• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is melatonin considered a psychadelic in any way?

One time, around 7-8 hours mark after tripping on shrooms (level 2), I lay in bed, popped 20mg melatonin, smoked some weed and started reading an article. All of a sudden I'm back in a full blown lvl 3-4 with very obvious textual visual (The article i was reading was so distorted that it became unreadable since all the letters where moving in patterns).

Could be explained by hypnogogic imagery, although then you would have to explain that and how it's integrated with psychedelic effects.

Don't take such high dosages IMO, about 3 mg should be absolute max. I get such potent effects with about 1 mg or less (often just 250 ug) and wouldn't want to take much more. Yes it can be sedating somehow, but melatonin plays a role in your day and night rhythm and is a terrible candidate for using at any time other than the optimal moment to boost that rhythm or before it. For any other application like inducing sleep in general you would want to choose something else otherwise you are promoting a detrimental shift in your rhythm (at least, for most people with more trouble with late nights than early nights).

After tripping, melatonin is a poor choice too because again it wouldn't really aid much in counteracting the effects which keep you from sleeping (discounting complex interactions) - take an actual sedative if you must take anything. A serotonergic antagonist would work too but would be overkill and not the most responsible choice. You don't really want to fuck with your serotonergic system anyway unless you had to, just after you have done profound things to it.

Read the book Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks to discover how there are countless types of hallucinations which don't have to do with psychedelics and plenty of which don't even involve disease or dysfunction.

When I take a 3mg melatonin pill before bed, I have some crazy dreams. Sometimes, I'm awaken by pain near my ass. Melatonin is produced by the pineal gland, I have a feel this is some kind of activity at my root chakra.

I wake up in the morning a few minutes before my alarm clock :)

It sure helps with resetting your clock when you switch timezones - caffeine in the morning and then melatonin at night before bedtime has made jetlag almost not a thing for me.

maybe modafinil could be even better of a tool than caffeine but not sure..