Is there a way to make new (possibly less advanced) members feel more welcome?

Enlight Spurrett

Bluelighter
So I've been a member for a short while now and I'm still not sure where I fit in here. There seems to be some elitism on here which is unattractive. I feel anxious to post due to feeling stupid because I'm not as good with chemistry as others. I had a shit education and I am unable to attend college due to disabilities. All of my learnings (academia wise) have all been from personal research with a history of a lack of a computer. Anyway, maybe an inexperienced group would be a good idea? A way to share advice and tips informally and to support one another?

welcome to bluelight.

we already have the forum you are describing - Basic Drug Discussion. its' the natural starting point for a lot of bluelighters who have questions about drug use. why not start there?

where is this pressure to post content with which you're not so familiar coming from? i'm not as good at chemistry as others either :)

alasdair

Yea I was thinking of basic drug discussion.

Also I see thay you're from the UK so why not join us in European n African Drug Discussion (EADD)? We're a friendly n welcoming bunch n would love to have you.

Welcome to Bluelight <3

Evey

Some language use may seem intimidating at first, but I like to think that the Bluelight community is willing to answer most questions, complex or otherwise. If terminology is proving difficult, either google it for clarity or simply ask :)

The suggestion of Basic Drug Discussion is the most appropriate. Enter EADD at your own risk! ;)

Thanks for the info folks. I think I just needed to settle in a little. I've still not found my place yet but I'm getting there! :)

After spending more time on here, I've realised that there are some fantastic people on here. I'm glad I didn't let first impressions take away my good experiences post joining. I guess it's like anywhere really. Good and bad people. I'm glad to be here.

^I think many web forums seem a touch hostile at first; there can appear to be a tightly knit community that feels a bit exclusive. Most of the time though, this is more of an illusion I think.

I'm glad that you are here too :)

Thanks for the info folks. I think I just needed to settle in a little. I've still not found my place yet but I'm getting there! :)

After spending more time on here, I've realised that there are some fantastic people on here. I'm glad I didn't let first impressions take away my good experiences post joining. I guess it's like anywhere really. Good and bad people. I'm glad to be here.

Glad you're more settled in the site now :)

Evey

Yeah it did seem a bit cliquey and also elitist at first. People were rude to me and mocked my posts which put me off. Not happened since. Thank you for the warm welcomes! :) I send you virtual hugs! :)

Yeah it did seem a bit cliquey and also elitist at first. People were rude to me and mocked my posts which put me off. Not happened since. Thank you for the warm welcomes! :) I send you virtual hugs! :)

When I was new, the best advice I got was if you don't know something don't pretend you do. It's totally okay to not be an expert on everything. We were all in your shoes at one point and many of us also learned by doing our own research.

A surefire way to put yourself in the line of fire is to give incorrect and potentially dangerous advice. Avoid that and you'll be fine, I promise. It's okay to just ask questions for a while and not give answers to you're confident you can answer them.

Welcome to BL btw! Oh and avoid The Lounge.

rhun gives ace advice here. In our two-dimensional world it's so easy to get misunderstanding. You may be trying to help where it may appear to others like you're showing off n that sort of things gets people's backs up. Also the focus forum tend to be where most of the discussions are what people research for on Google.

Then some people are on substances, some may be on comedowns n others going through withdrawal. Also some people may have lost others to drugs so may be more passionate about harm reduction.

Update: I've read some of your posts n I feel that, in my opinion, they seem good good. You ask questions, offer advice n seem like a friendly person.

Take care <3

Evey

Last edited:
^ thank you. And good job being so welcoming to new members. I would caution against putting yourself on a position to critique other members, if OPs posts broke the BLUA mods will handle it and aside from that sounds like they're doing better :)

From the BLUA:

post or upload any content that victimizes, harasses, degrades, or intimidates an individual or group of individuals on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or any other reason;

That should include using the word gay to describe things that are lame or just using the word in a negative context in general.

The use of the term queer is now part of the ever-growing acronym. Its not meant to be offensive IMO.

Just sayin.

Fuck you Eve! I'm not gay! I'm queer and you have no right to take that power away from me! Maybe you should do some research before spouting rubbish. You just proved Rhun's point about giving bad advice and talking about things you know nothing about. People have been using that word as an insult for years and I as well as many people have decided to take the power back. Plus you're christian (I've seen the proof on another post). You christians have been bigoted and prejudiced against LGBPTQIA+ people for a long time so don't lecture me or try to gain dome kind of moral high ground. Your religion is abusive, bigoted and vile and I want nothing to do with you.

And thank you Rhun :)

^C'mon now, settle it down. I think evey is just mistaken, I don't think she is trying to be offensive. Miscomunnication. Which isn't even a word apparently.

My earlier post got mysteriously deleted when I tried to edit it.

Fuck you Eve! I'm not gay! I'm queer and you have no right to take that power away from me! Maybe you should do some research before spouting rubbish. You just proved Rhun's point about giving bad advice and talking about things you know nothing about. People have been using that word as an insult for years and I as well as many people have decided to take the power back. Plus you're christian (I've seen the proof on another post). You christians have been bigoted and prejudiced against LGBPTQIA+ people for a long time so don't lecture me or try to gain dome kind of moral high ground. Your religion is abusive, bigoted and vile and I want nothing to do with you.

And thank you Rhun :)

Is it possible Evey was just unaware of your sexual orientation and thought that you were using that word in a hateful way toward those attracted to the same gender? That's the way I took it but admittedly I haven't read the posts she was talking about.

^ thank you. And good job being so welcoming to new members. I would caution against putting yourself on a position to critique other members, if OPs posts broke the BLUA mods will handle it and aside from that sounds like they're doing better :)

From the BLUA:

That should include using the word gay to describe things that are lame or just using the word in a negative context in general.

Thanks - you seem nice x

Evey

i restored your post, willow11.

alasdair

Thanks mate.

Off topic, but basically, on Bluelight mobile, if I go to edit a post and simply click in the text box to do my edit, the post just gets deleted. Quite peculiar.