• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I'ld like to hear from anyone who uses an opioid to fight depression.

I don’t want to come off as a downer or pessimist but this does not sound sustainable and sounds a little TOO SIMILAR to the early stages of my heroin addiction.

My story , to try and keep it short , started with Vicodin as well. the prescription was my mother’s however which actually kept me in check from taking too many because i didn’t want to get caught using drugs (i was 13). i noticed an increase in mood and empathy. i loved the world , the people in it and generally felt like the world and people in it loved me back. i took the pills as the bottle said “1 every 6 hours.” i kept the regimen strong for a few months and nobody was any keener to my forming habit — that is until i began smoking marijuana on top of the pills and going on runs. i could run faster and longer and my runner’s high was unmatched. it seemed obvious to continue my usage because if i didn’t like you said , i’d be just uncomfortable (RLS) and kind of grumpy —

It sounds like you’re about to be at this next part of the story and i URGE you to find something in life worth living for so you don’t end up with anything like my shit life. your may be battling depression but it sounds like you’re also battling early stage addiction here. STOP IT WHILE YOU CAN.

— i started to wonder what would happen if i took two or three. so i did and i loved the effects even more. if i just took one i did the feel much anymore. so two or three became regular then daily. i started researching the pills i was ingesting and came to learn of “bioavailability” and “route of administration.” not too long after i was off to the races. snorting pills left and right , liver pain on the regular which i was taking more and more pills to combat. i maxed out at 10-15 pills a day and the stashes were going faster and faster. eventually i did get caught but that’s not why i’m telling this story so i’ll spare you the details. i was buying them illegally and decided to switch to something stronger with what i assumed based on class of drug alone would be the same effects. ergo the heroin. Long story short i’m on the brink of homelessness nowadays a regular IV methamphetamine user , occasional IV fentanyl user and daily IV suboxone user when the money just isn’t there. i don’t have much going for me besides my next paycheck. i would say i want to get clean but i just can’t image a life without the drugs anymore. YOU DON’T WANT TO END UP LIKE ME. this is not a scare tactic , not a lecture and not me pointing the finger. i simply read this and it sounded way too much like myself for me to not bump this thread. stay safe please and find a passion (maybe take up running ? minus the drugs of course) — or just someone to fuck. welcome to bluelight dude.
That would be "dudette," as I'm a human of the XX variety and content to stay that way. My boyfriend died 3 years ago. He exaggerated his pain, so the VA would increase his supply of Vicodin. He did that because he wanted to offer me his surplus supply. At first I told him that was a bad idea. As the surplus grew bigger in his medication drawer, I eventually thought I might as well partake of it, since it was just sitting there. He was very sick and needed a lot of care, despite not having much pain. I have chronic, moderate back pain, mainly when I do anything physically taxing. (I'm fine sitting in my recliner or just walking around.) I needed those pills to be able to get through a typical day of lifting him from bed to chair to wheel chair to toilet to shower chair, etc. Me doing all that meant he didn't have to go into a nursing home. He didn't want that, and neither did I.

While he was alive, I was taking Vicodin 3 or 4 times a day. Once in a while, 5. After he passed away, I had to make do with my own supply, which allows only 2 tablets per day. I made that transition back in 2020. I've asked my healthcare provider to up me another 30 tablets per month. She has declined to do that. (It's rather obvious that I'm not in all that much pain. So I feel lucky to get what I get.)

That's how I got deeper involved with hydrocodone. My tolerance, of course, has increased to where one tablet really doesn't do anything like it used to do. But I like the subtle effect I still manage to get.

I'm sorry for what you've gone thru and what you still go thru. What you've shared is probably the tip of the iceberg, in terms of the hardships that your addiction has caused in your life. I think that getting exposed at such an early age has something to do with how badly entangled you became in those opioid tentacles. My use started after the age of 50. Not that you can't become an addict at any age. I am physically addicted. Doctors don't seem to believe me, when I explain that I get serious withdrawal symptoms, after just 36 hours without a dose. But I sure do. Consistent daily use has made me dependent. I realize that I am also psychologically addicted. I am constantly looking forward to my next dose. I love how much more comfy my bed feels just 20 minutes after swallowing a tablet. Then the feeling just continues improving for a good two or three hours. Then it fades.

