• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Irritability on Oxycodone - Is it just me?

Poly_User_Zoomer

Greenlighter
As far as I can remember I've always had a tendency to become agitated while on Oxycodone. Does this happen for anyone else? If I'm by myself I can stay pretty consistently euphoric and happy but when I'm interrupted or something goes slightly wrong I become agitated very easily. It's gotten worse over the years and I don't know if it's related to repeated withdrawals (kindling/permanent tolerance) or whether it's to do with the naloxone in the pills as I take Targin. I can't quite remember because most of my use has been with Targin but I think it happens even with Oxycontin, but I don't think it's as pronounced and the effects are smoother.

I'm currently on 5mg Oxycodone/2.5mg Naloxone and have only been taking 2 pills a day spaced apart and in the past only noticed the naloxone start to block the effects orally at 20mg/10mg and up. But I'm getting very irritable even on just 5mg/2.5mg.

I went through a pretty rough benzo withdrawal and still have some slight symptoms 7 months out but am normally pretty easy going and calm when not on anything. Most drugs have an increased effect on me since benzo withdrawal (mostly negative side effects). I don't seem to get agitated when I have poppy seed tea so it's either something to do with oxy or naloxone. I've read something about oxy affecting GABA and it wasn't clear to me whether it was in a negative or positive way but it sounded negative. The extra agitation could be because my GABA is messed up now.

But in any case is this just me or do others get this agitation too and is it just with oxy or other opioids too?

Thanks

Yeah man, I can definitely get grumpy on opioids. I'm on subs now tho, so I think I've just gotten used to it, or the agitation has just melded into my normal personality. Overall, I'm not on edge too awfully bad. Actually pretty chill, I had a lot of crazy anger incidents when I was doing and/or trying to quit H.

Thanks guys! Was hoping it wasn't just me as it would probably mean something is up but it's definitely worse than it used to be. Any idea whether it is GABA related? Would make sense considering my circumstances

Apart from the irritability it seems to level out all other mood and lack of energy/motivation aspects of the benzo withdrawal, only been back on oxy a few days and when they wear off I start to convince myself I'm having opioid withdrawal as the general shitty feeling of benzo withdrawal re-emerges. Even when I get muscle spasms it feels like the oxy fights it, muscles begin to twitch but it kind of stiffens and stops sooner than it normally would. This stuff is like weed in the aspect that it just seems to fix everything lol. Always been my favourite drug

Benzo withdrawal makes you very prone to irritability, so it's no surprise you feel irritable after taking strong opioids in benzo withdrawal.

I also agree that sub tends to make you less irritable than other opiates, probably due to the long half life and milder effects.

I had to go to drug counceling due to an arrest years ago. The councelor was pretty cool. Had gotten off methadone after 20 years on, came back from Vietnam and just did methadone and dope for years. Anyway he cleans up and starts a recovery center. After a few years of counceling he OD''d leaving behind a pregnant wife and one year old child. Oddy enough he thought I would fall. It was a crazy legacy. I bring this up because I told him although I am euphoric on opiates I get irritable. He said psychologically I equate the opiate to peace tranquility and a nice escape and if anythng interrupts that wall we get irritable. Made sense to me. I get very irritable on any opiate. And I have to live with me. lol

Don't know about the benzo withdrawal but others already have posted. So yeah probably the same thing. We want peace and anything that f*cks with that irritates the piss out of me. It gets worse as I get older. I know why people get cranky. Just tired of doing too. Just wanna rest. :)

Last edited:
Oxy is definitely the worst of all the opiates for this IMO.

It’s this reason that I stayed away for a couple years after my first try. I remember flipping shit at my friends for no reason, like straight going off. Screaming n what not.

-GC

Benzo withdrawal makes you very prone to irritability, so it's no surprise you feel irritable after taking strong opioids in benzo withdrawal.

