• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Is it STILL ridiculous to argue that Kobe . . .

yeah, but i beat lovelife and his sister in the driveway league. that's gotta count for something. btw glowbug, if i was going to pass the ball to (out of anyone i've seen live) someone that needed to hit a clutch shot, i'd pass it to horry. i must have seen him win 10 games that MATTERED with a 3.

:)

Whatever, I still say Kobe is the greatest player in the game today and Jack Haley agrees. He might not make his sorry roster better, but who cares? You can't argue with that.

i beat jack haley's sister in the driveway league too, he's just bitter.

michael said:

except, unfortunately for you, that was in the driveway league.

not the NBA, where things actually count.

Michael, you do realize you were responding to MY POINT by making the same point.

Right?

Michael, you may very well be talented in many areas, but that said, zero of them include "being clever and/or funny;" kindly leave these things to the experts (no - NOT just me - there are plenty of clever and funny people on this site, but, alas, in my not-particularly-humble opinion, you simply aren't one of them).

well shit, that must mean he was the best ever.

jordan has how many (answer: 6)?

how many do say...dennis rodman or scottie pippen have?

do you consider them to be multiply times chamberlain?

in the NBA, that is - not your driveway league where you beat a girl.

This time, I'll leave your "hilarious" "jokes" aside and address the issue:

Players don't win titles; TEAMS do . . .

I shall concede that the breadth of the Pippen/Jordan years together makes it difficult to test for who WOULD have done better: MJ plus absolute garbage or Kobe plus absolute garbage.

I further concede that Odom is severely underrated; that said, I feel that as good as Odom is; he's nowhere in Pippen's (imo, Top Fifteen or so all-around players of our era <players whose primes occurred somewhere in the 1980-2006 range> league, and as such, Jordan/Pippen getting SWEPT by the Pistons in Round Three, to ME, is quite similar to Kobe/Ododm and FAR WORSE "complementary" players three through twelve (in their FIRST/SECOND year playing TOGETHER) taking the Suns (albeit without Amare - imo, WITH Amare, the Suns win 67-69 games and conceivably threepeat - why in the the world do people behave as though the Pistons are so GREAT? - yes, perhaps, they're "the best" team in the NBA right this second . . . but imo, only because SOMEBODY has to be "the best" . . . by default - again, imo, the MJ/Pippen Bulls *or* the Bird/McHale Celtics *or* the Magic/et al Lakers *or* the Shaq/Kobe (I'll defer on the order of the Talented Humungous Donut Eater/Rapper/Likeable Superhero and The Clutchest Player I've Ever Seen this ONE time) Lakers would EACH have BLOWN the '06 Pistons doors off . . . and YES, I do remember what happened in '04 and I chalk it up to a number of reasons that are fit for a whole other "column" . . . but which can be summarized in but one word: "anomaly.") to seven glorious (for the most part) games.

Bottom line, again, in my opinion, is this:

(1) Only time will tell who will EVENTUALLY go down as the greater of the two MJ or Kobe;

(2) That said - I (and you) have WATCHED both of them with our own eyes, and again, in my opinion, Kobe of ages 18 to 27 has the gretaer all-around skill set (INCLUDING the all-important things that CAN'T be shown merelyby looking at the numbers - "making your teammates better," "clutchness" "desire" "dealing with adversity" et al) than MJ had during HIS formative years.

The thing that MOST impresses me about Jordan is NOT that he was "better" than Kobe from ages 18 through 27 (because, obviously, I am of the opinion, that he was NOT), but rather, that Jordan's PRIME seemed to last well into his mid 30's.

Whether or not Kobe maintains a similar drive to be the Greatest Of All Time for that long, that he remains relatively injury-free, that he does what I personally highly suspect he will do (contribute to winning several more titles - again, let's remember that TEAMS, NOT players "win" titles - Jordan plus No Pippen equalled first round exit, while Bill Russell, when supported with an all-star cast (Cousy, Havlicek, the best coach of all time and a whole lot more suporting players in a watered-down league with barely more than half as many teams as today's NBA) "won" eleven (and if someone wants to argue that Russell was "better" than either MJ or Kobe, I'll be the first one to suggest that he be sent to a rubber room) remains to be seen.

So in summary, my take is this:

If Kobe (perhaps deservedly) gets shot in the face be his rightfully-jealous wife tomorrow, then OF COURSE MJ goes down as having had the greater overall CAREER . . .

. . . that said . . . my original comment, and the one that I stand by is this:

In a vacuum, Kobe from age 18 to 27 is slightly better than MJ from 18 to 27 . . .

. . . the big question to ME, is whether or not Kobe pulls an MJ and continues to grow and become even greater in the years to come.

Time shall tell.

having seen you get schooled by poste...

I got schooled by poste?!!!

Now THAT'S what I call funny.

If "You get to be the slave" (I'll leave the search engine usage to you) doesn't rank among the funniest all-time Bluelight burns, then perhaps you ARE as clever and funny as I am.

Peace,

LL

L O V E L I F E said:
Michael, you do realize you were responding to MY POINT by making the same point.

you do realize my point was that stats do matter?

it's fine by me if you don't think i'm funny, becuase i don't care if you do or not, especially since i wasn'tr trying to be funny in this post. furthermore, i feel your judgement on what is or isn't funny is suspect at best. then again, it's all opinion and we know what the old sa about that is...