I appreciate the moral of your story. In my case, I'm not looking to score more opioid on the street. I wouldn't even know where to go, but I'm sure I could track down a source, if I really wanted to. One night someone walking by where I live asked me if I wanted to buy some hydrocodone. That seemed like quite a coincidence. I didn't know this person. I think the devil helps users and dealers find each other. Of course, I turned down the offer. I'm just too afraid. There's too much contamination out there. I'm sorry you are living with that danger hanging over your head.

My boyfriend of many years passing away did leave quite a void in my life. You hit the nail on the head when you advised finding something

I don’t want to come off as a downer or pessimist but this does not sound sustainable and sounds a little TOO SIMILAR to the early stages of my heroin addiction.

My story , to try and keep it short , started with Vicodin as well. the prescription was my mother’s however which actually kept me in check from taking too many because i didn’t want to get caught using drugs (i was 13). i noticed an increase in mood and empathy. i loved the world , the people in it and generally felt like the world and people in it loved me back. i took the pills as the bottle said “1 every 6 hours.” i kept the regimen strong for a few months and nobody was any keener to my forming habit — that is until i began smoking marijuana on top of the pills and going on runs. i could run faster and longer and my runner’s high was unmatched. it seemed obvious to continue my usage because if i didn’t like you said , i’d be just uncomfortable (RLS) and kind of grumpy —

It sounds like you’re about to be at this next part of the story and i URGE you to find something in life worth living for so you don’t end up with anything like my shit life. your may be battling depression but it sounds like you’re also battling early stage addiction here. STOP IT WHILE YOU CAN.

— i started to wonder what would happen if i took two or three. so i did and i loved the effects even more. if i just took one i did the feel much anymore. so two or three became regular then daily. i started researching the pills i was ingesting and came to learn of “bioavailability” and “route of administration.” not too long after i was off to the races. snorting pills left and right , liver pain on the regular which i was taking more and more pills to combat. i maxed out at 10-15 pills a day and the stashes were going faster and faster. eventually i did get caught but that’s not why i’m telling this story so i’ll spare you the details. i was buying them illegally and decided to switch to something stronger with what i assumed based on class of drug alone would be the same effects. ergo the heroin. Long story short i’m on the brink of homelessness nowadays a regular IV methamphetamine user , occasional IV fentanyl user and daily IV suboxone user when the money just isn’t there. i don’t have much going for me besides my next paycheck. i would say i want to get clean but i just can’t image a life without the drugs anymore. YOU DON’T WANT TO END UP LIKE ME. this is not a scare tactic , not a lecture and not me pointing the finger. i simply read this and it sounded way too much like myself for me to not bump this thread. stay safe please and find a passion (maybe take up running ? minus the drugs of course) — or just someone to fuck. welcome to bluelight dude.
That would be "dudette," as I'm a human of the XX variety and content to stay that way. My boyfriend died 3 years ago. He exaggerated his pain, so the VA would increase his supply of Vicodin. He did that because he wanted to offer me his surplus supply. At first I told him that was a bad idea. As the surplus grew bigger in his medication drawer, I eventually thought I might as well partake of it, since it was just sitting there. He was very sick and needed a lot of care, despite not having much pain. I have chronic, moderate back pain, mainly when I do anything physically taxing. (I'm fine sitting in my recliner or just walking around.) I needed those pills to be able to get through a typical day of lifting him from bed to chair to wheel chair to toilet to shower chair, etc. Me doing all that meant he didn't have to go into a nursing home. He didn't want that, and neither did I.

While he was alive, I was taking Vicodin 3 or 4 times a day. Once in a while, 5. After he passed away, I had to make do with my own supply, which allows only 2 tablets per day. I made that transition back in 2020. I've asked my healthcare provider to up me another 30 tablets per month. She has declined to do that. (It's rather obvious that I'm not in all that much pain. So I feel lucky to get what I get.)

