View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is salvia really a game?

ROBOtussin

Bluelighter
So today I finally wanted to take another shot at salvia. (4th time) I had a little pipe and smoked the salvia in my friends car as he was driving. I started to get a little confused and scared like all the other times. It wasn't an intense trip, but it was enough to scare me some. We drove somewhere and went to eat. After we ate, I wanted to give it another go. So I packed a bowl and took a huge hit. I felt as if I was encountering salvia herself and for once I figured out how to play the game I was in. I loved the rest of my very visual trip. 15 mins later i took another hit and it was amazing. best trip of my life on salvia by far. I was confused but had finally figured it out and it was intense and amazing. It really felt like I "beat the game of Salvia." It's not like now I can control my trip, but more like now I can lead it in the direction of my choosing.

Has anyone had any experiences that are similar? Where you finally can figure salvia out?

I think mainly the thing is that whoever is using salvia, has to figure out their own way to accept the trip in order to actually like it.

Oh and one more thing. Has anyone else felt that when you see the world while tripping on salvia, that it is almost in layers or lines? Thats the only way i can really describe it.

Last edited:
No rules. Haha. When did it the first couple times id feel as if I was stuck somewhere and needed to get out, no matter how my mindset was going into it and how accepting I was to the salvia. This trip, i figured something out thats hard to explain during my trip, and used it in my next one which actually made me have a good salvia trip. Which I think is almost unheard of lol

Could you attempt to explain it? I know words rarely suffice for describing anything about psychedelics but it would definitely help me (and others) get somewhat of an understanding of what you figured out.

Share the knowledge :)

lol drugs aren't a game.
It's just a trip, and your mind will play tricks on you.

Do you seriously think salvia is a game? I don't get... what you're trying to say

Hmm, so you feel "stuck" and you need to get out. I always just think I'm part of a group that's left and I'm trying to catch up to them, but it's not that big a deal if I don't. So the story saliva tells me isn't as severe as yours. It's more of a "hey man your buddies got on the bus, better get goin," - a gentle prodding from a friendly acquaintance - instead of your kind of experience, which sounds more like a axe-wielding maniac screaming "You're trapped in HELL! Now squirm little piggy, squirm!" into your bleeding ears.

I guess beating the "game" depends on what's being played. If you figure it out in more detail, write back.

A lot of my experiences with salvia seemed to have a tie in with various television game shows, most notably Wheel of Fortune. It seems like my trips on salvia either consist of playing a game of Wheel of Fortune, trying to figure my whole name out.. Or getting crushed and/or chased by the actual wheel that's spun on the show. I've had a couple of trips that felt like I was being rolled up in a carpet that was led into a brick wall, but it seems like I can never get away with some sort of multi-colored wheel turning. Most of the time it's accompanied by someone/something telling me or forcing me to believe "this is what YOU wanted, and this is ALL for YOU!", but in the sickest way possible. Every single time I've broke through on salvia, there's a carnival or circus theme going on, and I feel like an incredibly spectacular event is taking place but something ruined it in a very painful way. The spotlight is always right on top of me. Hell, the main reason I stopped experimenting with salvia is because of the intense sense of physical pain I 'felt' during the experiences. I feel like I've been forced through a mechanical seperation machine or as though my whole body has been caught in the unzipping of some type of enormous zipper in reality. The physical sensations are just way too unpleasant for me anymore.

At the beginning of my trip I started to kinda lose touch with reality. I didn't see it, but I swear I could feel salvia there with me or something, and no I do not really believe it was a game, but in my trip, thats the only words that i can really use to explain it. Well once I felt salvia there, I had some sort of weird thoughts go by in mind and it felt like I beat salvia in like a game pretty much.

I guess it kinds feels like now i can actually "feel salvia there." Like when i know nothing when reality starts to fade, I can still feel salvia there and I know that everything is going to be amazing. The other times i did salvia, i couldnt remember anything. But even though on my last trip I was in some sideways lined dimension with no memory of reality, i could still feel salvia and it made me accept it i guess.

It is veeeeery hard to describe salvia. You know what I mean if you have tried it and broken through.