(2) That said - I (and you) have WATCHED both of them with our own eyes, and again, in my opinion, Kobe of ages 18 to 27 has the gretaer all-around skill set (INCLUDING the all-important things that CAN'T be shown merelyby looking at the numbers - "making your teammates better," "clutchness" "desire" "dealing with adversity" et al) than MJ had during HIS formative years.

how many teams did jordan dismantle in his formative years due to his giant ego?

I got schooled by poste?!!!

let the people in the audience who lost a bet to poste and had to post a bluelight thread stating that poste was smarter than them raise their hands...

i guess you don't think that's clever or funny either, though.

you might even remember that my favorite player hasn't been mentioned in this thread (and probably won't be, stats aside); he's my favorite because of how much fun i had seeing him. you want to say you have more fun watching kobe, fine, but he wasn't the most dominant player of the 90's and won't be in this decade until he steps up.

Last edited:
glowbug said:

But I didn't win or lose anything. I'm just a spectator and last time I checked, schadenfreude is expressly permitted in the realm of spectator sports.

Sure, I enjoyed seeing the Lakers get waxed, but not because of this smack exchange. If you recall, I hinted that perhaps you ought consider posting your response prior to Saturday night's game so as to avoid the appearance of "sour grapes/gloating" recriminations on either side. I also believe I heard myself being "sour grapes" admonished for questioning several no-calls earlier in the series in light of your thinly veiled "Kobe chest thumping" ribbings, as well as a smug "really?!?" reply in response to my comment that I still thought the down 2-1 Suns would win the series. Cake is really awesome when you get to both admire and eat it too, no?

Besides, I don't think calling a 31-point loss a "waxing" is exaggerating the case for effect. I'd call my Dukies' humbling 30-pt. '90 loss at the hands of UNLV the same thing. And given that other objective commentators noted Kobe's perplexing 2nd half no-show, I don't think highlighting that was out of bounds either.

Take a look at the pic of Kobe I posted. Hell, you saw it live just as I did, and I'm guessing you may have been as struck by the sheer absurdity of the gesture at the time as I was. There his team was fighting for its life (well not really, but technically they were...Odom was at least) and he was gesturing to the crowd. It was just ludicrous. Were the Suns fans in Kobe's head, or were they not? The very fact that he acknowledged them in the midst of getting his ass handed to him provides the undeniable answer to that. Kobe got rattled, he let his mind wander at the very moment when the last shreds of hope were slipping away. INEXCUSABLE. MJ never did that when it mattered.

MJ hit SEVERAL shots that MATTERED. Game 5, Cleveland, 1989. Game 6, NBA Finals, 1998. At least 25 game-winning shots during the course of his career. Kobe's Game 4 performance was rendered moot BY HIS OWN CHECKOUT Saturday night. So far, it seems Kobe's "clutch shots" have mostly been confined to "moral victory" situations. Wow, if not for Kobe the Lakers would have been swept 4-0 in '04. Give the man a medal. Actually, given Saturday night's sulking when his team most needed him, Deion-like crowd gesture and dirty play, a lollipop might be more appropriate.

From the totality of evidence accumulated thus far in his career, it appears that Kobe doesn't make his teammates better. Sure, the current Lakers rise or fall in some situations because of his tremendous talent, but he doesn't elevate his teammates' level of play. MJ did. Steve Nash does. Maybe that's why MJ was awarded 5 NBA MVPs during his career (1 in a season prior to championship success, during which he swept EVERY major regular-season award with the exception of ROTY), Steve Nash now has 2 consecutive MVP awards, and Kobe has none.

If anything, the totality of the evidence strongly suggests that Kobe is a divider, not a uniter. Lucky for him his talent is so abundant...otherwise he might easily be in danger of being classified in the "cancer" category awaiting a Rasheed-type "reformation". You need a boot-camp style coach for that though, not a Zenmaster.

Case in point, Saturday night. Hmm, one wonders if the "me, me, me" attitude displayed by Kobe the last few years has now irreversibly permeated current Laker team culture, rendering his teammates inescapably beholden to the adrenaline rushes of a "do I have the opportunity to shine, hmm, let me weigh the odds, fuck it, I ought just as well tank it" mood swing-prone Kobe. One need only recall the semi-"battle of the minds" still smoldering under the surface with Zenmaster about ball distribution just earlier this season to realize that scenario is not entirely farfetched.

If so, congratulations Kobe, that's the "your team" you wanted, that's the team you got. Food for thought.

Sure, MJ never got to the finals without Pippen, but he got out of the first round with a rookie Pippen coming off the bench and Brad Sellers, Charles Oakley and Dave Corzine as his support. Dave Corzine and a 3rd-year Charles Oakley, ferchrissake. Not to mention the Bulls' win total improved 11 games in MJ's rookie season after having been out of the playoffs for 3 years with win totals in the high 20's employing essentially the same roster.

Kobe (and his supporting "CBA scrubs", as you invariably call them) couldn't do that in his 9th season to beat out the Grizzlies for a Western Conference 8 seed, nor could they muster even close to a winning season. Wow, you mean Bonzi, Gasol and Mike Miller as 6th man were appreciably better (+11 wins) than Kobe, Lamar, and Caron Butler?

Oh right, there was the rape charge wrapup. And the injuries to Odom and Kobe. And Rudy T's health-related resignation. Funny, the criminal charges were dismissed prior to the start of the season. And the Lakers' record without Bryant was 6-8, only slightly below .500. And the Lakers' late-season slide actually began after Kobe's return and before Odom's season-ending injury. And with Kobe and the healthy '04-05 starting lineup, the Lakers were roughly a .500 team at best, still not good enough to catch those impressive Grizzlies. Given that they were only 1 game below .500 for the month without Kobe but HORRIBLE without Odom despite vastly improved play from Butler, one wonders which of the two injuries was actually more damaging to the '04-'05 Lakers. Again, just more anecdotal support for the argument that Kobe doesn't make his teammates better.