That's how I got deeper involved with hydrocodone. My tolerance, of course, has increased to where one tablet really doesn't do anything like it used to do. But I like the subtle effect I still manage to get.

I'm sorry for what you've gone thru and what you still go thru. What you've shared is probably the tip of the iceberg, in terms of the hardships that your addiction has caused in your life. I think that getting exposed at such an early age has something to do with how badly entangled you became in those opioid tentacles. My use started after the age of 50. Not that you can't become an addict at any age. I am physically addicted. Doctors don't seem to believe me, when I explain that I get serious withdrawal symptoms, after just 36 hours without a dose. But I sure do. Consistent daily use has made me dependent. I realize that I am also psychologically addicted. I am constantly looking forward to my next dose. I love how much more comfy my bed feels just 20 minutes after swallowing a tablet. Then the feeling just continues improving for a good two or three hours. Then it fades.

I appreciate the moral of your story. In my case, I'm not looking to score more opioid on the street. I wouldn't even know where to go, but I'm sure I could track down a source, if I really wanted to. One night someone walking by where I live asked me if I wanted to buy some hydrocodone. That seemed like quite a coincidence. I didn't know this person. I think the devil helps users and dealers find each other. Of course, I turned down the offer. I'm just too afraid. There's too much contamination out there. I'm sorry you are living with that danger hanging over your head.

My boyfriend of many years passing away did leave quite a void in my life. You hit the nail on the head when you advised finding something worth living for. I am retired and spend most of my time alone, which I believe is making me depressed. I live in a good size city where there's plenty of stuff going on. I need to get out and find things to get involved in.

When we met, my guy was way too involved with alcohol. He went in and out of homelessness. Actually, he was addicted to the bar rooms. (He only drank in bars.) After having become divorced, being at this and that bar seemed to be what he needed to make his life feel livable. Otherwise, he just felt too lonely. But, when he developed very serious health problems, he decided to stop. I think having me helped him also. He went on to live over 20 years completely sober. I was glad I had stuck with him over all the drinking years, though we had become semi-separated. There has been a time when it really looked like he was going to be found dead in the street. His kids had kind of given up on him. The Salvation Army had a lot to do with saving his life. I mention his story because, at his worst, no one thought that he would change or that he could change. Even I got to where I wouldn't be around him when he was drinking. It may not be too late for you. But, yes, you need something to look forward to. Lately I find myself lamenting that "I have nothing to look forward to." However, on days when I'm not depressed, I still have a glimmer of hope that I might be able to change that. Today was one of those days. I just need to not be depressed long enough to find something I can participate in that gets me out of my shell. Then I won't keep spiraling down so bad. These tailspins have been increasingly miserable.

I'll look into it, never heard of this.
Yes do so man. I am again real sorry I influenced you towards the Accu and the tinnitus grief it strangely triggered.

I know you know I was only trying to help though, and also always coming from experience at younger ages feeling same as you describe, seriously major depressing uncomfortable shit too

And how in time I somehow adapted to more than I imagined.

The Electomedicine for infections precisely though I PROMISE you is 100 legit, as effective and life saving, quality enhancing too as I describe.

Any infection in my sinuses, throat, lungs or likely anywhere- heart too, recent Long Covid shit thing L heart valve nasty symptoms but had heart infections before knocked out fast with these treatments think have with this covid one too.

Just read the instructions, if you go for it give me a shout I'll lay out precise method do's dont's etc.

This what you want.

This is an entirely different tech and mechanism but a really extraordinary healing device, antipathogenic anti-inflammatory tissue healing pain killing.

When i was 22 years old i've got PTSD which i didn't even know about it, just knew something is wrong with me and my drug of choice to deal with that and be functional was tramadol, one of my worst decisions ever.

Yes do so man. I am again real sorry I influenced you towards the Accu and the tinnitus grief it strangely triggered.

I know you know I was only trying to help though, and also always coming from experience at younger ages feeling same as you describe, seriously major depressing uncomfortable shit too

And how in time I somehow adapted to more than I imagined.

The Electomedicine for infections precisely though I PROMISE you is 100 legit, as effective and life saving, quality enhancing too as I describe.

