• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is Oral morphine really that weak ?

EEhouseEE

Bluelighter
So ive been reading about morphine alot lately because i can get the 200mg tabs. Why are so many people saying its so weak? I saw on conversion charts that 20-30mg morphine is like about 10mg oxycodone. So if a person who takes about 20mg oxy to get very high, would 50 mg oral morphine be a good starting dose.

According to people here even a non tolerant person to opiates needs at least 40-50mg oral morphine for a first time rec dose, is this true?

Nope, very not true. An opioid naive individual will absolutely feel and get nicely high from 20-30mg morphine. 200mg would definitely kill them.

The people that say it's weak are most certainly individuals with HUGE tolerances (or at least higher than your run of the mill opioid user). Anyone who doesn't have a nice tolerance to opioids who says morphine is weak, well, they just don't know what the fuck they're really talking about. Either than or they screwed up trying to smoke/eat(? lol)/inject or plug it, so much so that little got into their system and they incorrectly blame the drug (as opposed to themselves) for their lack of inebriation.

Even with a mild-moderate tolerance to heroin, I used to thoroughly enjoy the mild yet very pleasant buzz of 60mg morphine (and they were ER pills I chewed up no less). Likewise, at the time, 45mg got me a bit more than baseline high. 90mg at the time was a very nice dose too in terms of almost getting to the point of nodding. Of course none of these doses had me FUUUUCKED up and nodding real hard or about to OD, but they absolutely, positively got me high (and as I said at the time I had a mild-moderate heroin tolerance).

So yea, morphine is a wonderful drug %)

btw, if you want to get "fucked up" and experience pretty much (next to the rush from shooting, which I do not suggest you or anyone else get into if they aren't already) all of what opioids tend to offer, 40-50mg would be a good first time oral dose (assuming no tolerance).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true if you only need 20mg's of oxy to get high then you'll be flying high off a 30mg morphine.

Morphine is really strong and it's oral ba is only 30%, that means when it's IVd it's going to be 3x as strong. Chance are if you have no tolerance and do a 30mg morphine you might even throw up. I know I did when I first took one.

^+1 yup, I forgot to mention that lovely side effect, which goes again to demonstrate morphine's power, especially to someone without any/much of a tolerance

Plugging morphine works real well too =D

I started on 100mg of morphine and moved up to 200-300mg of morphine. Very potent at 300+mg for me
Also, I've IV'd, snorted, and taken it orally. I've only IV'd 100mg at most

If you get "very high" off 20mg oxy, then I'm guessing you won't notice morphine's terrible oral BA, and should dose a bit lower since it's your first time and all.

If to get high I drink Poppy Pod Tea using 115-120 g of grounds. How many mg of Oral Morphine will I need?

Have estimated that Poppy tea from 120 g of grounds should yield approximately 400 mg of Morphine, though the Morphine may be in a form that results in slower absorption rate. The codeine from the tea will convert to a small amount of Morphine, and the other alkaloids will rely on protracted biosynthesis before creating a narcotic effect.

You should be very careful using non-pharmaceutical opiates like poppy pods because the amount of alkaloids varies immensely.

You should be very careful using non-pharmaceutical opiates like poppy pods because the amount of alkaloids varies immensely.

I am careful, otherwise I would have been pushing at a higher and higher dose. I have days on a 'maintenance dose of 55 to 65 g during 3 or 4 weekdays- thus my tolerance has just about stabilised. Avoid Benzos and Alcohol on 'get high days'.

So ive been reading about morphine alot lately because i can get the 200mg tabs. Why are so many people saying its so weak? I saw on conversion charts that 20-30mg morphine is like about 10mg oxycodone. So if a person who takes about 20mg oxy to get very high, would 50 mg oral morphine be a good starting dose.

According to people here even a non tolerant person to opiates needs at least 40-50mg oral morphine for a first time rec dose, is this true?

The conversion charts are for the equivalent analgesic (pain killing) doses of various opiates. This often does not equate to equivalent doses to get the same high. The conversion chart is a good reference for determining doses that you can tolerate. Since everybody finds certain opiates to be more euphoric than others, the equivalent dose is a good starting point for figuring out what doses of different opiates may give you similar effects. If someone finds one opiate to be a lot more euphoric than another, they may need to take a higher dose than the equivalent in order to feel a similar high. It's most likely the people that don't find morphine to be that euphoric that are the ones saying that it is weak.

