• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

I'm melting!

Reasons why some meth is gluggy, and why other crystal may turn gluggy. It's usually a result of 1 of 2 things.

1. Meth is so impure crystallization will not occur - termed base. This often also has solvents present such as acetone, toluene or xylene, or a mixture of these and possibly also methyl butyl ketone (MBK) if a paint or general purpose solvent is used. "Pseudo" or mixed crystal forms may be obtained from a product like this by using adulterants. Depending upon technique, the crystal may be more or less affected by moisture than the pure thing.
  2. The methods employed in crystallization of pure meth. Want to know how they grow really BIG crystals? There are several methods that can be employed. Apparently, a common one is via vapour (meth) depositing on a copper surface. Some of these methods use VERY dry conditions. Of course using anhydrous solvents and conditions means a more pure for weight product, but some crystallization methods won't work at all if there's moisture present. This product can be very susceptible to absorbing moisture. Humidity can make all the difference.
    [/list=1]

Meth loves to form beautiful lattice arrangements by itself, but also bonds with water. The crystal is a protonated form of the freebase, meaning the Nitrogen on the amine is bonded with an "extra" hydrogen. This comes from the H-Cl; the acid used to make the salt.

The extra H gives the Nitrogen a + charge. ( -NH< ) The + charge permits the loosely bound extra H to be attracted to the slightly negative charge on the Oxygen of H2O. This is known as H or hydrogen bonding and is the reason water doesn't boil at around 0-1 degree celsius. Most of all, water molecules love to bond with each other in this manner.

Similar forces are due to electrostatic attraction-repulsion and all are collectively grouped as weak intermolecular or "Van der Waals" forces. When meth etc is anhydrous, these forces exist between 2 or more amphetamine molecules and a single Hydrogen. It's a bit like a tug of war where both teams are equal in strength. The shapes which result determine the crystalline structure.

Sometimes it's hard to "push" out the water if bound with an amine like meth. It can usually be substantially reduced by heating and cooling in a completely dry environment. A hot jar containing dried silica gel helps - details are elsewhere, use the search function.

During the hours of early morning (usually sometime between 2-6am) precipitation occurs in the lower atmosphere. Humidity will effectively increase for a period. e.g. the humidity level here (SE qld) is currently around 54% during the day but is 73% at 3:30 am

If the weather has been very dry - and I mean very dry - opening your rock to the atmosphere during this time may result in the crystal absorbing moisture.

If you really want to get into the science of crystallization ( and therefore understand all on the above topic) then there's always the next level; Crystal Microscopy. This technique is regularly used by forensic scientists when initially identifying a drug, or if confirming TLC results. Some drugs make very characteristic crystal patterns when stained with different dyes and crystallized from different solvents.

methamphetamine.jpg

Methamphetamine (Desoxyn)

Other compounds such as steroids also form amazing crystals. How can this next molecule be bad for you? ;)

cholest.jpg

choles2a.jpg

Cholesterol

More here

Last edited:
That's pretty much what I figured. (The idea of saturation levels and partial hydration is something we covered a great deal in engineering, plus I remembered most of the stuff you spoke about from chemistry in year 12).

Though there's something about heating up meth that seems somewhat familiar!

Thanks p_d! :)

As a side note, would there be a simple way of removing the water from the meth after its gone sticky? A friend of mine wanted to try some methods of drying it out, but I advised him against it because I was extremely unfamilliar with them and wasnt sure if they would actually work (at the time I had no idea as to the reason for the stickiness). Also I think Sllip mentioned something about dessicant not working on what he had?

stace.

^^
You'll need...
  • 2 x empty coffee jars, one small enough to fit easily inside the other (room around the sides)
  • 1 x dry lid for the larger jar
  • Oven on very low

Heat both in an oven on LOW. Too hot to touch is TOO HOT. Place your colour change silica gel in the large jar (about 1/3 full). Place both jars in the oven without lids.

When warm and the pink silica is blue, then remove both jars. The damp goo is then placed in the small jar which is then carefully centered around the silica gel in the large jar. Put a lid on the large jar, but loosely ( MOST IMPORTANT that the LID is NOT tight. Finger tighten then back off 1/2 a turn. Place in a dry environment and wait....

Repeat if silica changes to pink before goo is dry or if the jars completely cool and it's still wet. All going well your goo should dry to a powder. You'll have to recrystallise if you want crystals.

Might be worth noting that you have to keep the oven well below 171degC. Otherwise you'll risk vapourising the meth!

i have to agree with the mods on this, dont tell someone to use meth in a pin especially when there sus on the shit i agree with flushing it, getting high is not worth death ...

I know one dealer who stores his ounces of speed in the freezer.... and he probably jumped all over it first, no doubt on that, he's out to make a buck.... but I swear sometimes a point you get from him is like eating 20mg of pure.