• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Is it easy to control your benzo use and only take them as needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deruyityn

Bluelighter
I had thought to get a strip to keep in the cupboard for only when absolutely needed. Like maybe I took a little too much of a stimulant and was getting anxiety. Or if I really tried to sleep after stim but couldnt. Or just generally I am interested in careful experimentation with a couple of other drugs which are non downers but have been held back for fear of it upsetting my delicate disposition. I would plan not to need the downer but would like it there in case so more of a peace of mind thing and it is there if needed though the plan is not to have to use it if it can be avoided. But when dosing a new drug you dont always get it right do you. So more to course correct minor errors rather than being abusive at the outset and needing something to comedown as the norm.

Is it acceptable to keep them for that? I also have erectile dysfunction which is purely nervous and have thought about using a low dose to ease that till I get some positive reinforcement under my belt.

I have taken them before for this purpose but was always so afraid that it would cause me to use more over time that I would never be able to relax I was so afraid that even one dose was the beginning of the end.

I am certainly not an abusive user of any drug and always am very sparing. Well I am now I made some errors when I was younger but who hasn't.

So is it acceptable to keep them in stock for when you really needed them in such cases? Im guess Im asking how likely is it that you will want to justify taking them more often. I have a huge fear of the withdrawal after reading people's stories for years so I don't see how Id want to take more if they aren't especially compulsive which people say they aren't.

I want to hear a cross section from those who have experience with them. How easily are you able to control your usage? because generally it seems to be 50/50 from what Ive heard in that some people don't find them compulsive and have no problems with sproadic usage whereas others say they are the worst thing in the world due to having abused them and suffered withdrawals.

So is using them at all playing with fire?

I have two sisters who used to sometimes take one of my dad's prescribed diazepam as well as the mother and they didn't seem to have issues.

As I said Ive used them a bit in the past only maybe less than 10 occasions. I never felt 'I need more!' but I also felt uneasy wondering if using them even semi regular would lead to problems. I also recalled the other week how me and my mates bought a bag of temazepams from another friend back in the 90s and we would take them and even drink a few beers with them. And that was when I was in my most reckless days where we were doing it simply to 'get wrecked' at age 15 and I never got a particular taste for them.

Last edited:
Ok, well I'll answer as honestly as I can.
i have has access to benzos for about the last 15 years. I never ever abused them, taken more than prescribed, I was also very careful not to dose more than once a day unless extreme emergency , which may have happened once.
I feel like I don't have the addict gene, I was always able to control my drinking ( don't drink now), herb ( don't use), smoking ( quit CT 20 years ago), etc. Never abused Stims or physcoactives
BUT... There are two groups of people at risk of becoming addicted to these type of pill. First is one with an addictive personality who has trouble managing any drug use. The second is someone who benzos would help them become a different person, a person normally in perpetual never ending anxiety, like people with Asperger's syndrome .
The problem though is you never notice the addiction until it already is. So keep that in ,ind, you just asking the question is a good sign. Set up a few rules like no consecutive day use unless truly having a 10/10 panic attack. If less use coping strategies,, done waste it on a sleeping pill, that sort of thing.

Some people are simply full of excuses and have no self control

The majority of the population use benzos just as you propose, have a stash in the bathroom for the odd times that they really need them. They are not that insidiously addictive that you have to worry about them calling your name every day unless you choose to go that way.

I guess that's the trick to avoiding any addiction though, self control. If you start slipping the odd one while drinking a beer to take the edge off, or use them increasingly more and more to sleep then you do run the risk of addiction.

The problem with reading a site like bluelight is you get the misguided perception that all drug users fall into addiction where as the vast majority of the population can have a stash and not.

I've had a valid Rx for a benzo for more than ten years. At first, when I was given short acting ones like Xanax or Ativan I had trouble not taking them all in one week (#90) They are not "fun" to abuse once your tolerance to them kicks in and/or you have a seizure. I had a grand mal from benzo withdrawal and now at worst I mite get a day or two behind.