The ROA is very important to account for when referencing conversion charts. This chart compares opiate doses and takes BA into consideration. It says that oxycodone is 1.5-2 times the strength of oral morphine, making 10mg or oral morphine equivalent to 5mg of oxycodone taken orally. Since you take 20mg of oxycodone you should start off with 40mg of (oral) morphine and see how you feel from that. If you choose to use a different ROA, then you have to recalculate the equivalent dose to account for the different potency.

If to get high I drink Poppy Pod Tea using 115-120 g of grounds. How many mg of Oral Morphine will I need?

Have estimated that Poppy tea from 120 g of grounds should yield approximately 400 mg of Morphine, though the Morphine may be in a form that results in slower absorption rate. The codeine from the tea will convert to a small amount of Morphine, and the other alkaloids will rely on protracted biosynthesis before creating a narcotic effect.

The potency of different batches of poppy pods varies too much to give a definitive answer as to the equivalent dose of oral morphine for the 120g of poppy grounds. As with any drug, start low and work your way up. Since you have a tolerance you don't have to start that low, but you still need to be careful. I have no idea what 120g of poppy grounds would roughly equate to because all of the batches of poppy pods that I have taken have varied so much in potency. I would keep your starting dose of oral morphine below 100mg though, so maybe somewhere around 75mg, and see how you feel from that.

Make sure that you allow some time for the morphine to kick in before deciding on whether or not to increase the dose. I find morphine to be one of the slower acting drugs in terms of when the peak effects are reached.

Last edited:
I am careful, otherwise I would have been pushing at a higher and higher dose. I have days on a 'maintenance dose of 55 to 65 g during 3 or 4 weekdays- thus my tolerance has just about stabilised. Avoid Benzos and Alcohol on 'get high days'.

Its kinda hard to avoid benzos after doing a stimulant, you need something to calm you down. Also most of the time i do stimulants i combine with alcohol lol.

Is Morphine like Codeine where certain peoples bodies dont break it down right, maybe thats why people say its weak? Although I do know it has a low BA of 30%.......

Not only does the oral BA suck, but it's subject to extensive 1st pass metabolism. I require insane dosages of morphine if taken orally, which is why I never waste morphine orally.

Is Morphine like Codeine where certain peoples bodies dont break it down right, maybe thats why people say its weak? Although I do know it has a low BA of 30%.......

I don't think that's the case because even though I don't get much euphoria from morphine I still get its pain killing effects, so if my body wasn't breaking it down I wouldn't be getting any of those effects. It is definitely unique in that a lot of opiate users either like it or don't like it, but I don't know the reasons for this (other than subjective preference for a stimulating opiate over a sedating one). I find it very odd that I like heroin but don't like morphine, and I have even IV'd morphine but other than the rush and needing a lot lower of a dose compared to oral, it felt the same with each ROA.

If the morphine is the 30mg ir pills then you could eat them. The extended release morphine pills ndidn't do anything for me as far as getting high goes.

If the morphine is the 30mg ir pills then you could eat them. The extended release morphine pills ndidn't do anything for me as far as getting high goes.

The Morphine SR pills get me really high & are great for pain relief.

Im assuming you have a high tolerance.............

Nope - codeine is like that because it needs to be metabolised into it's active drugs (therefore codeine is a prodrug). Codeine metabolism is not fully understood; 5-10% is metabolised to morphine, and a higher percentage to codeine-6-glucuronide, which may be responsible for a lot of the opioid effects. People's ability to metabolise it to morphine varies - some people are lacking the necessary enzyme.

Morphine is active in it's own right.

So if morphines bioavaiabilty oral is about 30% and i take 100mg, does that acctually mean I am getting only 30mg of oral morphine?? If thats the case no fucking wonder its so weak

So if morphines bioavaiabilty oral is about 30% and i take 100mg, does that acctually mean I am getting only 30mg of oral morphine?? If thats the case no fucking wonder its so weak
not to mention the first pass metabolism which ranges up to 82% of that 30% bioavailability. I think 30% is pretty generous for oral BA.