Any infection in my sinuses, throat, lungs or likely anywhere- heart too, recent Long Covid shit thing L heart valve nasty symptoms but had heart infections before knocked out fast with these treatments think have with this covid one too.

Just read the instructions, if you go for it give me a shout I'll lay out precise method do's dont's etc.

This what you want.

This is an entirely different tech and mechanism but a really extraordinary healing device, antipathogenic anti-inflammatory tissue healing pain killing.

No no, my doctor edged me on the acupuncture, like multiple times. It wasn't you, it was my own decision. I fucked around and found out, and besides, I read of success stories on tinnitustalk.com

HI , I have battled depression for most of my adult life and I am teetering on 57yo. In retrospect, I am quite sure that the very same afflicted me as a child, but this wal way before Prozac. I may not can give any 'really WISE' words of comfort but I can tell you a little of my story in hopes that it may help somewhat. I have been in pain since I was around 12 yo, but doctors would just call it growing pains. As an adult, it was labeled either "chronic fatigue syndrom' or fibromyalgia. These are just catch all words to cover fwhat they dont know. I have definitely taken my share of hydros, tramadols, tylenol #3, #4, cough syrup, all of the SSRI's. I am in a hole and that means that I am not eligible for any type of government health care and I cant afford to pay out of pocket. So, I never go to the doctor at all and try to manage my pain and depression illegally. Through the course of my life to this point, I have found 1 thing that makes me feel better and that is volunteering. Take the opioids for depression if you have to and pleasse do not feel guilty about it because you are the only one that has to live in your body. Take your hydros and do some volunteer work. I guarantee you that it will help in some way. Please, give it a try before ending your precious life.
I've tried it a few times and it didn't work for me. The only med I've taken that took me from the bottom to near normal was Depakote and it shocking how well it worked. After being on it for a couple of months thinking maybe I finally had an answer, I developed SJS and that was that.

I've started a few threads already. I'm starting this one to introduce myself, which I didn't do before.

I take hydrocodone for back pain. I get 60 tablets each month. (What I get is called Vicodin - hydrocodone and acetaminophen - 10/325.) That's my only supply. It's prescribed legally. Much of the time, my back pain isn't a big issue. Often, the real reason I keep taking these pills is to feel better mentally. I suffer from depression. I've been to shrinks about it and tried all kinds of psych meds. Nothing they prescibe does much. I function okay.

It seems like my life revolves around these pills. Basically, I take one every twelve hours. I'm obsessed with these pills. I count the hours until I can take another one. Sometimes, when the depression is bad, I don't wait the twelve hours. If I run out of pills before the month is up, I pay a price. If I go 36 hours without a pill, I start to have withdrawal. For me that is "restless leg syndrome." I would call it akathisia because it is round the clock. It's torture, so I mostly space out my pills to last the whole month.
At times, I think of suicide to escape the depression. I feel like these tablets are the best thing I have going for me. Yesterday, I took two tablets at the same time because I was having a miserable time with severe depression. That 20 mg of hydrocodone was like getting a glass of water in the desert. It helped a lot.

I wonder if anyone else here finds that using an opioid relieves depression. I don't discuss this with any doctor. I figure that would be the fastest way to lose this prescription that I value so much.

I always have to fight the temptation to use up my tablets ahead of schedule because I don't want to face withdrawal.

I'm trying to find a way to feel better without using up my tablets too soon. I'm thinking of trying edible cannabis. I don't find alcohol helpful, so I'm not much of a drinker.

I only have second hand information to offer about this. A really good friend of mine has been taking small doses of oxy for years now for anxiety and depression. Their depression is so treatment resistant that they get weekly ketamine infusions at the hospital. They have informed me that after years of so many different kinds of therapies, opioids are the only substances that truly take the edge off of their anxiety and depression and allow them to be a thoughtful, productive person.

They stretched a very old and very large oxy supply for a long time. The prescription was originally given to them for back pain but they repurposed it for anxiety and depression. Now their supply is running out and they have no choice but to taper their dose. Now their mental health symptoms are returning and they aren't sure what to do. In their case, I truly believe that a lifetime supply of low dose opioids would probably keep them mentally well.

