• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

is myspace making us more "americanized"?

muzby

Bluelighter
yes... the spelling in the title is deliberate...

think about it.. typically, the australian attitude is generally not about self promotion, and with our great "tall poppy syndrome", aussies generally shoot down anyone who does seem to talk themselves up..

however, take one look at myspace.. its all about making yourself seem exciting and all about how many friends you have.... its all about popularity and self promotion.... very american wouldn't you say???

for those on myspace, what do you think? do you have to "promote" yourself or act differently to how you would in everyday life?

this "tell all" attitude that these sites are promoting seems very oprah.. and very anti aussie... (yay for normally bottling stuff up until you crack!!)

so.. wot are others thoughts? will this americanisation flow onto everyday life? or will it stop when people get bored of social networking sites??

it really depends what you use myspace for.. I use it for sending stupid/funny pictures to friends & to listen to music at work.. i dont speak to many people via myspace.

its pretty funny i used to hate the thing (for the self loving attitudes on there) but boredom really got the better of me & now its just another thing i have to waste my time on :)

What can i say... I have to agree there!!!
Yanky go home... And maybe, i hope they stay there:p ;)

I found an old friend on myspace, and i can't believe how different she is on that site compared to how she was/is in person. I spoke to her recently, and she spent the entire conversation telling me about all this "myspace drama" she was experiencing, people abusing her in her "blog", leaving nasty comments. I was absolutley gobsmacked that she had this entire other "life" with drama, tears, frustrations that has essentially stemmed from her computer. We have enough of that in our real lives, my mind boggles as to why people would want to invite more.

She's also gone emo. All of her myspace photos are taken by her, holding the camera at odd angles while she pouts at it, with dark eye-makeup and then tweaked in photoshop. :\ She's got 3 pages of photos. Funnily, it's the whole myspace thing that has made her so. Beforehand, she was just a 28 year old woman with a little boy, and when she joined myspace, she started dying her hair black, chopping it up, wearing dark makeup and whenever she spoke, everything was 'dark' and 'consuming'. Give me a break.

I guess i can see the merit of bands, singers, etc, creating a myspace page to promote their music, but as for individuals, i guess i just don't really understand it. It's all just so foreign to me. I hope that this transparency doesn't flow into everyday life any more than it has (wishful thinking I guess), because as far as i'm concerned, a teeny-tiny bit of mystery is awesome. :)

Last edited:
Just like watching the movie Titanic I'm going to be the last person in the world to have a MySpace page.

I don't know about Americanising, but it definitely is giving a leg up to lots of stupid people who probably wouldn't have stumbled into the internet otherwise.

But hopefully it will concentrate the stupidity and text message language prevalent amonst the next generation, and leave the rest of the internet a purer place.

I don't think it is.

Yes, it does have a large element of self promotion. But I look at that fact from people who need advertising to get a leg up ie. Bands, Comedians, Independent Film makers.

It's a big tool to use to find little things. A place to find like minded people easliy.

I like it a lot. I find out about Comedy gig's I would never have heard of (you have experienced this power muzby ;) ) and hopefully score plenty of freebies too for this years MICF.

I get to listen to band's I have never heard of, all you need is a name that you hear in a passing comment from someone.

I have come into contact with old high school friends that I haven't heard from since the last day of school.

I get random peoples perspective on my blog. Which I like very much.

This is all from one place.

Thank you myspace :p

I think it has its pros and cons, much like anything really. I personally don't have one, but I won't say that I never will, who knows.

The thing I don't like about it, is that it turns into an obsession for people, whether they admitt this or not - it does. How many times a day do you log on and check your space? People become very good at sharing themselves with people on myspace, and never feel the need to do that with real people. Fantastic. I personally don't need another addiction in my life.

I agree that sometimes people portray a false sense of themselves on myspace. In real life, people are going to judge you on what they see and hear from you, your behaviours. On myspace, you get to portay the bits of you that you want/allow people to see. I guess who says this is a bad thing, somewhat of a fantasy perhaps for some.

my friends partner has a myspace, and she says that he has become so addicted to myspace that he is more interested in rushing home to check and update his space then spending time with her or his friends now. He's more concerned with how many 'friends' and comments he can get on it, and what his 'friends' will think of it all. I know this is not true for all, but pretty sad all the same.

I miss the days when me and my boyfriend, my loved ones and my real friends turned up at each others house with a six pack or bottle of wine and sat around talking about mindless crap, enjoying eachothers company and enjoying being alive and all of life's simple pleasures. Instead, we're all inside on our own checking our myspace and blogging. Oh well.

Last edited:
KuriousKat said:
The thing I don't like about it, is that it turns into an obsession for people, whether they admitt this or not - it does. How many times a day do you log on and check your space?

You mean, a little like bluelight??

How bout second life?

:p

myspace sucks

myspace sucks ass you know why its myspace I dont like myspace or myspace in genral if you want to touch or see me talk to me in person then myspace comes alive like myspace then I want myspace because others have iut and make you feel like you need it but you dont myspace sucks ass and myspace does suck ass

I seriously had to take a breath after reading that post above yours deeCee, and I didn't even read it out aloud. :|

Keeping up a persona on an internet forum such as bluelight is reasonably similar to myspace don't you think? People that have said they don't understand how people get addicted to or get so absorbed in myspace, seem to be to be fairly hypocritical to me....

I guess it depends on whether you're keeping up a "persona" in the first place, doesn't it? When i discuss this whole myspace phenomena, i'm referring to people who treat it as their life, and forget that little something called "life". I know that this place (bluelight) is fun and i enjoy visiting and posting, but i can tell you that it takes up a teeny-tiny percentage of my life. So, no, I don't think i'm being hypocritical at all. :)

samadhi said:
I was absolutley gobsmacked that she had this entire other "life" with drama, tears, frustrations that has essentially stemmed from her computer. We have enough of that in our real lives, my mind boggles as to why people would want to invite more.

I guess i can see the merit of bands, singers, etc, creating a myspace page to promote their music, but as for individuals, i guess i just don't really understand it. It's all just so foreign to me. I hope that this transparency doesn't flow into everyday life any more than it has (wishful thinking I guess), because as far as i'm concerned, a teeny-tiny bit of mystery is awesome. :)

I was talking mainly about these two comments... Surely you can't be "gobsmacked" that your friend has another "life" on her computer? I mean, you do moderate a forum and you keep an online journal... :\

Myspace is her equivilent, however she obviously seems to take herself a lot more seriously than she should do.

I do see your comparison and don't necessarily disagree with it, generally speaking... however...

The main difference is, i essentially use my online journal to post photos, with a couple of sporadic entries in between. She is updating her journal at least 4 times per day, massive posts, she has taken it all too far, she's become obsessed. I can also tell you that i don't involve myself in the utter drama she seems to be involved in either. This is a message board, not my life. It has become her life. IMNSHO it's become far more than her taking herself a little seriously. Hell, she's even created a myspace account for her 6 year old son. :| So yeah, there is a big difference between her and I (and a large portion of the bluelight population). Just because i happen to moderate a forum, doesn't mean that i get caught up in all the stuff i deal with (which, if truth be known, is pretty negligible... you seem to overestimate what moderators do round here - well, in Aus Social anyway).

There is SO much information about her on her page, every little detail about her life... It's pretty disturbing, and i'm assuming hers isn't a particularly extreme case either. :\

Eh, i don't know anymore... :\=D

In my not so humble opinion as far as i'm aware... but that was around in my yahoo chat days ;) having said that, i was under the impression for a long time, that it meant "not so honest". hehe :p Does that make me a wannabe net junkie?

Last edited: