• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

I'm going to buy a Nintendo DS Lite

DelusionalLDN

Bluelighter
I was going to wait for the DSi but then I see that they have removed the GBA slot on the DSi, hell with that.

What games would you recommend?

Why not buy a PSP and use a DS emulator?

Anyway, if you want suggestions - this is a classic, but awesome: Polarium.

Also the Fire Emblem series.

Kirby's Canvas Curse or Kirby Squeak Squad! They seem like games made for Japanese 12 year olds, but I loved them.
Metroid Prime Hunters was fun.
The best though is KorgDS-10, but only if you like making electronic music. It's a synthesizer/sequencer program that Nintendo made with Korg. Endless fun.
If you get an R4 card or similar then you can download homebrew apps, which there are tons of cool ones. Again on the note of music, Nitrotracker is awesome homebrew mojo.

New_Super_Mario_Bros.jpg

pretty fun/basic game

Why not buy a PSP and use a DS emulator?

Anyway, if you want suggestions - this is a classic, but awesome: Polarium.

Also the Fire Emblem series.

I used to have a PSP and I didn't really like it. Plus, I'm reluctant to give any more money to Sony.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village - DS Game of the Year, and deserves every bit of it.

And that actually plays well for people no matter the preference.
What are some other games that you've enjoyed in the past? It's usually easier for me to suggest when I know your preference. :)

The new Mario game is really tight. Mario Kart is a classic. Brain Age is pretty fun if you like Sudoku and wierd puzzle games.

i'm tempted to get a DS just for the exclusive GTA title: Chinatown Wars

I bought mine for Korg DS-10 but I've become hooked on Elite Beat Agents. I want to get GTA at some point.

I thought about getting a DS a while back just for the pirate-carts that you can put an SD card in. This allows you to play retro ROMs, music/video, as well as pirated DS games from illicit web sources. Of course I would never personally advocate piracy...just food for thought %)

^wow, that's interesting. i aint seen that kind of piracy since the super nintendo cart with 3.5inch floppy disc drive.

It's fucking nauseating how easy it is to turn your DS into a fucking beast with these things. Not that I advocate piracy, but you could literally have every DS game made for free via torrents and just drag and drop the ROMs onto the cart (as many as space allows) and boot it up. It also has built-in emulators (I think NES, SNES, and Genesis) and applications for music/video playback as well. Check out this site http://r4ds.cn/, I think they produce the carts, although I'm pretty sure you have to purchase them from other sites. If you're going to get a DS, these things seem like the way to go.

EDIT: Here is a link to a different brand of pirate-cart: http://www.m3adapter.com/. This one is the one I was looking at when I was in the market for a DS. I'd do some research to find out what the differences are (if any).

EDIT2: Here are some reviews of the M3DS Real:
http://www.iso420.org/nds/m3real/index.html
http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=68277
Apparently you can download additional applications to run on this thing (i.e. the NES/SNES emulator), which is pretty cool. After checking back up on this, I kinda want one myself lol.

Last edited:
Don't get an r4 card. They were great, but newer games may need to be patched and still may not work. The r4 teams has stopped making updates.

About 6 of my friends have cyclo ds cards. It supports SDHC and comes with a 6gb card for $100! It's top notch.

As for games, Zelda is incredible, elite beat agents is worse than crack and mario kart is best when played in 8 player multiplayer!. The world ends with you got ds game of the year on ign and I truly haven't played anything so refreshing in a long time. You just have to play about 3 hours past the slow parts.

Space invaders extreme is impressive and addicting, ff tactics is incredibly long and fun, and picross is a fun puzzle game to play with a friend with only 1 card.

You buy a lite and a cyclo and you won't regret it or ever have a shortage of games.

Phantom hourglass (Zelda) was nice. I mostly just play Tetris DS on my DS lite though. I should go out and buy some more games for the thing. It's been collecting dust like my Wii. Don't forget that you can pick up GameBoy Advance games for it, too; I'd recommend Metroid Zero Mission.

Don't get an r4 card. They were great, but newer games may need to be patched and still may not work. The r4 teams has stopped making updates.

About 6 of my friends have cyclo ds cards. It supports SDHC and comes with a 6gb card for $100! It's top notch.

As for games, Zelda is incredible, elite beat agents is worse than crack and mario kart is best when played in 8 player multiplayer!. The world ends with you got ds game of the year on ign and I truly haven't played anything so refreshing in a long time. You just have to play about 3 hours past the slow parts.

Space invaders extreme is impressive and addicting, ff tactics is incredibly long and fun, and picross is a fun puzzle game to play with a friend with only 1 card.

You buy a lite and a cyclo and you won't regret it or ever have a shortage of games.

Word, I actually just ordered the CycloDS after reading some reviews that said it was basically the best DS flash-cart on the market.