The caveat is of course that you maintain the same dose always and never increase. Once you start increasing you are going to get into abuse territory and you risk causing more problems than you can solve.

In my own experience of opioid use for severe physical pain, I really enjoyed the person I was while I was on them. I actually did not like the euphoric signature of opioids, it was a kind of high that made me feel uncomfortable. However, once the initial high wore off, I really enjoyed the sense of peace that they created in my mind and body. I can see why some people would use them for mental health purposes.

I've used other official mental health drugs over the course of my life. Anxiolytics, SSRIs, etc. My experience of them and my opinion of them is that they are mostly garbage. They are good for short-term rescue only. The long-term effects are worse than the disease they try to treat. I can't make that claim for everyone, but for myself that is the honest truth. So if we're going to argue about which drugs are better or worse, I think that's going to be subjective. I don't see how low dose opioids can be any worse than some of the pharma crap on the market, especially benzos.

I only have second hand information to offer about this. A really good friend of mine has been taking small doses of oxy for years now for anxiety and depression. Their depression is so treatment resistant that they get weekly ketamine infusions at the hospital. They have informed me that after years of so many different kinds of therapies, opioids are the only substances that truly take the edge off of their anxiety and depression and allow them to be a thoughtful, productive person.

They stretched a very old and very large oxy supply for a long time. The prescription was originally given to them for back pain but they repurposed it for anxiety and depression. Now their supply is running out and they have no choice but to taper their dose. Now their mental health symptoms are returning and they aren't sure what to do. In their case, I truly believe that a lifetime supply of low dose opioids would probably keep them mentally well.

The caveat is of course that you maintain the same dose always and never increase. Once you start increasing you are going to get into abuse territory and you risk causing more problems than you can solve.

In my own experience of opioid use for severe physical pain, I really enjoyed the person I was while I was on them. I actually did not like the euphoric signature of opioids, it was a kind of high that made me feel uncomfortable. However, once the initial high wore off, I really enjoyed the sense of peace that they created in my mind and body. I can see why some people would use them for mental health purposes.

I've used other official mental health drugs over the course of my life. Anxiolytics, SSRIs, etc. My experience of them and my opinion of them is that they are mostly garbage. They are good for short-term rescue only. The long-term effects are worse than the disease they try to treat. I can't make that claim for everyone, but for myself that is the honest truth. So if we're going to argue about which drugs are better or worse, I think that's going to be subjective. I don't see how low dose opioids can be any worse than some of the pharma crap on the market, especially benzos.

Your last point rings very true to me. I got put on a lot of different psychotropics over the years. Most of them did next to nothing. Some come with baggage that is really disturbing. I was put on Librium, which is a benzo. For awhile it seemed great for helping me fall asleep and somewhat helpful for anxiety. After a few years, it wasn't doing anything. But I was so habituated that I got withdrawal when I'ld stop taking it - restless leg syndrome. All I took was 20 mg once every eve. I had to taper down gradually to get off it, which I did years ago.

Thanks for the feedback about your friend. I can sympathize with that scenario. Doctors are under pressure from the feds to be slower to prescribe opioids. They do have to worry about being investigated, if one of their patients winds up in the hospital after taking too many too close together. Like your friend, I was diagnosed as treatment resistant and offered electro-convulsive therapy. I declined that. Maybe I should look into Ketamine infusions.

While it's hard to get opioids, anti-psychotics - also called "mood stabilizers - are readily prescribed to treat depression of any kind. These drugs are sedating enough to be dangerous. I can't imagine that any benefit from them is worth getting tardive dyskinesia or Parkinson's. Also, I think they suppress dopamine, if I understand them rightly. I wouldn't think that's good for depression.

I think a low dose opioid has been, and continues to be, helpful to me - mentally, as well as physically. But not as good as it used to be. That is the problem. You become tolerant and then need more.

I asked to go back on a benzo. I was told that I could not get both an opioid and a benzo. They said I had to pick one of the two. This was back when I was getting Restoril for sleep. So I chose to give up the Restoril. I have a serious, longstanding sleep disorder, along with the chronic depression.