Btw, let me know when a championship-caliber team implements "the Bryant Rules" to stop Kobe. From the looks of Saturday night, the Suns implemented single-coverage Bryant rules (with the exception of sliding over screens), and that worked pretty damn well.

Or check out this site, which concluded based on its analysis that Kobe didn't even rate in the top 20 current "clutch" players as of March 2005. Interestingly, Nash was in the top 5, as was Manu Ginobli. I quote:

"This will not sway Kobe Bryant fans any, who are still reveling in his incredible recent performance in the 4th quarter against Charlotte. That however is the problem in a nutshell -- people remember the game where he's brilliant, and forget the games (yes, plural) where he falls short. Let's state it one more time, Kobe is a good clutch player, but not currently the best."

http://www.82games.com/clutchplay3.htm

Or this:

"In February of 2006, USA Today conducted an analysis which took into account NBA players' scoring, rebounding, assist and turnover statistics within the final two minutes and in overtime periods of the games of the 2005-2006 NBA season prior to the All-Star break. Kobe Bryant's name was noticeably absent from the league's individual leaders in every category, as were the Lakers in every team category. Moreover, from the 2003-2004 season through March 16, 2006, Bryant has hit a lower percentage of his "game-winning" shot attempts (defined as a shot taken when one's team is tied or trailing by one or two points, and with 24 seconds or less left in the game) than the overall league average, and a substantially lower percentage of such shots than many other players, such as Allen Iverson, Michael Redd, Carmelo Anthony, and Jalen Rose, who are not nearly as widely lauded for late-game heroics as is Bryant."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Bryant

You're right, statistics don't tell the whole story. And when you've got hype and notions preconceived at least partially out of (anti-MJ Knickphile) bias to which to cling, they're neither necessary nor desirable to tell ANY part of the story.

Agreeing to disagree is fine with me. You stick with the conjecture, I'll stick with what the numbers and non-conjecture show.

Kobe played his absolute ass off for the enitre season, including play-offs (and including off-season - Shaq - I'm looking at YOU) until but NOT including the second half of Saturday night's debacle.

Do I feel that Kobe's decision was immature?

Sure.

Short sighted?

Of course.

At the risk of appearing to be incredibly full of myself, I wouldn't choose to be friends with EITHER MJ or Kobe (while I'd probably LOVE to be friends with Shaq) - each of them possesses qualities I DETEST (and, yes, I do realize the seeming-irony of it all, Dr. Jung - until I began maturing several years ago, yours truly possessed - and admittedly, to a degree, still possesses - those contemptable qualities.

Would MJ have pulled that shit?

Probably not.

Would Kobe have cheated in a card game involving ZERO MONEY against a friend's mother?

Who knows?

In my opinion, all of this garbage is beside the point.

In my opinion, neither MJ nor Kobe is a "great" or even "very good" person.

We're not arguing about ethics; we're arguing about who's a better player.

And Saturday's night's distgusting display notwithstanding, I remain of the opinion (for reasons stated already and for others I may or may not choose to add later) that Kobe Bryant, the basketball player has been SLIGHTLY better from ages 18 through 27 than was Michael Jordan, the basketball player.

And I readily admit that Lebron James is well on his way towards leaving them both in the dust.

My main point all along has been this:

Those people (and there are MANY of them) who claim to know their shit when it comes to life and when it comes to sports loudly proclaimed throughout the 1990's:

"We will never in our lifetimes see another basketball player like Michael Jordan" . . .

. . . and I quickly and consistently retorted (and you PERSONALLY heard me say it MANY TIMES LAST MILLENNIUM):

"My ass!

As in every other aspect of life, human beings EVOLVE.

In fact, it is my strong opinion that KOBE BRYANT IN PARTICULAR will meet and perhaps even EXCEED the great basketball prowess that Michael Jordan showed us all."

That has been my overall point for the past decade and that remains my overall point now.

Kobe Bryant, in my opinion, is an immature, selfish crybaby.

Who happens to be the best basketball player I have ever seen.

psychoanalysis said:

Is he better than Jordan?

If this alter-ego's point is to add levity, touché.

If not, then the final sentence of my last post answers your question.

In.

My.

Opinion.

One final (for now) note and then I'm off to keep commitments to people other than myself:

Glowbug,

For all of your grace and loveability in person and on subjects other than sports, your anti-Kobe anti-Carolina anti-whomever you choose to hate in sports persona rubs me the wrong way in EXACTLY the same manner Jim Rome's does.

It's not that your words are dispicable or that your arguments lack merit.

It's simply a matter of your TONE.

In my opinion, in life, and on just about every subject not involving sports, you're an empathetic sweetheart.

But, with respect, my dear friend, when it comes to writing about sports, in my opinion, you sometimes come across (to borrow from Anglina Jolie's first great acting ever - no - I'm NOT kidding) as a big fat ANGERBALL. :)

OK, first of all MJ-Kobe comparisons are really just exercises in speculative masturbation because each one if great in his own way and there's no objective way to say which one is "greater."

