• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is It Possible For Someone On Drugs To Not Know They Are?

Can't say I forgot I was on drugs as such, but I did forget what tripping was and why it was happening despite knowing I had ingest ALLAD

It looks like a lot of people have experienced this, I haven't but I guess this is pretty common with traditional psychs, I didn't know that. Now, in the name of harm reduction, I just have to add that if your taking this high of a dose of any substance, have a sitter around to make sure you don't do something insane and get yourself into trouble but I'm sure you all know that

sure, but it usually happens only with very large doses. i've had that on salvia, lsd and dmt. once you're "over there" and cannot remember your life before your trip nor grasp what a "drug" is, there's no way to connect the (then inexistant) dots to conclude that you're on drugs.

This has happened to me many times, exactly like Black describes. If you no longer understand the concept of "self," then the concept of "drug" is long gone.

There's another way that it has happened to me, as well: I became so delusional that I started to believe that my memories were all "implanted" (a la Descartes' evil genius) and that I was actually sober and self-aware for the first time. During a psychotic breakdown, it's easy to forget that you took something a few hours ago.

This is something that has happened to me on 4-AcO-DMT, mushrooms, acid, and DMT.

I've more often found the concept of taking drugs to achieve a level of consciousness (or specifically the level of consciousness at the current time) seeming extremely foreign on psychedelics, but that's not exactly the same as forgetting I'm on something altogether. I remember walking around with a friend, both of us beside ourselves because we couldn't put together what exactly drugs are, much less how something so innocuous can be outlawed altogether...there's obviously more to it than that, but drug laws seemed so arbitrary.

I've forgotten I was on drugs before too, but most memories are probably not important or relevant as the current moment in those cases. Unless I was being reckless or was genuinely worried I may have overdone it, I've never spent a lot of time wondering what was going on, better to just accept and let it happen.

I have forgotten it during nasty thought loops and almost ego-death like situations while on high doses of a psychedelic. Especially with mushrooms, but also a few times on acid too.

forgetting can happen and has, to a certain extent, happened to me too. It was in the beginning when i was more adventurous in my drugtaking, but it happened on a combination of synth noid edibles and aMT, on separate occasions. both times included me ingesting the drug then for one reason or another (usually long comeup, longer than usual) falling asleep and waking up in full on trip mode, and only after comng down realizing and remembering it was a drug.
luckly i handled them siutations more or less fine but it can be distrersfull. even more so when a drug has an apparently paradoxal effect. I ve had drugs lasting waaaay longer than expected and freaking me out a bit due to having to readjust real life plans in the trip state...

I'm not sure if this is the same thing but I've been convinced that a drug had worn off when simple math and obvious effects should have made it obvious this was absurd.

Is it possible for someone *not* on drugs to not know they aren't?

Yes, it's called the placebo effect!

This has only happened to me once, on heavy doses of DXM & 4-AcO-DMT together.

I was out of body for much of it as well, no real concept of self, drugs, or anything but what I was experiencing, though the moments where I was in my body I had some awareness of my self & recognized my room, was able to do things like use the bathroom & drink a little water.

The place I went to for much of the experience felt like somewhere I'd been before even though I hadn't. I remember when I was already quite high on the DXM & coming up on the 4AD thinking things like "oh this again", "this happens every time", "why do I always forget this part?", as well as briefly thinking I'd taken it a step too far and was dying of serotonin syndrome.

This is also the only time I've left my body, even very high smoked/vaped DMT doses which had me feeling like I'd entered the spirit world, and quite insane, otherworldly, mystical visuals, but it all grew out of the pre-existing world, and I was still firmly in my body, though about the most fried I've been on psychedelics.

I've had this happen to me on salvia. I completely forgot that I was in a drug induced state. I was just a consciousness floating through space. Also, when my very mentally grounded friend did salvia he knew he was gone, but asked everyone how he was put into that state, like he forget that moments ago he smoked salvia.

It is definitely possible, when I am very far gone in a k hole I am just existing in a lucid dream state opposed to being consciously aware of my actions and body.

On my first experience with Ketamine (100mg, IM) I couldn’t remember that some drug called Ketamine even existed! :D

Last edited:
I have often gotten the feeling on dissociatives (ketamine and MXE) that it has gone beyond the effects of the drug, that the trip is happening externally and everyone around is experiencing it too, and that those with me on it are having the same trip (which is oddly often the case when talking about it later), and that the drug just initiated the experience but that now it has become something more fundamental in nature than that, but I've never completely forgotten I took the drug, somewhere in my mind.

Well I have one more angle. Benzo withdrawal. Complete psychosis-yet not really psychedelic in the sense this thread goes. I forgot I had been on drugs and then suddenly wasn't.

I've been withdrawing from multiple GABA ergics for 5 days at this point.

Coupled with benzo wd, when I ingested 600 dxm to try and alleviate the withdrawals, I learned this is a HUGE mistake.

I Called 911 yesterday cause I thought I was literally dying, though I've done dxm so many times I should've known that it was ego death- or maybe it wasn't??? People die from benzo withdrawals sometimes so when I added a dissociative I really thought I had poisoned myself on top of an extremely frightening withdrawal.

It can happen on high doses of oral, smoked, or vaporized cannabis, and psychedelic mushrooms, and it does not last long.

It also can happen from taking too many benzos, drinking too much alcohol and blacking out, from combining alcohol and benzos, and from ambien and drugs like it.

This is not unheard of, people can do lots of things they choose to consciously ignore doing.
It is a trick of the evolved mind that we ever do remember things.