You can't have a "these are too get fucked up on" attitude If you wish to make them last and not have a benzodiazepine related disaster. I used to call it "valium luck" no more ..

Find a dose that works,with whatever benzo works best, usually something longer acting like Valium or Klonopin, and find a way to only take what the doc gives you.

Or not, it's all up to you

The problem with reading a site like bluelight is you get the misguided perception that all drug users fall into addiction where as the vast majority of the population can have a stash and not.

Right thats what Ive thought alot. The ones who complain the loudest are going to be the worst abusers. Its like I read loads of tianeptine abuse stories on here where ppl are taking 7+ grams a day which prevented me from trying it.

I probably find such people intolerable in real life with their wreckless lifestyles yet it is their views which sway my opinions most strongly online due to their vivid tales of woe.

but that is not to be conplacent and say I would be above it but rather a proper cross section of society should be taken before drawing conclusions as to the addiction potential of a substance.

Last edited:
I think it all depends on what type of person you are, sure you might not have a problem with your stimulant use, but maybe with benzos you will, or won't. In the end I don't think it's really worth risking unless you have serious anxiety or insomnia issues that basically debilitate you. I don't find benzos to be recreational, but does that mean I use them responsibly? Hell no. I would say that I'm a more responsible heroin user then pill popper. With heroin I'm smart and organized about my use, I'd always have something saved for the morning so I could get on that hustle. With benzos, total opposite. I'd buy say 50 bars, telling myself "well, now you're set for the next 25 days", if I'm lucky I'll maybe make a week, though even that would be a stretch. When it comes to benzos I am like an alcoholic, I'll set a limit, and then immediately fuck it off. A lot of people are like that too, part of the problem is that benzos can cause amnesia/black outs during which you'll most likely consume your whole stash, and then wonder who stole your pills.

There are people that can use them responsibly though, don't get me wrong, there's just so many that really can't.

I probably find such people intolerable in real life with their wreckless lifestyles yet it is their views which sway my opinions most strongly online due to their vivid tales of woe.

I'm probably one of the least reckless people I know, yet I still found myself addicted to benzos.

Actually, that may have been precisely why I got addicted to them. When you're a naturally anxious person, benzos can absolutely be a lifesaver that can be used responsibly over many years; once you hit a serious crisis though, it is all too tempting to try and keep yourself "functional" by escalating your dose.

The majority of the population use benzos just as you propose, have a stash in the bathroom for the odd times that they really need them. They are not that insidiously addictive that you have to worry about them calling your name every day unless you choose to go that way.

I guess that's the trick to avoiding any addiction though, self control. If you start slipping the odd one while drinking a beer to take the edge off, or use them increasingly more and more to sleep then you do run the risk of addiction.

I second this. As long as it is only when absolutely necessary, you'll be fine.

You'll be fine it's just some nerve pills u keep around... Now if u were having to stop tmyrself from getting into them everyday it would be a different story.. And as sum1 said this site is full of pill junkies and heroine addicts and crystal meth addicts... Of course every drug you mention on here there gonna act like its the start of some kind of hAbbit if you take a few a week

Absolutely.

Lately when I've taken benzodiazepines they've made me depressed, almost to the point of "suicidal ideation". So I haven't really been taking them...I was recently prescribed diazepam, though, for a stress-related condition I have. Even 5 mgs was too much for me, it was too much sedation and my job is often labor intensive, so those two factors (physical sedation + physically active/somewhat dangerous work) don't mix well. I dialed my dose down to 2.5 mgs and that seems more like a suitable dose.

Like I've said in the past on BL, I don't understand how people find them to be "recreational" or even addictive in any way, shape or form. To me they kill all enjoyment in life, I hate them...only taking low doses of diazepam currently to rule out stress/anxiety as a cause for some medical issues I've been having regarding my lungs. I've been on many mood stabilizers in my life, doctors love prescribing them to me for some reason.

OP, your question has been throughly answered correctly. More of the same may confuse you. Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.