MJ has the upper hand for a couple reasons. The trajectory of his career was basically tremendous and spectacular individual success to start, proving that he was just an awesome and unparalleled talent. Then when he teamed up with Phil he locked down those 6 rings. So individual success segued very nicely into championship success. Not only that, but the NBA was arguably less competitive then with regards to swingmen. I mean he didn't have a Lebron James or Tracy McGrady to compete with. He was unquestionably the best player in the League, and the NBA had never seen anyone like him at that time. A good counter-argument is that Jordan's NBA was far more physical; the way to stop Jordan was with hard fouls, whereas today a hard foul is likely to be a suspension so defenses back off. So when Jordan went for 40 or 50 it's arguably a bigger accomplishment than getting 40 in today's NBA.

As for the playoffs this season, even you glowbug have to admit that the 7th seeded Lakers, who many people didn't even think would MAKE the playoffs, taking the Suns to a game 7 is quite an accomplishment. Comparable to MJ's championships? No, and for a variety of reasons, but forget about that for now. You cannot deny that Kobe was awesome in the first 6 games. They were 6 seconds and a desperation 3 away from closing out the Suns in Game 6. A team with Smush Parker, Kwame Brown and Luke Walton in the starting lineup. Luck of the draw and Lamar not fouling Marion when he should have, but hindsight is 20/20. Kerr, Paxson, Horace Grant, Pippen, Rodman; there's no way the 2005-06 Laker roster compares. If you know anything about Mitch Kupchak, you know he's a terrible GM. Kobe carried this team all season and for 6 games in the playoffs, a team which was low on playoff experience, NBA experience and talent.

Game 7, Kobe should have dropped 65 like I wanted him to but the fact is it wouldn't have changed the outcome. After Game 6 it was over, barring a miracle. The Lakers as a team completely wilted and if anything, it showed what an accomplishment even getting up 3-1 on the Suns was. You saw just how bad Kwame Brown really is. Lamar Odom let the Suns get under his skin and played horribly. Smush went something like 5-63 in the last three games. And most importantly, if Kobe had hung 65 points on them it wouldn't have mattered because the LAKERS STOPPED PLAYING DEFENSE.

It was painful to watch Nash kill them running pick and rolls on the weak side through Boris Diaw. Kwame and Smush switched every single time, leaving either Nash to have his way with Kwame or Diaw to post up Smush. No help. The rotation was slow if it came at all. Fight through those fucking screens! How could they not figure it out? And letting Barbossa get to the rim like that for lay-up after lay-up is inexcusable. I am surprised Phil didn't have Kobe lock down Nash and fight through those screens. It seems actually rather ridiculous that that's not what happened, because Kobe is an absolute lock down defender on the perimeter.

Furthermore, comparing statistics is misleading because Jordan was the number one gunner on his team from the beginning. For 8 years Kobe was the second option on his team, even though he's arguably better than Shaq (comparing a big man with a swingman is inherently problematic however). And, in a total inversion of MJ's career, Kobe had fantastic success fairly early in his career, and now I guess his real legacy will be defined by what he does with the second half of his career. I think he will win more rings. I really do. He's just too good, and too driven. I agree he hurt his image bad in that Game 7, but he is unquestionably the best player in the League and will be for another 2-3 years.

Having said all that, Lebron will probably be better than Kobe if he stops biting his nails. If Lebron averages 45-15-15 in five years, I would not be surprised.

WacoWas AnAccident said:

Furthermore, comparing statistics is misleading because Jordan was the number one gunner on his team from the beginning.

For 8 years Kobe was the second option on his team, even though he's arguably better than Shaq

Thank you, Waco, for saving me from having to make YET ANOTHER long-winded post by succinctly making my next point for me.

Oh, what the hell - I'll make another long-winded post anyway:

Glowbug, one season, Dale Ellis scored nearly 30 points per game when he was his team's first option.

Was HE a better offensive player than Kobe?!

Having Shaq on his team helped Kobe win those three titles, of course, but without Shaq, Kobe would be well on his way to breaking every NBA career statistical record possible.

Had Kobe/Phil not taken Kobe out of the game AFTER THE THIRD FUCKING QUARTER against ARGUABLY THE BEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE, the motherfucker would likely have had TWO EIGHTY POINT GAMES WITHIN THE SPAN OF A MONTH.

Jordan never came close to doing that.

In a higher scoring league.

WITHOUT zone defenses.

WITHOUT an array of excellent European players.

While he was, for nearly TWO DECADES, CLEARLY his team's number one offensive option on EVERY SINGLE POSSESSION.

Chamberlain never put up 80-80 within a month-plus even though he played his entire career against my short white sister and her friends.

How many seasons does Shaq have to be complemented by superstars (Pre-injury-Penny; All-World Dwayne Wade) without coming CLOSE to winning a title (um . . . except the three that Kobe helped him win despite Shaq shooting free throws worse than my short white sister does, which led to every single 2000-2002 Laker playoff fourth quarter turning into a fucking circus side show) before people FINALLY wake up and realize who the real superstar was on that team.

Kobe might very well be a conceited self-absorbed prick.

But that doesn't negate the fact that he HAS ALWAYS BEEN a better all-around player than Shaq, and that doesn't take away the FACT that Kobe is a FAR better three point shooter than MJ, and that KOBE IS PLAYING IN A LEAGUE WITH EXCELLENT EUROPEAN PLAYERS AND LEGAL ZONE DEFENSES, neither of which MJ had to deal with.

Have I proven beyond any doubt that Kobe is better than Jordan?

No.

But it's certainly debatable - and your comparisons of MJ's stats as a top dawg whom Pippen rightfully defered to versus Kobe's stats as a second option who SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ASKED TO DEFER TO SHAQ IN THE FIRST PLACE certainly don't make for a very high-level debate.

