• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Psychology IQ is largely a pseudoscientific swindle

Two types of people laugh at the law: those that break it and those that make it.'

-Nightwatch

I'm sure their are much nastier people like Trump. What makes Trump a 'special needs' billionaire is that he needs constant external validation. He cannot handle even the mildest criticism.

I didn't realize just how many citizens identify as 'uneducated' (Trump's stated favorite demographic) and I suspect he could win a second term because so many people prefer the simple lie to the complex truth. THAT is frightening. He's a symptom.

You mean you think he does things that would be considered illegal on a regular basis

I suggest that the original comment might be closer to the truth. If their is a legal way that yields $1 million and an illegal way that yields 10 cents more, he would unthinkingly choose the illegal way. His whole life has re-enforced the idea that he's legally untouchable. The wealthy often do because the US is the best example of a nation where justice no longer exists. It's simply who can obtain the services of legal teams who specialize in knowing and using the cracks and loopholes in the laws of the land,

Even in the UK we have experts in specific legal areas and can obtain either discharge due to a loophole or ways to stall the process for so long that they can then argue that witnesses couldn't POSSIBLY recall details after years (the years THEY stalled the process for).

I think our several parts of our laws have had to be changed due to someone finding a defence that worked and can be applied more generally. They even had names, like chess.

When the laws were written, there simply wasn't a class of people who had millions to spend on a defence.

That must explain all of the times he's been in court, its just my own personal bias that got him there

And yet he has always got away with it re-enforcing his beliefs.

But we OT.

People who score highly in IQ tests seem more capable in roles where the manipulation of formal logic is the key skill. It doesn't seem to test creativity, inter-personal skills, risk management and indeed the majority of skills key to the majority of jobs.

I spent 2 decades as a professional computer game programmer but I would struggle to learn how to replace a crankshaft. I'm sure I would find the digital diagnosis systems found in modern engines very straightforward, but I'm the first to admit that my skill-set is very narrow. I am VERY clumsy.

People like Stephen Wiltshire would score badly, I presume, but he's still considered to be an amazing artist.

People who score highly in IQ tests seem more capable in roles where the manipulation of formal logic is the key skill. It doesn't seem to test creativity, inter-personal skills, risk management and indeed the majority of skills key to the majority of jobs.
You seem like a person who would score highly on a formal iq test.

Creativity and inter-personal skills are different part of iq as there are multiple types of intelligence. The general iq test is basically just math, chemistry, logic.

You seem like a person who would score highly on a formal iq test.

Creativity and inter-personal skills are different part of iq as there are multiple types of intelligence. The general iq test is basically just math, chemistry, logic.

Maybe - but don't ask me to fix your PC. I'm only good at formal logic and as a personality trait, I feel no pressure to make decisive decisions. That meant that for a 12 month project I would learn the machine (almost every game was for a different platform) and play with various methodologies so after 4 months I might only have maybe 2000 lines of assembly language. BUT I was mapping out the WHOLE solution in my head.

I was one of the programmers behind the original Tomb Raider (the assembly language parts) and thendid the Gameboy Color version of same which was 100% assembly language, I mean, I worked a 100 hour week to give me that time which was my choice. The full list of games is from the C64 version of Tetris to a real 3D game on the Gameboy Advance (the company went bust).

So I fear that I would do badly if an arbitrary time limit is imposed. I know the first thing I would do would be to read every question so I understood the task. Then obviously complete the questions that are trivial (to me - formal logic again) and then the ones that I could see the answer to but would require a bit if pencil and paper work... then I would have learnt more about how the designers (like hardware designers) 'thought' and what were likely strategies. Order them and complete them and finally seek that oldest trick in the book - reduce the 4 possible responses to 2. Then, even if I run out of time just guessing would yield 50% success.

Sorry for that VEERY wordy response but I have Asbergers so I always feel the need to express myself in a way that has no 'shades of meaning'. But I'm sure you have seen other posts. People think it's arrogance, it's the opposite. I fear my failure to communicate accurately.

Coders have generally something of an 125 iq based on studies. Coders and math + physics and chemistry readers had the highest iq on university on a study I read based on iq.

Iq is just math iq, theres like 7 levels of iq and we all are on different points on it.

I've come across the '7 areas' ideas before but in the main they are careful not to use the acronym IQ.

Word Smart (linguistic intelligence)

Math Smart (numerical/reasoning/logic intelligence)

Physically Smart (kinesthetic intelligence)

Music Smart (musical intelligence)

People Smart (interpersonal intelligence)

Self Smart (intrapersonal intelligence)

Visually Smart (Spatial intelligence)

Social, Education and Administration towards the bottom
:Sherlock:

iq-majors-768x3151.jpg

Does a 'major' refer to the major subject of an undergraduate degree course?

The UK doesn't use the term.

These findings provide further evidence for the predominance of genetic influences on adult intelligence over any other systematic source of variation

Genetic and environmental contributions to IQ in adoptive and biological families with 30-year-old offspring​

Does a 'major' refer to the major subject of an undergraduate degree course?

The UK doesn't use the term.

Different education systems. The UK generally forces students to specialize at 16 and consequently our undergraduate degrees are more advanced than US equivalents. US education remains broader for longer, and their 'major' is a nod towards specializing in a subject. They generally need to do a masters to catch up though.

The UK generally forces students to specialize at 16

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean that in the UK one needs to choose a course of study at 16 years of age?

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean that in the UK one needs to choose a course of study at 16 years of age?

In a way yes. You (used to) get 2-5 subjects for the 16-18 year range - A-Levels in England and Wales. I believe it's recently changed for the young-uns, many of whom now do IB certificates. But basically, if you hadn't picked right at 16 (or even 14, depending) then your chances of getting the university degree you want at 18 are automatically limited by not having the prior subjects at the right level.

For people like me (generalists) the UK system sucks.