A lot of my experiences with salvia seemed to have a tie in with various television game shows, most notably Wheel of Fortune. It seems like my trips on salvia either consist of playing a game of Wheel of Fortune, trying to figure my whole name out.. Or getting crushed and/or chased by the actual wheel that's spun on the show. I've had a couple of trips that felt like I was being rolled up in a carpet that was led into a brick wall, but it seems like I can never get away with some sort of multi-colored wheel turning. Most of the time it's accompanied by someone/something telling me or forcing me to believe "this is what YOU wanted, and this is ALL for YOU!", but in the sickest way possible. Every single time I've broke through on salvia, there's a carnival or circus theme going on, and I feel like an incredibly spectacular event is taking place but something ruined it in a very painful way. The spotlight is always right on top of me. Hell, the main reason I stopped experimenting with salvia is because of the intense sense of physical pain I 'felt' during the experiences. I feel like I've been forced through a mechanical seperation machine or as though my whole body has been caught in the unzipping of some type of enormous zipper in reality. The physical sensations are just way too unpleasant for me anymore.

My first trip I thought I was near a train that had a carnival type theme that later unzipped to my friends geometric faces staring at me calling my name. As they left on a train out of that reality

While mine were not in the forms of games so much I did have some transitional trips with Salvia that included struggles but ultimately let to my further enjoyment of salvia.

One included me ending up in some psychedelic tundra that I was pinned to the floor of. There where these little children beings running around and mocking me telling me that I didn't exist. Well I started to try and get up and while doing this I realized that my struggle to get up was intertwined with my struggle to prove the child beings wrong. Showing them that I did indeed exist. So I did struggle and eventually stood up. It felt invigorating. I could look around and appreciate the landscape that had previously been so foreign and hard to interpret. Many times after that It seemed I could pop in and out of the "salvia world" with more and more ease.

To me it's kind of like a "Magic Eye". When you first look at it you just think "huh?!" but once you learn look at them properly it gets easier and easier.

I haven't done salvia in quite a while now though. To be honest, even after all of the good experiences I've had with salvia I'm still kind of scared to try it again.

So something happened and now during your experiences you have an intuition, however distant, that what you're experiencing isn't a thorough mortal threat but has something to do with the presence of a drug. Maybe you've just done it and come back enough to learn that when some part of you anchored in sobriety feels the drug it means that whatever's happening shouldn't be taken directly as presented, and so you're not as caught up by it.

It'll be interesting to see if this recognition is retained at higher doses. Typically, one of the first things people remember about their sober self as salvia wears off is that they've used a drug. This could be a function of the drug simply being metabolized and making way for the old reality to trickle in, but it may also have to do with being in salvia space long enough to recognize it as intangible or impermanent even in the midst of a level 5 experience.

My 1st experience was a level 5. My friends tryed to carry me into the house by my shoulders and i jumped forward and face planted into a couch. All i remember was being a ceiling panel with no ego. My experience today was probably a 4. A level 5 could mean confusion and mind fuck for me though, Ill have to try it out sometime again. But I noticed that being in a place that your not only familiar with, but have also only had good memories in, greatly affects your trip. And I know what you mean by a "Magic Eye" too.

I love shrooms and would definitely trip on them over salvia any day. The experience of a salvia trip is just so bazaar and interesting, that I want to try it again though.

So something happened and now during your experiences you have an intuition, however distant, that what you're experiencing isn't a thorough mortal threat but has something to do with the presence of a drug. Maybe you've just done it and come back enough to learn that when some part of you anchored in sobriety feels the drug it means that whatever's happening shouldn't be taken directly as presented, and so you're not as caught up by it.

It'll be interesting to see if this recognition is retained at higher doses. Typically, one of the first things people remember about their sober self as salvia wears off is that they've used a drug. This could be a function of the drug simply being metabolized and making way for the old reality to trickle in, but it may also have to do with being in salvia space long enough to recognize it as intangible or impermanent even in the midst of a level 5 experience.

Ya that sums it up well. I also agree about the part where you start to "sober up". I think a lot of people who don't enjoy it hit this phase and start to fight the effects and it feels "dirty". If you just relax and close your eyes it will be a much longer satisfying experience.