L O V E L I F E said:
Like "focus" or "poise"? Kobe sure showed ALOT of that Saturday night with his 2nd half disappearing act and fan-defying sideshow while his team's last hopes withered and died, no thanks to Lamar Odom of course, who apparently had also already realized Kobe's tank act himself when he attempted to drive the lane 1-on-1 from the top of the key on 3 consecutive possessions in a desperate last-ditch effort to at least contain the slaughter.

Actually, that pretty well encapsulates Kobe's intangibles of "heart" and "dealing with adversity" as well. I should qualify that though by saying that Kobe is ACES at dealing with self-created adversity, if only from the plethora of opportunities...or perhaps "queens" is the better description since Kobe is without question one of the top 5 drama queens in the league, perhaps bested only by AI and Rasheed.

It's easy to be a holy man on top of the mountain. How wonderful for the Kobe myth that he sank 2 clutch shots up 2-1 in the series while basking in the soothing adulation of his home crowd. How wonderful for the Kobe myth that he won 3 titles in the enveloping shadow of Shaq's dominant lane presence.

However, the thing that most reveals one's true character is how one handles the gutter. Kobe displayed (imo) his true colors Saturday night when he had the opportunity to do everything he possibly could to avoid the gutter of 1st round defeat, facing a double-digit halftime deficit and a hostile crowd at the moment of absolute truth, and he flat-out disappeared. He washed his hands of the whole affair, deserted his team and left the dirty, thankless, unheralded work of desperately trying to salvage anything to a respectable albeit clearly lesser-talented teammate who, although he had a poor game himself, at least showed the intestinal fortitude to go down fighting.

You tell me how big his "basketball heart" was, how great his "desire" was at that moment. You tell me how beholden Kobe was to anything except the altar of Kobe at that moment.

Cuz then, at that moment, it AIN'T being compared to MJ's accomplishments. It ain't got nothin' to do with MJ at that moment. It's only you and what you want, and whether you're willing to go down swinging, trying to hold on to any vestige of grasping it even for an instant...then, at that very moment, it is PRECISELY "in the vacuum".

And you know the answer as well as I do. He chucked and ran, and mailed it in from somewhere else.

Face it, Kobe tuned up his fiddle while Rome was still a 2-alarm fire conceivably capable of containment.

And then, predictably, Rome burned out of control. :\

Whether that critical character flaw will be corrected remains to be seen.

L O V E L I F E said:
One final (for now) note and then I'm off to keep commitments to people other than myself:

Glowbug,

For all of your grace and loveability in person and on subjects other than sports, your anti-Kobe anti-Carolina anti-whomever you choose to hate in sports persona rubs me the wrong way in EXACTLY the same manner Jim Rome's does.

In my opinion, in life, and on just about every subject not involving sports, you're an empathetic sweetheart.

But, with respect, my dear friend, when it comes to writing about sports, in my opinion, you sometimes come across (to borrow from Anglina Jolie's first great acting ever - no - I'm NOT kidding) as a big fat ANGERBALL. :)
Sorry LL, but when I'm writing to advocate a point, I don't take prisoners and I don't let off the gas. In my writing I always go for the kill...otherwise I'm not stepping on the court.

To that end I'll use virtually every trick and nuance in the book, including that of psychological one-upmanship perhaps misperceived by some as anger...e.g., after posting it I noted a slight factual error in my original thesis (not a statistical computation error, mind you, and the flaw is minor, but it's there nonetheless) and debated calling foul upon myself. Had this been an earnest issue-based debate and not just a sports smack debate, I would have chosen to call foul on myself...but since this is only a sports smack debate I decided to let it slide and see if it would slip past with a no-call on the momentum of my overall arguments. Then I glossed it with a bit of "smoke and mirrors" the day after the Lakers' loss...what you misperceived as gloating was more geared toward coupling the shock of the blowout with a head fake. ;)

There's one notable exception though. I don't utilize personal attacks or slights, a few rare slipups notwithstanding. I (try to) hit hard with the written word, and aiming to give harder than I get-without mercy-is just part and parcel of that, but I try to play fair and ensure that I've backed up all my smack. That's why I left the minor factual error there rather than editing it...fair play is fair play, and it's still there.

It's nothing personal you understand and I appreciate the intent of the feedback, but my game is my game...it's about the best game I got goin', and I ain't gonna soften it. I'd describe it as "impassioned" myself, but if it's perceived as "angry", so be it, my style is my style. I bring the Ginobli-style debate game I got, not the MJ-style facade I wish I had. :)

In the realm of sports debate, perhaps it's partly a sublimated projection of my frustrated desire irl to have been a better actual on-court competitor, and partly a projection of how, as one who appreciates the team artistry in the game, I wish to see the game played...as a true team effort without the ego incursions. Like Phoenix does. Like the Spurs do. Like the Pistons do, Rasheed notwithstanding. Those guys walk the walk, they don't just talk the talk.

That's perhaps the greatest source of my enmity for Kobe, that from Day 1 (e.g., his refusing to play for Charlotte, his waving off Malone's All-Star pick, his feuding with Shaq, ad nauseam) his approach has been the exact antithesis of how I cherish seeing the game approached. Much as I despise Carolina, I give credit to Dean for instilling the team concept in MJ so that to a large degree, having tasted success through the team approach, MJ was not burdened by the glaring ego issues that Kobe seems to be.