I also agree that sub tends to make you less irritable than other opiates, probably due to the long half life and milder effects.
Makes sense, do you know the mechanism that underlies this? Particularly curious whether oxy does cause some sort of GABA down regulation, I get a bit clammy and hot under the collar too which never used to happen before but apart from that it helps greatly and isn't increasing any symptoms in the long term. After reading many stories over at benzobuddies it appears some opioids may even help the healing process. Something about balancing neurotransmitters, which I would assume allows for less disruption and faster healing
You might find kava helpful for your benzo withdrawal symptoms.
I've heard of a lot that would be helpful in benzo withdrawal but there's no way I'm touching anything that deals with stimulating GABA. If I were in one of my first few valium withdrawals I'd go for it, but this time around some ridiculous level of dependence developed and I'm very prone to setbacks. Smoking one puff of a cigarette increased my symptoms for a month not long ago and something similar happened when I consumed a V energy earlier on in withdrawal, I won't even take ibuprofen due to reports of setbacks. I probably sound overly cautious but I do not want to go anywhere near back to the relentless horrors I experienced lol, it's a very complex withdrawal and staying clean apart from weed has helped tremendously
I had to go to drug counceling due to an arrest years ago. The councelor was pretty cool. Had gotten off methadone after 20 years on, came back from Vietnam and just did methadone and dope for years. Anyway he cleans up and starts a recovery center. After a few years of counceling he OD''d leaving behind a pregnant wife and one year old child. Oddy enough he thought I would fall. It was a crazy legacy. I bring this up because I told him although I am euphoric on opiates I get irritable. He said psychologically I equate the opiate to peace tranquility and a nice escape and if anythng interrupts that wall we get irritable. Made sense to me. I get very irritable on any opiate. And I have to live with me. lol

Don't know about the benzo withdrawal but others already have posted. So yeah probably the same thing. We want peace and anything that f*cks with that irritates the piss out of me. It gets worse as I get older. I know why people get cranky. Just tired of doing too. Just wanna rest. :)
I too had the theory that the irritability was a result of my peace being disturbed but at this point I think that was just the only thing I could logically figure out. Definitely affects some receptor because even when I am left alone now I'm still getting a degree of irritability

Oxy is definitely the worst of all the opiates for this IMO.

It’s this reason that I stayed away for a couple years after my first try. I remember flipping shit at my friends for no reason, like straight going off. Screaming n what not.

-GC
I found it very hard one day on the job to not absolutely flip it at my boss who wouldn't stop talking to me. Normally I'd love our chats but that day I wanted to rip his head off for "disturbing me"

Yeah I also get pretty grumpy. Certain opioids are worse than other for this. Oxycodone and hydrocodone are among the worst.....both make me kindof a dick. They make me super impatient and if someone explains something in an unnecessarily long winded way I get upset.... or if someone asks me to do something. It's not cool.

Thank you all for sharing!1 This is a Great thread for me today. I helped out a friend who went too hard on his script ( we both are Cancer survivors, Head & Neck) he did not have a very good out come with his!
I only take 10/325 Norco for my pain and dependence/addiction? So I lent him a few and he returned real Oxy 10/300.
I took one as not different than my Hydro, and turned in to a mean Asshole!! Not good. I want to tapper down and hope to get off everything.
I am a garbage head at the moment.
20-30 Hydro
300-600 gabipentin
1-3 gram of Kraton
THC gummies
per day!!
So I do not drink but I am not Clean??
I love this group
Iceman

Isn't it crazy how we are so different with our Biological makeup? I have never gotten any grumpiness from opioids ( any of them ) and oxy was the purest, cleanest feel good drug I ever did. Loved it and loved everyone while I was on it. Same with Vicodin, codeine and even kratom. So weird.

You know what I think I would have gotten bat shit crazy on and become a wild screaming banshee? Stims. And this is exactly why I have never done one. I knew what my personality was like and just knew that if I tried stims I would lose it on someone. It was the fear of doing that that kept me from trying them.

We are indeed so different in our make ups and brain chemistry. One mans pleasure is another mans poison.

Stims however are on my bucket list. IF I have any notification that I am about to die ( Stage 4 cancer ) I am going to bypass the chemo and radiation and let someone shoot me up with Crystal Meth.

A few days later I am going to let same person shoot me up with REAL heroin.

Both on my bucket list but both will never be partaken of. I am hoping I get some notice of my impending doom.