• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Is it true that the US government has cracked down to phase out opiates?

FunctionlJnkieGal

Bluelighter
My fentanyl patch hook-up and my best morphine connection just got their scripts cut off. They were telling me its been on the news and everything but I can't find any solid info about it. I hope its not true. All its gonna do is create a demand for heroin if they deny people their meds (at this point H is rare where I live). I heard that diacetylmorphine is now available for prescription in Canada. Wish we'd follow their lead.

They would be in contradiction of the World Health Organisation's advice as I'm sure that morphine and - possibly codeine as well - are on the WHO's list of essential medicines. They may be curtailments in general prescribing but I cannot see them taking either of these (or possibly other OPI cat. drugs as well) off the market altogether.

As you said, unfortunately there is enough heroin to fill any need in the bm for these sorts of drugs, so any mass crossover to such will just be yet another swing in the roundabouts of consistently contradictory US and global drug policy.

(at this point H is rare where I live).

If your anxieties are correct this will change quickly enough....

EDIT: yup, codeine is on the WHO's model for essential meds as well.

Sorry, but this isn't suited for OD
I'm going to move it to Drugs in the Media, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate there

Thanks for the info. Its a relief to know that my drug of choice is more than likely here to stay, despite a couple of hook-ups getting cut-off. I don't have the will-power to endure withdrawal. :(

Depends on what you mean by "cracked down" and "phase out."

Yes, they have cracked down. Supposedly just on mills and bad doctors but legitimate patients have been hurt as well, often by doctors who are scared and become extra cautious.

No, they are not going to phase out opioids. Opiates are an essential medication as someone mentioned above. They are trying to restrict them to more severe pain--like it was before the 1990s--but you can't put the cat back in the hat.. (or however that saying goes)

I don't think they could phase opiates out even if they wanted too. However the "opiate epidemic" is making it hard to get them prescribed unless you have an obvious need. Phantom back pain wont cut it anymore.

There will always be drs willing to risk it to make money, but now, at least in my state they have a pharmacy database and it doesn't matter if you use insurance or not they know if you have e filled a controlled medicine. some pharmacies will only fill oxy rxs if you have insurance, they won't do it out of pocket.

It does suck though bc ppl that actually need the meds have a way harder time getting them. Its going to drive heroin demand sky-high though, that's a fact. I can speak for myself and like tons of other people, first got hooked on the original oxycontins. Once they became crazy expensive and didn't do the job for what I was spending I started doing dope and a 20 vial was like doing 2 80s.

And the cartels know if the us reduces opiate script numbers there will be a higher demand for dope. It's always been available here and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.