Doctors don't seem to get how difficult it is living with these conditions. When I show up for an appointment, I look clean and neat and well-nourished. I'm usually calm at the doctor's office. I sound coherent and organized. So, as far as they're concerned, I'm basically alright. But I'm far from alright.

The last few days, I've been much improved mentally. I don't have much hope of it lasting. The roller coaster ride has these peaceful lulls that come along. They don't last.

When i was 22 years old i've got PTSD which i didn't even know about it, just knew something is wrong with me and my drug of choice to deal with that and be functional was tramadol, one of my worst decisions ever.
Was the Tramadol prescribed for you, or you got it elsewhere? If you regret using it, then I take that to mean you got addicted. Is Tramadol strong stuff? Hard to get off of?

I hope you've found some way to better manage your PTSD.

It was days when i was manufacturing prescriptions that worked in pharmacies ;) so it was self medicating. I was selling it on streets to have enough for myself. Now I'm good, clean from them for a long time but my 20's were tragedy, lost best times of my life to this shit.

I got my refill of Vicodin today. I want to dive into it and slam down enough tablets to ease this depression. Past few days have been bad.

I've tried adding kraton, THC, beer and margaritas. Not helping much.

I wish I could believe that I could get legitimate help that would make a difference. I hate going through this all alone. I had years of doctors throwing all kinds of pills at me. Mostly they were useless. I've got one med that helps a little.

So, a little while ago, I took 2 Vicodin tablets. (I'm only supposed to take one.) The stuff is starting to kick in. If I could just get enough relief to be able to hope that I will get through this.

I can put up with an episode of depression. I've been doing that for years. Episodes come and they go. What's awful is the fear that I won't get better and stay better for a decent length of time. I've had too many episodes recently that came too close together. I feel like, if this keeps up, any escape is better than staying trapped in this.

I don't usually get this despairing. I need to talk to someone who understands what depression is. Just to have someone believe me.
Hey how you been feeling lately? Like a favorite friend always used to tell me, "I've got to get better before I can help myself get better." Hope you've been taking the kratom. Maybe when you're having an episode you can dose with kratom in place of the Vicodin for a day. Like someone else said, possibly look into other treatments like suboxone (methadone probably too much for your circumstance). I would also agree that your situation does not sound sustainable either reminding me of my own path into my current heroin addiction.

Hey how you been feeling lately? Like a favorite friend always used to tell me, "I've got to get better before I can help myself get better." Hope you've been taking the kratom. Maybe when you're having an episode you can dose with kratom in place of the Vicodin for a day. Like someone else said, possibly look into other treatments like suboxone (methadone probably too much for your circumstance). I would also agree that your situation does not sound sustainable either reminding me of my own path into my current heroin addiction.
Thanks for asking. I came out of that deep pit I was in. What a relief. Even Suboxone would be overkill. I'll keep taking my 10 mg of hydrocodone every 12 hours. I hardly feel it anymore because I'm tolerant after years of taking this same dose every day. But it does relax my back just enough to still be worth while. Helps me a little to sleep. If I traveled in circles where I had access to an illegal supply, I might go off the deep end, but my use is strictly prescription from one primary care provider. She won't give me more.

I will see what this Kratom can do for me. I'm going to stay off the THC (edibles) because I guess it will show up in my urine tox screen that they do on me every few months. Now that cannabis is legal, maybe I could use it, without my PCP having a problem. I'm afraid to even ask her. From what I've heard and read, Kratom doesn't show up in those pee tests. Next depressive episode, I'll give it a real go. One's always around the corner.

I totally can see how opioid addiction takes over people's lives. I just love the stuff myself. Someday, when I'm dying, if that gets me access to more dope, it'll be a silver lining to that cloud. I've known people who were given morphine after surgery or for cancer pain, who did not like it at all. It clearly caused them distress. They said they'd rather put up with the pain. I guess people vary a lot in how they are affected.

The most dramatic, quick relief from depression that I ever experienced was when I took Ritalin and hydrocodone together. It was a short term fix, but it was a real amazing, quick relief.

