• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Injecting crushed pills leads to amputations or death, support group warns

SixBuckets

Bluelighter
Good to see some awareness-raising on this in the media (especially that's relatively non judgey).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-02/coroner-highlights-dangers-of-injected-crushed-tablets/6902994

Injecting crushed pills leads to amputations or death, support group warnsBy Emilie Gramenz
Posted Mon at 7:17am

There are calls to increase public awareness about the dangers of crushing up medication tablets and injecting them, which can cause severe problems with blood flow and lead to death.

Dr Ian Guinan from Tasmania's Alcohol and Drug Service said it was a common practice amongst people with a history of drug use.

"We're a state that has a relative scarcity of street drugs, so it tends to be the case that once people have developed addictions the source of medications they tend to be using are either prescribed medications or over-the-counter medication," he said.

"I guess the perception is that by injecting a drug, a user might then find that they're getting a faster effect from it.

"There might also be a perception that maybe it'll be stronger taken in that way.

"It tends to be a cultural thing, so it's passed on really from one drug user to another."

Tablets that are meant to be taken by mouth quite often have ingredients that your digestive system can handle but that can be very dangerous when injected.
Dr Ian Guinan
A coronial report published last month found a 35-year-old woman in southern Tasmania died of acute heart failure after injecting crushed-up tablets in October 2013.

Coroner Stephen Carey referred to comments from the forensic pathologist who performed the autopsy, noting microcrystalline cellulose is used as a binder in tablets, but is insoluble.

The report noted that repeated injections can cause abrupt decreased blood flow and lead to heart failure.

Mr Carey said it was tragic outcome that highlighted the risk of injecting tablet-form mediation.

"All persons and agencies having contact with people with a history of drug abuse who are at risk of or who may well be misusing tablet medication in this form must highlight to those persons the very real risk of death in such practice," his report read.

Injecting crushed tablets can lead to limb amputations

Studies have shown injecting crushed-up tablets can also lead to limb amputation because of blood flow problems.

The Tasmania Alcohol and Drug Services monitors patients for evidence of injection and other drug behaviours.

Dr Guinan welcomed the coroner's statement, saying public awareness was lacking about the dangers of injecting tablet medication.

"Tablets that are meant to be taken by mouth quite often have other ingredients that are designed to bulk up tablets, that your digestive system can handle but that can be very dangerous when injected," he said.

"Really, it's something that we do want to get out in the broader community."

If you're going to shoot pills, don't heat them up. That's how the largest proportion of binders and fillers will get into your bloodstream. Better to use cold or room-temperature water, even if it isn't as efficient at dissolving all of the active ingredient(s).

There are some old timers or "lifers" at the mmt clinic I go to and some of them have some seriously fucked up arms. Areas that are basically missing bc I'm sure they had some cut rate dr treat them. Track scars everywhere. Luckily I only ended up with like two dark spots, everyone says they can't notice but I do...anyways,

I have shot pills before but I was mainly using smack and would only shoot a pill if I had to. Talk about messy. Once you crush its so much material that when you put in like .8 units which is like 2 more than id use for a fat 20 of raw dope,

As soon as the water bits the powder it just kinda like sits on it lol, you stir and its all nasty, I never had a micron filter either which is retarded on my part, esp shooting the original oxycontins.

But seeing the ppl at the clinic who have busted arms from shooting pills makes me kinda glad I never got into that.