• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

In Pain Please Help

Seeyoursoul

Greenlighter
Hey,

I've read this forum sporadically for years so let me start by saying thank you for all of the great work that you do keeping people safe. When I was 14 (18 now) I was in a skiing accident and hurt my back. I did regimens of PT on and off for three years following the accident. It never really helped though. Other than that the only treatment that helped was trigger point injections at a pain clinic which often were prior to PT. In part I think this was because of my age and doctors being hesitant to either A) prescribe anything or B) do any real treatment for the aforementioned reason. However the pain never fully left and always came back, usually in a week or two. To be clear this is my lower back. A MRI showed a herniation (l3/4 I think). I have documentation of this. Now I experience a tightness and sharp pain in my upper back on the left side below my shoulder that comes and goes. I guess my question is what would you guys do now? I haven't seen anyone for around 18 months because I have given up on improvement. I have read bad back books, taken up yoga, etc. I don't want to waste more time and money just to leave with a rx of 800 ibuprofen because that doesn't relieve my pain. That being said I do not want surgery. My dad had back surgery and isn't necessarily better...at all. However, substance abuse runs in my family and I know how medications like opiates can be. So I'm hesitant about that route. But this pain has made me so depressed these last years (depression also runs in my family) and living with it isn't living at all. There has to be an answer. I've taken ssris and medications like that for depression/anxiety since I hurt my back but stopped because of bad side effects. I have had a prescription of Concerta in the past. If medication is the only route would that possibly lead a doctor to work with me more? What about acquiring character reference letters? Is there an effective option other than medication or surgery? How would you guys approach this / broach the subject with a doctor. I feel like they always just say there's nothing they can do. But I can't take this anymore every day for the rest of my life. Thanks.

honestly, don't even take none of that shit unless you are dying. they won't give it to you unless that is the case.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I don't really want opiates. They dont eliminate pain and are addictive.