I am in awe of how anyone seriously involved with heroin can ever turn that around. I listen with great respect to whatever is told to me by those of you who've gone through that.

I'm prescribed 80mg OxyContin (well, generic UK version) and I actively do not want more. I had to trick my own doctor into giving it me [TID] because (get this) BMA guidelines strictly limit doctors to the point where several told me it was ILLEGAL for them to give the same daily does [TID[.

But I went to a consultant and asked and he was 100% happy to allow [TID] administration. He simply said 'it's the same dose so whatever works best for you' which seems to suggest the doctors downright lie.

Oh and we don't have the 160s but we do have 120s... and the BNF notes 'some patients may require more than 400mg/day. Sooo..... are some wretched people taking 240mg in one go? Seems like a death-trap to me.

I can tell you with absolute certainty, that after shooting dope for more than 18 years...it was more for mental relief than the 15 second beautiful rush that I got and still fantasize about. Better antidepressant than the antidepressants I am currently prescribed.
If it works, it works. If it works to objectively relieve suffering it should not be condemned.

I was self-medicating with opiates for almost 3 years before it became unsustainable. I tried four different antidepressants of which none worked. I was eventually prescribed suboxone at an outpatient drug treatment program. In my case, it is the perfect antidepressant. I take 2mg/day split dose and I have no negative side effects.
You can get a prescription completely online in the US from a few different websites.

The key things Suboxone does to treat my depression and opiate use disorder:

- Provides a lightness of being and ease of movement
- Sustained energy and mood
- Eliminates withdrawal symptoms (make sure you are in complete withdrawal from your drug of choice before starting)
- Eliminates opiate cravings
- Stabilizes dosing (no need to keep raising dose like full agonists)

I'm prescribed 80mg OxyContin (well, generic UK version) and I actively do not want more. I had to trick my own doctor into giving it me [TID] because (get this) BMA guidelines strictly limit doctors to the point where several told me it was ILLEGAL for them to give the same daily does [TID[.

But I went to a consultant and asked and he was 100% happy to allow [TID] administration. He simply said 'it's the same dose so whatever works best for you' which seems to suggest the doctors downright lie.

Oh and we don't have the 160s but we do have 120s... and the BNF notes 'some patients may require more than 400mg/day. Sooo..... are some wretched people taking 240mg in one go? Seems like a death-trap to me.
This is kinda out there, but I always wondered how an elephant tranq like carfentanyl would work after getting tolerance way up. Like how does the euphoria compare to regular fetty and H?

In certain cities in Canada, carfentanil is on the streets. Fentanyl is x80 morphine, carfentanil is x10000 morphine in potency, I've known chemists who broke rule 1 when producing fentanyl. Of the 5 I knew, 2 are dead (suicide), one in in jail, one was still suffering acute withdrawals after 3 years, one recovered.

Two of them I know were using over a gram of pure fentanyl a day, the two dead ones were on bail so even with methadone would have a hellish journey and so took the easy way out. The one in jail is, and I quote 'not doing too well.

Frankly, I think when you reach a certain level of tolerance, the body never recovers. Read about 'Thomas K. Highsmith' an ex Morton-Thiokol chemist. He was making etonitazene (x1500 morphine) and colleagues noted he was using a nasal inhaler every 15-20 minutes but he was caught after asking the janitor if he had a 'connect' (the janitor was a black guy). He was bailed and hung himself the same day.

So with carfentanil, I think it's a one way street. It's popular because the flash (opioid equivalent of rush) is bigger and it lasts for twice as long.

Someone found a paper on the Ugi reaction so cerfentanil is now only slightly harder to make than fentanyl. Grisham's law operates VERY fast in the drug world so everyone will switch to making it.

Just imagine the 'fentanyl epidemic' but x100 worse.

I stumbled on a novel (read legal) opioid that is some x40000 morphine... but I decided to burn my notes. I consider such things to be chemical weapons, not drugs.