As long as the door has been opened for well-intentioned constructive criticism, I'd have to say I find personal comments such as yours directed at Michael in poor taste. Not only does it smack of arrogance, but imo there's just no call for belittling someone personally in a mere debate, regardless of what you may think of him or her privately...and certainly not in a sports smack setting. The few times I've engaged in it, I've wished afterwards that I had sidestepped it entirely. :)

That said, I think I've just about blown my wad on the Kobe debate, at least until he does something spectacular and fucks up spectacularly again next year, at which time I'm sure the debate will be revisited. He'll do both, of that I'm fairly certain.

WacoWas AnAccident said:
OK, first of all MJ-Kobe comparisons are really just exercises in speculative masturbation because each one if great in his own way and there's no objective way to say which one is "greater."

MJ has the upper hand for a couple reasons. The trajectory of his career was basically tremendous and spectacular individual success to start, proving that he was just an awesome and unparalleled talent. Then when he teamed up with Phil he locked down those 6 rings. So individual success segued very nicely into championship success. Not only that, but the NBA was arguably less competitive then with regards to swingmen. I mean he didn't have a Lebron James or Tracy McGrady to compete with. He was unquestionably the best player in the League, and the NBA had never seen anyone like him at that time. A good counter-argument is that Jordan's NBA was far more physical; the way to stop Jordan was with hard fouls, whereas today a hard foul is likely to be a suspension so defenses back off. So when Jordan went for 40 or 50 it's arguably a bigger accomplishment than getting 40 in today's NBA.

As for the playoffs this season, even you glowbug have to admit that the 7th seeded Lakers, who many people didn't even think would MAKE the playoffs, taking the Suns to a game 7 is quite an accomplishment. Comparable to MJ's championships? No, and for a variety of reasons, but forget about that for now. You cannot deny that Kobe was awesome in the first 6 games. They were 6 seconds and a desperation 3 away from closing out the Suns in Game 6. A team with Smush Parker, Kwame Brown and Luke Walton in the starting lineup. Luck of the draw and Lamar not fouling Marion when he should have, but hindsight is 20/20. Kerr, Paxson, Horace Grant, Pippen, Rodman; there's no way the 2005-06 Laker roster compares. If you know anything about Mitch Kupchak, you know he's a terrible GM. Kobe carried this team all season and for 6 games in the playoffs, a team which was low on playoff experience, NBA experience and talent.

Game 7, Kobe should have dropped 65 like I wanted him to but the fact is it wouldn't have changed the outcome. After Game 6 it was over, barring a miracle. The Lakers as a team completely wilted and if anything, it showed what an accomplishment even getting up 3-1 on the Suns was. You saw just how bad Kwame Brown really is. Lamar Odom let the Suns get under his skin and played horribly. Smush went something like 5-63 in the last three games. And most importantly, if Kobe had hung 65 points on them it wouldn't have mattered because the LAKERS STOPPED PLAYING DEFENSE.

It was painful to watch Nash kill them running pick and rolls on the weak side through Boris Diaw. Kwame and Smush switched every single time, leaving either Nash to have his way with Kwame or Diaw to post up Smush. No help. The rotation was slow if it came at all. Fight through those fucking screens! How could they not figure it out? And letting Barbossa get to the rim like that for lay-up after lay-up is inexcusable. I am surprised Phil didn't have Kobe lock down Nash and fight through those screens. It seems actually rather ridiculous that that's not what happened, because Kobe is an absolute lock down defender on the perimeter.

Furthermore, comparing statistics is misleading because Jordan was the number one gunner on his team from the beginning. For 8 years Kobe was the second option on his team, even though he's arguably better than Shaq (comparing a big man with a swingman is inherently problematic however). And, in a total inversion of MJ's career, Kobe had fantastic success fairly early in his career, and now I guess his real legacy will be defined by what he does with the second half of his career. I think he will win more rings. I really do. He's just too good, and too driven. I agree he hurt his image bad in that Game 7, but he is unquestionably the best player in the League and will be for another 2-3 years.

Having said all that, Lebron will probably be better than Kobe if he stops biting his nails. If Lebron averages 45-15-15 in five years, I would not be surprised.
Well-grounded in light of the fact that it's coming from a hardcore Kobe fellata. ;)

Though I'd disagree with the ring outlook, in part because of the Lakers' salary cap issue that hampers them through '07 and virtually ensures another rebuilding/meshing process in the next several years (in turn eating up 3 or more precious years of Kobe's prime...imo it's folly to have to expect that Kobe run off 3 consecutive rings again in order to get there), I'm largely in agreement with many of your points. :)

One more thing to tack onto this thread. Kobe could have really helped himself if he'd nailed that jumper at the end of Game 6. He had about 3 seconds or maybe a little more and it was a clanker. Should he have passed? I dunno. But I'm sure a lot of Kobe haters would be quick to say "Jordan would have hit that shot" which is of course a completely empty argument because I'm reasonably certain I'm the only one on bluelight who knows how to divine mystical insights out of tea leaves.

And just another quick note, I sold Luke Walton short in my post. He is actually very, very smart with an incredibly high basketball IQ (no surprise there really), an excellent passer, and he's developed his turn around jump shot in the lane to the point where he has to be taken seriously on offense. But still, Kwame Brown? Sasha Vujacichax? Smush? Salary cap busters like Deaven George? It’s almost comical really.

