• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is MDPV in/related the cathione family? settle a bet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedimafia

Bluelighter
I'm near positive MDPV is in the cathiione family. Am i wrong? Its not often i am so please folk settle this argument %)

Thats what i said it was a subsituted 3,4 methylene dioxy analogue of pyrovalerone

This is a matter of semantics - how much needs to be changed to stop calling it a cathinone? As cathinone is not a technical name, it's hard to say!

Methylone is a cathinone. (right everyone?)

Is MDPPP (methylone with a pyrolidine instead of the methylamino group) a cathinone? I'd find it hard to say no, as you just have a subsituent on the amine that gets named differently.

Is butylone a cathinone? Is buphedrone? Both of those have a longer carbon chain, but most people would consider them cathinones.

If the answer to both of those is yes, than you'd have to call MDPV a cathinone, whereas if you answer no to either of those, MDPV is not a cathinone.

On a more practical sense, they're all beta ketones, are active with the primary activity being that of a stimulant, they're generally of fairly similar durations (probably because the dominant metabolic path is reduction to the centrally inactive alcohol), and have broadly similar properties. I question whether it's meaningful to draw a line down the middle of these chemicals and say "these are cathinones, these are pyrovalerones, and they're different classes of drug".

TheAzo, I am a great fan of your posts. You're level headed and eloquent with solid knowledge, I see nothing but genuine help you offer people's queries. Thanks and keep up the good work.
Anyway... I digress. I would consider mephedrone a cathinone. And I have a nice point over there on my dresser all laid out to rail. Yyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy! Lol. Mephedrone... so good... so evil. ;)

actually it's 3,4 methylenedioxy substituted alpha-Pyrrolidinopentiophenone.

pyrovalerone is paramethyl alpha-Pyrrolidinopentiophenone.

Exactly my friend, but can you please explain why this is when the chemical name for this compound is 3,4,MethyleneDioxyPyrovalerone? Would clear up A lot, Peace :)

If you desperately want a yes or no, consider that the cathinone backbone is completely included in the MDPV structure regardless of bigger family backbones being in there.

If you ask me MDPV is a pyrovalerone analogue the 4-methyl being otherwise substituted and pyrovalerone being a cathinone, cathinone being a PEA.

Its in the superset.

If you desperately want a yes or no, consider that the cathinone backbone is completely included in the MDPV structure regardless of bigger family backbones being in there.

If you ask me MDPV is a pyrovalerone analogue the 4-methyl being otherwise substituted and pyrovalerone being a cathinone, cathinone being a PEA.

Its in the superset.

Cathinone/methcathinone does not have a methyl group on the 4 position. Cathinone and methcathinone are the beta keytone analogs of amphetamine and methamphetamine respectively, and both are powerful yet sub-standard stimulants.

Mephedrone is 4-methyl-methcathinone.

Methylone is an entactogen and stimulant of the phenethylamine, amphetamine and cathinone drug classes. Whereas MDPV is considered a substituted cathinone, pharmacologically, chemically and professionally. So the answer to your question is is no, they are not both in the cathinone class, in the literal sense. However, MDPV is almost a kind of pseudo-cathinone like drug, dealy type deal...ish. So you're right and wrong, but likely you're more one than the other...right. Synthetic drugs like methadone are still considered opiates because of the fact they play on the opiod receptors and their structured to imitate the base morphine, so on and so forth. And so it could be argued the same for these two compounds.

I'm gonna close this since it's not related to psychedelics and it's 4 years old. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather I re-open it and move it to OD.

Status
Not open for further replies.