I have gone through a partially analogous relationship with my dreams, probably many of us have. When I was younger I was always IN my dreams, and they were fairly concrete. Now, even though I may still have a first person point of view in them, I almost always relate to myself in my dreams as if I was a character in a really transporting movie. I have more weird dreams, and a good portion of the real story is something I watch in a movie theater or on TV. I think maybe the screens are a kind of conceit my mind builds into the dream in order to distance me from especially abstract content that, because of all my dream experience, I would recognize as a dream and wake up from before receiving what are often fascinating or important symbolic messages.

Given enough time with level 5 salvia experiences, perhaps the mind can figure out similar ploys to pull us out of even their most panicked currents, so that instead we stand on a beach, or at least float over their undertows in a buoy, and appreciate the sights we hadn't seen from a more cerebral perspective.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any experiences that are similar? Where you finally can figure salvia out?

I think mainly the thing is that whoever is using salvia, has to figure out their own way to accept the trip in order to actually like it.

Has anyone else felt that when you see the world while tripping on salvia, that it is almost in layers or lines? Thats the only way i can really describe it.

No. I've had over a hundred trips on this odd stuff and it'll still surprise from time to time. But I have come to terms with what the trip is often like.

Most people don't bother to smoke it enough to find they're perfect dose, or they don't like the immediate on-set. It can be too intense for many people and it has less euphoria than DMT.

Layers or lines? Not quite. I've reached every plateau on Salvia and the trip varies on the amount smoked and the quality of the Salvia extract. I've left my body and floated in the solar system with complete ego loss on higher doses.

On Lower doses everything can seem to turn into a cartoon world; almost. Lights are more pronounced and sounds seem to take on a different tone. Sometimes things seem symmetrical though. A lot of people feel like Salvia pulls them to the left or the right; weird side effect.

can be too intense for many people and it has less euphoria than DMT.

Layers or lines? Not quite. I've reached every plateau on Salvia and the trip varies on the amount smoked and the quality of the Salvia extract. I've left my body and floated in the solar system with complete ego loss on higher doses.

i once was on saturns rings talking to a magical bean. i enjoy salvia, just gotta let yourself go and not fight it, like someone said

My first trip I thought I was near a train that had a carnival type theme that later unzipped to my friends geometric faces staring at me calling my name. As they left on a train out of that reality

I've heard the train theme and unzipping theme a few times. My friend had the train thing happen to him.

I think you finally let go with salvia and that's why your experience was pleasureable. I get lines and layers on the majority of my trips. I often feel like i'm in an underworld. I have yet to meet the 'salvia' entity, although I have seen a horse-like looking thing once.

I have found that even once i've had a pleasureable experience with salvia on subsequent journeys it doesn't necessarily happen again. It's erratic in producing blissful, ecstastic experiences for me but it does happen.

i've tripped on salvia d. atleast 8 times now. each time i trip i get a strong physical 'goose-bump' sensation all over my body. if the trip is intense, a feeling of being hot is associated. my first trip was a bowl smoked out of a water bong, and effects were instantaneous after i exhaled the smoke. i was listening to some sort of trance, and i feel almost assured it's what made my trip as intense as it was. the beat of the song was at a steady tempo and was also looping during the peak of my trip (same repetitive sounds looping). i remember looking up at my white ceiling above me right before i started tripping intensely and suddenly all i saw was myself laying down and my door to my room was now diagonally high up near the ceiling where i couldnt physically reach it, that is, if this was reality. subsequently, the door opened and i was behind it, but then again i realized here i was sitting on my bed where i was right before i tripped. my minds started blending together as me and the reflection of myself in the door started to gaze each other in the eye. i felt a very strong scary rushing sensation at this point. the music was following the 'movement of the trip'. both of my minds started trying to escape the room at the same time but, all that was behind the same door was myself again. my minds blended together in a cycle as i kept opening the door. something so unreal felt so real for once in my life. I felt for sure that i was witnessing true reality-- reality as i knew once before didn't exist. my trip suddenly ended.-- i felt extremely spaced out and my heart felt like it was going to blow up. my clothes were drenched with sweat and i've never felt so hot before. i was definitely frightened.
...that pretty much sums up my first trip.. i've definitely learn to respect the drug and not to underestimate it's effects. i feel it's important to be mentally prepared and look at what's going on at a more philosophical level than preparing for a 'trip' now.

Last edited:
"There are at least two kinds of games. One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning, an infinite game for the purpose of continuing to play." - James P. Carse