I also realized in mulling this NBA season over that you can make the argument, and convincingly, that the Suns roster is incredibly weak, nearly as weak as the Lakers. It does not seem at all like a 50-win team without Amare or Thomas on the block and the fact that Nash got so much production out of those guys makes him MVP caliber no question. Obviously my bias blinds me to anyone but Kobe as MVP, and I do think he was robbed this year, but you have to say that the Suns squad, while not overflowing with talent, had a lot more experience under their belt, including playoff experience. Raja Bell has played in more Game 7s than Kobe or Nash. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

And one final note, because I completely forgot about him. If Andrew Bynum develops into the player he can be (and he has shown some serious promise), things will be looking up. Don't discount the fact that Kareem is personally tutoring the Laker frontcourt so Bynum is learning from one of the best. I give the team 2 years to return to elite status as a serious contender. Hopefully Buss resigns Phil in 2 years and Kobe doesn’t totally implode.

Ran across this article from another Kobe detractor...

On the Pleasure of Hating Kobe Bryant
And the sadness of watching him exit the playoffs.

When the Phoenix Suns embarrassed Kobe Bryant's Lakers this weekend in what should have been a classic Game 7, it marked the beginning of a kind of spiritual vacation for me. I detest Kobe with such bilious overpowering fervor that, when he's playing well, I have trouble doing much else with my life: an incapacitating dark sludge floods my soul. Over the last few weeks—as Kobe threw dirty elbows, made smug post-game comments, and beat the lovable Suns on a couple of irritatingly great last-second shots—my Kobe-hatred swelled to alarmingly high levels. With the Suns' victory, however, I felt the black tide begin to recede. Its absence still feels strange.

I don't hate Kobe for petty reasons: for his talent, for instance, which is beyond dispute and often gorgeous to watch, or because he sold out Shaq, or because he's an adulterer, or because his face looks like a weasel. I can forgive all of that. I don't even hate him because the referees surround him with a sacred halo of gentle touching (he was once so coddled in a playoff game that Ralph Nader had to start agitpropping about it), or because he's skewed the self-perceptions of pickup ball-hogs across the nation, or even because he makes close to my yearly salary every time he scores a basket. This is all irritating but peripheral. The true source of my rage is much, much deeper: I hate Kobe Bryant's rotten and derivative soul.

Since Michael Jordan's final title in 1998, NBA superstars have suffered mightily from what Harold Bloom termed "anxiety of influence." The Jordan myth—a morality play about how dedication, respect for the game, and loving your parents makes you the undisputed greatest person in the world—has stifled an entire generation of great players. But, as Jordan's most talented immediate successor, Kobe has been uniquely warped. He's plagiarized MJ's game so expertly that, in many ways, he's ahead of the master's curve—Kobe is stronger than the 27-year-old Jordan and has a deadlier outside shot. But for all his miraculous skills, Kobe is painfully bad at mythmaking. Since he's a Jordan-like talent, Kobe clearly thinks that he's entitled to the Jordan mythology, but he doesn't have any of Jordan's charisma or imagination. As melodramatic and managed as Jordan's career was, there was some authentic core—it was original and seemed to mean something. Kobe exists entirely within quotation marks.

Jordan was a master of pantomime. He built his empire largely on iconic celebratory gestures: the tongue-wag, the splay-legged fist pump, the impish "Even I marvel at my own divinity" shrug. Kobe's dramatic gestures are all either borrowed or embarrassing. After his game-winner over the Suns in Game 4, Kobe held his fist frozen in front of him exactly like MJ used to. But when he got clotheslined by Raja Bell in the next game, there was no script to work from: You could almost see him trying to remember if Come Fly With Me had any footage of Jordan getting horse-collared by Joe Dumars. Kobe finally improvised with a sassy hand-gesture shuffle. He wiped a pile of imaginary dirt off of his shoulder for a while, then added a schoolmarm finger waggle while making the least convincing tough-guy face I've ever seen. It was like a high-school production of West Side Story.

The Phoenix crowd's Game 7 chant of "Kobe sucks" brought on another round of awkward posturing. Kobe cupped his hand to his ear, Hulk Hogan-style, and held it long enough for TNT's cameras to swivel and zoom; then he nodded sarcastically with his lips pursed for a good 10 seconds. It was supposed to look cocky and defiant but came off as empty petulant theater. When play resumed he launched into an incredible burst of scoring that made me wonder if the greatest talent in the basketball universe is merely an expression of insecurity.

The circumstances surrounding the Phoenix series made Kobe's image-manipulation comically transparent. When word leaked out that Steve Nash had won the MVP again, essentially for being the anti-Kobe, Bryant suddenly transformed his game into a mediocre Nash impression, passing up good shots to get his teammates slightly worse ones. Though the media congratulated him for his selflessness, his real agenda—to prove that he was the snubbed MVP who can do it all—was painfully obvious. Kobe is the only player in the league whose game is most showy when he scores fewer than 30 points.

In the carefully scripted after-school special of Kobe Bryant's career, this playoff series was the part where he "selflessly" "matured" into a "leader." During TV timeouts, he seized his teammates by their faces and shouted intense Jordan-esque lectures directly into their ears, carefully exaggerating his gestures so people in the cheap seats could admire his leadership. In the second half of Game 7, with the Lakers needing a miracle only Kobe could provide, he refused to shoot. Instead, he made a big show of deferring to the role players. To the untrained, this looked like pouting, but you could see him mentally adding another line to his resume: He had taught his teammates not to rely on their superstar in a dire situation.

At some point over the weekend, after Kobe had swished another fadeaway 20-foot turnaround with a defender sitting on his shoulders, my wife wondered aloud whether my hatred might be doing permanent damage to my heart. But I know it's not. Hating an athlete isn't like hating an actual person. It's like hating a character in a novel. My hatred is exceptionally pure and completely contained within the parameters of the game. When Kobe went to the bench with five minutes left and the Suns' lead hovering around 30, I felt an unfamiliar emotion: a twinge of sadness followed by pity. I could feel my Kobe-hatred slipping away, and it made me sad. I will miss it. Everyone left in the playoffs is disturbingly likable. I have nothing to look forward to until next year.

http://www.slate.com/id/2141287/

Nothing more to add from my end, just thought I'd post this for the giggles.

