Is there a way to make new (possibly less advanced) members feel more welcome?

Thanks mate.

Off topic, but basically, on Bluelight mobile, if I go to edit a post and simply click in the text box to do my edit, the post just gets deleted. Quite peculiar.

Quite a few people have had the same problem as this. I don't understand why Bluelight since it seems to be limited in what it can do compared to the desktop version for instance, not seeing nsfw context.

Evey

^Yeah, that's another one, nsfw stuff is permanently censored. Could just use desktop but I dislike the awkward resizing on my phone. I mentioned the edit/delete thing in the 'mobile support' thread stickied in support but I think, like all stickied threads, it gets overlooked.

Sorry for further topic offness.

No Rhun it didn't happen that way. She knee full well that being queer was a part of my identity and she tried to take it away from me as many people have done before. It's disgusting and to not apologise for it is incredibly cowardly and I have zero respect for her now. Me identifying as queer is similar to a person of African decent identifying with the "N" word or like a physically disabled person identifying with the word cripple. It's taking the power away from the insult and reclaiming those terms. Evey obviously hasn't got a clue as to what that means and instead of doing some reading and self educating, she just spouted her privileged crap.

^ seeing an argument like this is not very welcoming. not to criticise - just to place comments in perspective...

i think the single thing people can do to make people feel welcome is to welcome them in nmi, answer their initial questions and help them navigate to the forum(s) best-suited to help them. i try to post in there when i can but it's never frequently enough.

alasdair

^ agreed.

No Rhun it didn't happen that way. She knee full well that being queer was a part of my identity and she tried to take it away from me as many people have done before. It's disgusting and to not apologise for it is incredibly cowardly and I have zero respect for her now. Me identifying as queer is similar to a person of African decent identifying with the "N" word or like a physically disabled person identifying with the word cripple. It's taking the power away from the insult and reclaiming those terms. Evey obviously hasn't got a clue as to what that means and instead of doing some reading and self educating, she just spouted her privileged crap.

I reread her post and I see now where she mentioned that she knew of your sexual orientation (I don't want to say sexual preferences because it's part of who you are and you were born with it, so it's not a preference if that makes sense).

You're right, how you choose to label yourself is entirely up to you. I would just be careful when labelling others (even those that also are attracted to the same gender) because they might not be comfortable with it. Which is their right, same way it's yours to identify and call yourself what you will.

That being said, I don't think Evey had any malicious intent. There's an ignore feature if you feel that's best or you can take it to PMs. I don't think it's worth arguing about or being upset over, I think she just didn't understand where you were coming from. Better to just not let it get to you. If a post breaks the rules, report it.

There is a way...I would tell them to make tons of "shitposts" and soon they will feel right at home ;)

Wow. I'm new here and the thread I thought I was checking out turned into a argument about something totally different. I'm trying to feel this community out not fit in, which is a natural process for me. If I end up fitting in that's great, but if I don't I hope it has nothing to do with fancy words and or other people's ignorances. Thank God my self worth does not come from other people's opinion of me. Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread or off topic.

bluelight is populated by people so it's simply going to reflect how people behave in real life. except, here, people have anonymity so many people behave in ways they would not if face to face with a person in real life.

unfortunately, for many, they feel that's a license to abuse or belittle others and disrupt the community. while we can warn and infract - sometimes banning people from the site temporarily so they get the message - some people are just going to be dicks. the best thing you can do is ignore them.

welcome.

alasdair

Thanks alasdairm. I like the way you respond to people's questions/comments. I hope to communicate with you more in the soon future. I'm still feeling out the process of posting on the correct threads bring only a green light . Any advice would be much appreciated. By the way I'm a 35 yr old male from NY. I've been abusing opiares, mostly herion for 21 yrs. Been on subs six years now looking to wean off.

SchapMd - if your unsure where to post you can always use the Homeless section, one of the mods will move for you and then you can get a feel of where your posts belong?

Pretty much any section will simply move your post for you if you post in the wrong section etc so don't be afraid of posting :)

Thanks bearlove! I appreciate your input. In my world it's the little things that make up the big things. IE ...someone answering a question without sarcasm or judgement, just straight to the gate.
Peace

Hi, Enlight Spurett. I'd also like to welcome you to Bluelight and say hello. I do my best to avoid labels and all that. I can call myself anything I like but dislike others putting me down.

I haven't posted many articles myself. These days, I use a different typeface and usually add a photo or two. I still haven't learned how to find my posts from the past and asked a moderator for help with that.

I am enjoying my time on Bluelight. I only have a couple of people in my life with whom I can be honest. E.g. I am on a clinic and surely don't tell my clinician much of anything about using, etc. Here, I can say pretty much anything. I like the above advice: if I don't understand a topic, I keep my mouth closed and my ears open. I am 63 years-old and have learned much in my short time on earth. I like to share myself with others but only when I am wanted.

23k6ct0.jpg
[/IMG]

So, take care, Enlight Spurrett. Don't let anyone put you down. See you down the Post Road. Mikie
:)

welcome to bluelight.

you can create a new thread on bluelight by clicking the 'NEW THREAD' button (this button:
newthread.gif
)

you can respond to an existing thread by clicking the 'POST REPLY' button (this button:
reply.gif
)

if you need further help, post in the support forum.

alasdair

^Find the most relevant forum, click post new thread. Ask away :) If not sure which forum, post in the homeless forum and mods can shift it.