• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Inspirational Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly iz 'The art of motercycle maintenance' about?
Iz it about motercycles?? heehee.
:) smile :)

Liked "Lila" more than "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". Got lost at the end of Zen actually. Had a strange flash of the 'oneness' of everything reading "Lila".
"Fruits of the Earth" by Andre Gide was really nice. Lyrical and passionate.
There's an anthology "High Risk 2", the first short story "Going out like a fucking meteor!" by the late Craig G. Harris is one of the most powerful pieces of writing that I ever had the honour to come across.
Anything by Ayn Rand is bound to to make you feel like a Superman/ Superwoman for the next couple of days, untill you gradually figure out that you're human. "Atlas Shrugged" reads like a good epic movie.
"Germinal" by Emile Zola is a moving piece of work too.

If inspiration is what you are seeking I definitely recommend anything by Richard Bach. A particularly good one is " ILLUSIONS The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah"

Almost forgot:
Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wuertzel (sp?)
Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

I totally agree with Oopsz. "The Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield was one of the most inspirational books I've read.

Originally posted by Shrinking Brain:
The Alchemist is an awesome little book. :D
Veronika Decides To Die, by the same author Paulo Coelho is an excellent and inspirational read too.
It's all about the madness within all of us, and the cure for Vitriol.

I opened this specifically to recomend 'Veronika Decides to die'
Another really great read that gives you a different perspective is 'White Orleander' by Janet Fisk. A book about a girl growing up in various foster homes after her 'eccentric' boheimien mother goes to jail. Very real writing style but beautiful at the same time.
I have to admit that I've read um, I think 4 of the Oprah book club books & they have all been brilliant.

Neverwhere-Neil Gaiman
Requiem For a Dream- Hubert Selby Jr.
The latter is kind of depressing, but still inspiring in it's own special little way.

I saw the movie Requiem for a Dream and loved it! Didnt know there waz a book out from it tho...would b an interesting read. Thanx :)

o yea
  • ismael
  • story of b
  • das energi
  • stranger in a strange land
  • time enough for love
  • anything by bukowski ;)

^^^^
ah yes, great book!
heres a couple other to spy too:
JOB: a comedy of justice
I will fear no evil
its strange, i don't even like sci fi, but i started reading robert heilin books in high school and his fictional storys actually played a part in shaping me and my morals/beliefs
all these books have.
:)

Awe the Prophet, by Gibran, beautifully written
Anyone ever read the Trilogy, Hobbit,Lord of the Rings,The Two Towers, The Return of the King, all great fatasies, you get lost into a world imagined by you as you read them, Beautiful and breathtaking adventures into the realms of the mind and spirit. Can't wait to see the Two Towers
A Separate Reality, By Carlos Consteneda, and awesome look at reality with different perspective, of being a warrior with spirit, courage, and facing fears
Owen Meany
Any CS Lewis books
THE BIBLE he he flame me
Civil war book... Killer Angels, awesome book
The Thin Red Line, also another book, that gets into the mind of the warrior and the battles fought and overcome.
Anything written by ALICE WALKER I found excellent
(Author of The Color Purple)

mannn theres soo many posts here !!! i dont know if you can read them alll!!! any way thanks fo readin my poems by the way its always exciting when someone reads them , its not my usuall style but lately ive been writting less personal things.,... anyway back to the question,,, the most inspriational book i ever read was the celestine prophecy and its other books

Here's one I forgot to recommend:
The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
~~~~~
I second that, and it's on the web sorted into small chapters.

The Poisonwood Bible
Catcher in the Rye---all time fave
To Kill a Mockingbird---all time fave
Siddhartha---everyone's suggesting this because it truly fits the title of this thread.
The English Patient
A Prayer for Owen Meany
Flowers for Algernon
Lust for Life---Vincent van Gogh's biography. amazing.
Moon and Sixpence---like HTG says :)
The Red Tent
Anthem
The Grapes of Wrath---as absolutely depressing as this book is, it just leaves you..wow.
Animal Farm
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings---maya angelou. fits the title of this thread.
i think that's all for now...i loveeee books like you're talking about and that have been mentioned :)

Status
Not open for further replies.