I had a dream about Michael Jordan and aliens last night.

There was no anal probing.

But Charles Oakley made several appearances.

L O V E L I F E said:
Glowbug,

While our opinions of Jim Rome differ, I have to say I know exactly what you mean. ;) The thing is, GB tries to pull off the Rome schtick, except Rome is funny most of the time when he does it. It's a fine line between anger-bitching and comedic sports takes. :D Oh, and please note the timing of mr. Kobe hater himself GB and his entering of this thread when we all know he was around to read it when it first popped up...took him a good few months to come up with that initial post eh? By the way, let it be known he loves Shaq...which should help shed more light on his own perspective regarding this subject as a Big Fellata to the Big Fella. :)

I'm glad I missed this thread during its most heated moments. All I know is, if anyone's giving Kobe shit for not playing the 4th quarter of game 7...they weren't watching the game and his own teammates have even stated they didn't have a problem with it, and are in fact amazed that people would even bring that up as a detriment to Kobe. If Jordan did that people would be lining up to make excuses whereas Kobe is villified by his anti-fans. In case you weren't watching, the game was more or less officially over 5 minutes after halftime.

One rebound away from the upset...that's a shame. Oh well. All in all, a good season for the Lakers as they accomplished Jackson's preseason goal of making the playoffs, and grew up plenty in a 7-game battle against a team that's in the Western Conference Finals.

On current basketball news, I guess we don't have to have that discussion you brought up about the Spurs after last season, eh GB? THANK YOU DALLAS! :)

And for a final note, I'd just like to point out to all the kobe haters that you are a slave to his Nike Commercial...

Love me or hate me, it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved, for the exact same reasons.

Last edited:
Ah, excellent timing Jeff.

I just want to point out that Lebron's 2nd half stats in Game 7 vs. Detroit were virtually identical to Kobe's, except he took a few more (missed) shots and yet nobody pans him. I cry foul!

I don't care who wins now as long as Detroit sinks that overmanned Miami ship. I never want to see Shaq win another title.

LapDawg said:
While our opinions of Jim Rome differ, I have to say I know exactly what you mean. ;) The thing is, GB tries to pull off the Rome schtick, except Rome is funny most of the time when he does it. It's a fine line between anger-bitching and comedic sports takes. :D Oh, and please note the timing of mr. Kobe hater himself GB and his entering of this thread when we all know he was around to read it when it first popped up...took him a good few months to come up with that initial post eh? By the way, let it be known he loves Shaq...which should help shed more light on his own perspective regarding this subject as a Big Fellata to the Big Fella. :)
Welcome back Jefe! I had just wandered into SO again looking for an NBA thread discussing last night's games when I saw you had returned. :) I had hoped you would make a reappearance in this thread before now-your fellow Kobe fellatas sorely needed your stat game after the barrage I laid down on them-but alas, it was not to be.

Your criticism of my smack timing is a bit tepid in light of the fact that I came out firing and poured on the smack barrage with the Suns down 3-2 and needing a road win in Staples, dontcha think? It was almost as good as you waiting until the Spurs had already gone down to pop back into the thread, eh? ;)

Btw, since I was the first in the thread to coin the "hata/fellata" dichotomy, do I not at least get a footnote credit on your Big Fellata reference? :D Personally I thought my Michael(k)obe Ultra burn was a better Rome-anism, but I guess I'll just have to take the imitation as a Rome-an compliment. ;)

I'm glad I missed this thread during its most heated moments. All I know is, if anyone's giving Kobe shit for not playing the 4th quarter of game 7...they weren't watching the game and his own teammates have even stated they didn't have a problem with it, and are in fact amazed that people would even bring that up as a detriment to Kobe.
What else would you expect them to say? They're not going to publicly trash their team leader, no matter how fine a public trashing example Kobe had set for them to follow in the past. :D

Besides, it wasn't his 4th quarter play folks were criticizing, it was his 3rd quarter disappearance when the game was still conceivably salvageable. Seems virtually every former pro commentator had something to say about it. Steve Kerr laid into Kobe for his 3rd quarter disappearance, and Kerr knows a thing or two about playing with a champion, wouldn't you agree?

I guess you didn't catch Kobe's lame on-air defense of his 2nd half disappearance to Sir Charles either. Sure Kobe, you didn't tank it, you stuck with the distribution gameplan despite the Flakers already getting hammered into a 15-pt. halftime deficit utilizing the very same gameplan. Funny though, it didn't stop you from deviating from the gameplan for a 3-minute span in the 2nd quarter to briefly pull your team back within remote striking distance. And I didn't see you calling for the ball when Lamar went 1-on-1 from the top of the key three consecutive times mid-3rd quarter...in fact, I specifically recall you giving the ball up to him on 2 of those 3 instances. :D

I like how Charles, who never eats crow, had to apologize to Kobe afterwards in spite of Kobe's lame live response performance. Gee, you don't think the advertising big boys, seeing their darling primadonna (on whom they had just recently decided to freshly reup their ad campaign dollars after his self-manufactured rape/adultery hiatus) getting blistered on-air, had to bail out Kobe by relaying an "ease off" message to Charles through his earpiece , do ya? :D