• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

It never happens quite like we think...

Dedbeet

Bluelighter
From another thread (thought it would particularly fit here) -- this is in response to someone who asked what they could expect from a drug comedown, then reported afterward that it wasn't that bad.

It never happens quite like we think.

And for the simplest of reasons -- when you started this thread, you were asking what it was gonna be like, i.e. it hadn't happened yet.

Thus, it couldn't have been what you were thinking -- as the actuality, it had to happen differently than any anticipation.

And when you wrote the above, it had already happened -- and so the comedown is now a memory, a summed-up impression like "it wasn't too bad".

Thus, it couldn't have been what you were thinking -- as the actuality, it had to happen differently than any memory.

Life is what actually happens when we don't think about it, and it never occurs as anticipated or remembered.

No comedown is a big deal if there's no anticipation and no clinging to memory -- even the worst horror-show comedown is simply a motion picture.

And I hear people pay to see those ;).

Peace...

Whence the illusion?

You are basically stating Kants phenomenal and noumenal worlds. We perceive everything subjectively. Many philosophers have had ideas like this dating back to Platos world of ideal forms.

You might enjoy reading about those if this intrests you.
Any impressions I got from his writings would be subjective, i.e. my own.

Thought/mind constitutes the illusion of objectivity.

And thought/mind is subjective.

Peace...

Last edited:
Owning thought

Possibly one of the most important (and ego-busting) understandings when it comes to non-duality has to do with owning thought.

For example, many would say these words are the thoughts of their author who posted them, and in an imaginary sense they are -- but not actually.

These are actually the thoughts of the one reading this message and thinking them this very moment, and these thoughts are arising this moment, word by word, as they are read.

Whose thoughts are these, imaginarily?

Whose thoughts are these, actually?

Peace...

If these are *actually* the thoughts of their author, then there's an 'other out there' to react to, argue with, get upset with, etc.

If these are *actually* the thoughts of the one reading this message now and thinking the words (thoughts) as they read them, there isn't any 'other out there' to react to.

I gotcha...

but here:
Nothing "outside/other" was actually contacted.

The way 'I' think of the universal one-ness is different from the way 'you' are describing it (quotation marks denoting the obvious folly of our wording system). For me, everything is one giant system, containing everything that ever was an ever will be-- people, nature, thoughts, concepts, everything. In my point of view, every person is at the same time an individual and a part of the whole. I'm not really having a conversation with myself if the person that is 'my best friend' is standing across from me, speaking, but at the same time, we are both (and all of us are), part of this one-ness.

Perhaps these are two radically different interpretations.

A view of the dream

The one reading these words here (whoever they may be) is currently thinking these here thoughts, as they read them.

This is the bare actuality of the situation, regardless of verbal content.

Therefore, if the one thinking these here thoughts reacted to the 'other' who wrote this message, that 'other' would be their own thought construct -- their own creation.

With nothing "outside/other" ever actually contacted.

The sense of separation involves taking imagination (subjective thought) to actually represent an objective reality.

One's own thoughts are given power to really stand in for "people, places and things out there" -- to the point of reacting to others on a mailing list that were never actually "out there" except as one's own thoughts on one's own computer screen.

Thoughts that are objectified and projected as "actual contact with real, separate others out there".

And no contact ever actually occurred -- except as one's own objectified/projected thought-creations.

Objective reality, the entire world out there, is the mind of the one reading this message -- and has no actual existence apart, except as objectified/ projected to "really be/represent other".

Which it never could, because it was always oneself (formless/awareness), objectifying and projecting other (form/universe) as though they were separate.

And they were not.

That's essentially the dream that is woken up from.

Last edited:
*Merged*
Your musings on objective/subjective, solipsism, identity as illusion etc do not need to be a new thread every time dedbeet. You can post your new but not all that different musings in one of the threads you have already started.

Please do not start multiple threads during the same day or couple days that aren't very distinct from one another. Thanks.

But, if these thoughts are just another part of the collective unity (whatever you want to call the non-dual universe), are they somehow stored up in a bank, waiting to be thought?
This might sound funny, but... who knows? I haven't the vaguest clue.

The moment you say "the brain", nothing has happened but another thought -- coming from who knows where!

Peace...

*Merged*
Your musings on objective/subjective, solipsism, identity as illusion etc do not need to be a new thread every time dedbeet. You can post your new but not all that different musings in one of the threads you have already started.

Please do not start multiple threads during the same day or couple days that aren't very distinct from one another. Thanks.
Okey doke, Enki.

I ask your forgiveness, at nearly five days/nights overstimulated and with no sleep -- things get a bit scatty. I can hardly believe I'm still posting at all.

Peace...

^Its OK mate, get some rest :) Your content is fine I'm just trying to keep things organized and tidy.