I was self-medicating with opiates for almost 3 years before it became unsustainable. I tried four different antidepressants of which none worked. I was eventually prescribed suboxone at an outpatient drug treatment program. In my case, it is the perfect antidepressant. I take 2mg/day split dose and I have no negative side effects.
You can get a prescription completely online in the US from a few different websites.

The key things Suboxone does to treat my depression and opiate use disorder:

- Provides a lightness of being and ease of movement
- Sustained energy and mood
- Eliminates withdrawal symptoms (make sure you are in complete withdrawal from your drug of choice before starting)
- Eliminates opiate cravings
- Stabilizes dosing (no need to keep raising dose like full agonists)
That's interesting. I didn't know Suboxone could be that uplifting. (I thought it was like methadone.). That's really great that you've been able to get off the dope pills and actually found something you feel good on. I wonder if many others have had your experience.

That's interesting. I didn't know Suboxone could be that uplifting. (I thought it was like methadone.). That's really great that you've been able to get off the dope pills and actually found something you feel good on. I wonder if many others have had your experience.
Lots of people hate suboxone.

From all I could ever observe, drug interactions for any given person are highly individual. There's absolutely NO way to say categorically, 'oh yes X will totally do Y'. That's just simply not how the human body works.

I first started my serious opioid journey in high-school by being "involuntarily ejected" from a vehicle during a high-speed rollover car crash on the highway. Car flipped 4 times, I got thrown through the passenger's window on the 3rd role. They doped me up GOOD for the 10 days I was hospitalized (broken shoulder, head injury and concussion, whiplash injuries, and MANY "safety" glass lacerations across my face and chest). I was honestly quite lucky to not have any brain damage or injuries which wouldn't heal. I was on hydrocodone for about a month after discharge during recovery (probably on either Hydromorphone or Morphine while inpatient, my memory of the stay is VERY hazy).

I then got my wisdom teeth out a few years later, in 2 session. If the car wreck painkillers cocked my trigger, this pulled it. I quickly went from being correctly prescribed hydrocodone, to purposely exacerbating a mild lung infection to get "Hydrocodone" cough syrup and mixing that syrup directly into pino grigeo wine. Spent years playing w/ every opioid I could get my hands on and gaming pain doctor's into prescribing me drugs I didn't actually need. It didn't help that I was literally studying/interning to be a pharmacist and knew EXACTLY what Dr's wrote the best opioid RXs in my area. I got big into snorting subutex after sampling everything else, mostly because Bupe isn't as tightly regulated or watched in the US and I didn't want to make it too obvious when I helped myself to clinical drugs occasionally. Eventually I DID get arrested for diverting multiple 500mg bottles of Ketamine after many years in this feild.

I had to quit basically ALL my prescribed drugs after being in jail and entering a court ordered diversion program. I lost my license to practice and my state's board of pharmacy was absolutely NOT sympathetic. I was drug tested and generally (mostly) clean for YEARS. Plus, I was forced to attend NA which varies heavily from group to group. Some are ultra religious like a cult while other's are a bit more chill. I eventually relapsed, first snorting subutex again, then quickly graduated to H for a couple years.

Eventually I got help from a suboxone clinic, something I had seriously avoided previously since seeking any drug treatment looks REALLY bad as a pharmacist. I was on that for awhile and noticed that, even though it no longer has any psychoactive effect whatsoever, it definitely helps my underlying depression and anxiety.

I've been on the same 8mg suboxone dose for 7 years now, mostly just as a mood stabilizer. My primary care dr, who writes that script, is fine with it indefinitely. As is my psych who finally got me back on my adderall after years without it (at a reasonable dose). Coming off ativan was honestly worse than any opioid though. I HAVE also developed mild functional alcoholism in the past few years, usually 1 large mixed drink QPM, as a result of recent PTSD (survived a mass shooting/standoff as a "hostage" and then shot a mugger in the same year). But the Suboxone as a mood-stabilizer/anti-depressants thing is absolutely valid. There were studies many decades ago about methadone's use as an anti-depressant. My experiences with methadone were less than satisfactory, IME. But yeah, opioid maintenance drugs work pretty well for depression, definitely better than the questionable clinical results for SSRIs.

Last edited: