• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

If you accept a partial script of your medication do you forfeit the rest?

shpongle1987

Bluelighter
I was told by my pharmacist when i went in to get my dexedrine and she told me that she only had 72 dexedrine left. Now of course i said well ok give me the 72 but then another pharm in the back jumped in the convo and said "you will forfeit the rest because it is a narcotic". So pretty much over all i had to get my doctor to call them to confirm that I need more and its a "legit" script but my MAIN question is will i be able to go in and get the rest of my medication as soon as my doctor approves it or am i going to have to wait 18days until the amount that i already got runs out. Any one with any info or with any experience with the same thing please let me know. Im very grateful for any feed back. P.S. Once again the main question is once my doc gives the go ahead to the pharmacist will i be able to pick up my medication immediately? (sorry a lot of people stray from the question at hand) Thanks again!

I know that dexedrine is a CII, which by DEA schedule standards is barely legal. I do know that there are no refills. In other words, your doctor has to write a new hard copy for you every time. But I don't know if there is a legal limit to the number of days supply you can have. I know for sure there is a limit on that if you have insurance that's covering it for you. The insurance probably won't cover the remainder. It never hurts to ask.

It's really not their call to give you more drugs on top of what has already been given.
72 dexedrine is quite a bit, and dexedrine is probably about the second most potent ADD medication.

I believe the pharmacy calling dexedrine a "narcotic" is loose and uninformative.

I may have misinterpreted what I was saying, my doc. prescribes me #120 dexedrine a month and when I went to the pharm they only had 72 pills in stock...as in they had to order more becasue they didnt have any more in the store. So the pharm asked me if i wanted to take the 72 pills they had rite then and i said yes seeing i was out of my script but as i said yes another pharmacist said if I take the 72 now then i forfeit the rest of the dexedrine due to it being a scheduled two unless i contact my doctor and let him know the situation. So let me rephrase...im not trying to get more dexedrine that isnt scripted to me, im trying to get my legally prescribed dxedrine but the pharmacy didnt have enough pills to fill the full #120. SO MY MAIN QUESTION IS...if my doc contacts the pharm and lets the pharm know everything's cool and I legally take them blah blah blah.... WILL I BE ABLE TO ACQUIRE MY OTHER PILLS THAT ARE OWED TO ME OR WILL I HAVE TO WAIT 18DAYS UNTIL I USE UP ALL MY OTHER DEX AS PRESCRIBED.....personally i dont think its rite to deny some one a full prescription even tho it was legally given to them regardless if they need to order the pills or not.

i think the pharmacist is trying to stand over you on a power trip or some bullshit. if you're prescribed 120 pills you should get 120 pills in the end even if they are short and regardless of any of the other shit they're spewing to you. they should supply you with the rest when the stock arrives. you can alternatively pick up from another pharmacy.

i have gone into get my morphine script and on a few occasions they have been 8 pill short or so. they've always given me the option of taking what they've got then and there, picking up the rest when the stock delivery truck has arrived. or simply waiting for the truck to arrive later that day or the next. or telling me to visit their other pharmacy which has the stock.

either way check with your doctor as well as into the legalities of the issue at hand so you have your back covered either way.

Yes. They always tell me this.

In new york state this is the case.

They could be lying, wouldn't surprise me either.

i think the pharmacist is trying to stand over you on a power trip or some bullshit. if you're prescribed 120 pills you should get 120 pills in the end even if they are short and regardless of any of the other shit they're spewing to you. they should supply you with the rest when the stock arrives. you can alternatively pick up from another pharmacy.

i have gone into get my morphine script and on a few occasions they have been 8 pill short or so. they've always given me the option of taking what they've got then and there, picking up the rest when the stock delivery truck has arrived. or simply waiting for the truck to arrive later that day or the next. or telling me to visit their other pharmacy which has the stock.

either way check with your doctor as well as into the legalities of the issue at hand so you have your back covered either way.

This is how it works here. If they don't have enough stock, then they should dispense what they have and print out " balance to follow " on your copy of the script (which in itself is legally binding).

Just my 2 cents.

^This. (What tentram said).

You are legally entitled to your entire prescription. A better approach would be to get your prescription from a pharmacy that has enough pills in stock to completely fill your prescription at one time (thus avoiding the issues with getting more C-II drugs ahead of the "refill date", etc).

You should be able to collect the rest of your prescription if you only partly collected it. I do this sometimes as my prescriptions are very expensive therefore I collect them half at a time. I usually get a receipt saying I'm owed X amount of the drugs - and am scribed dexedrine, zolpidem, lyrica and buspar.

regardless if they tell you this or not, it simply isnt true. they cant withold meds from you because they arent in stock.

if a pharmacist told me this i would be livid.

I have some experience with this in NY so I will chime in.

I believe that with controlled substances they can only give you the partial amount if they can guarantee the rest will be there within 72 hours, and if they can't then you will have to forfeit the rest if you accept the partial script.

I have gotten half my Dexedrine prescription one day and half the next once, because they had the rest coming in the following day and it was already confirmed that it would be there. Another time though they weren't getting the shipment in for four days or so, and I was told that if I took what they had in stock that I would forfeit the rest since they couldn't guarantee that the rest would be there in the next 72 hours.

When I got half one day and half the next it was in a small 'mom & pop' pharmacy, and the time I was told I could only get what they had in stock it was at a major chain pharmacy, so maybe that played a role.

It's not that they are withholding your meds from you, since they are telling you up front that they can't do it, and they will let you go elsewhere with your script. When they run your script through the computer it's as if they are giving you the full amount, so they don't want to have to worry about problems with inventory if they have to give you the rest of the controlled substance a week later since that would be hard to keep track of. At least that's why I think they would only do a partial script if they are getting the rest shortly, and considering how busy chain pharmacies are that's probably why they are less willing to give you part of it one day and the rest at a later date.

so you took the 72 anyways n then came to ask or you took your script back n asked first?

its sounds like you took the 72 they had on hand n then wanted to deal with it later, if you're kool with your doctor and he trusts you and will write you a script for 48 dexedrine then its not big deal fill the script as soon as he gies it to you, after all you get 120 at a time, so whats the big deal with getting 72 one day n 48 at your next possible convenience

but having said that in hindsight and if that was me i woulda taken my script from them right then n there n went down the steet to a different pharmacy. i mean your location is NY so i assume your in NYC or some other decent sized city with pharmacies on every corner, but even if i had to drive to the next town i would call around n then make a drive for 48 pills, its not like you were 5 short, 48 is over a third of your script

anyways hope all works out man, let us know how it played out

if some pharmacist told me i could fill half my script but would forfiet the rest simply because they wont have them in stock for 72 hours i would spit in his fucking face.

i dont think thats even correct....as in im quite positive they are not permitted to do that by law or whatever. maybe im wrong, i would love to see something in writing to prove that they can, in fact, do this.

^^ like tommy n the other NY'er said it might be a state by state thing

but im with you, if the Dr. says i need 120 then to hell with your inventory im gettin 120 one way or another

they can by law make you forfeit the rest of the script if they want to of course they have to tell you ahead of time so that you can try somewhere else if you are not too lazy
occassionally they will be cool about it... usually only if you are a regular ... its a lot of extra work for them they gotta rewrite it and stuff

In Michigan anything like dexadrine,adderall vicodin, oxycontin etc.,they tell you that you will forfeit the pills they don't have. I ask them politely to call another store and 99% of the time they do and I go to the store that has them. This happenes quite a bit and I use one chain pharmacy for anything I get.

I'm going back a few years but it happened a few times, the pharmacy didn't have enough to cover my oxy script. They would write the amount on the bottle and circle it to indicate the shortage and handwrite it on the receipt. I never had a problem getting the rest when promised. But I imagine things may have changed especially in Florida.

if some pharmacist told me i could fill half my script but would forfiet the rest simply because they wont have them in stock for 72 hours i would spit in his fucking face.

i dont think thats even correct....as in im quite positive they are not permitted to do that by law or whatever. maybe im wrong, i would love to see something in writing to prove that they can, in fact, do this.

Why spit in their face when you can just take your prescription elsewhere to be filled? It's not like they may run out when filling your script and tell you that you are out of luck with getting the rest. They tell you all of this up front and give you the option of filling the partial amount or going elsewhere, or leaving the prescription with them so they can order the rest for you and fill it all up at once upon arrival.

Here are my thoughts on it. When they run the prescription through the system to be filled they have to put down the full amount (this is for charging your insurance). If they don't have the full amount and are willing to do a partial prescription for you to fill the rest later they have to write down the amount they owe you on a piece of paper or something since they run the full amount through the system when they type the info in.
Edit: It says that they write down the amount on the prescription and sign it.

Now if they allowed for people to get the partial amount until the rest comes in, it could get very messy having a bunch of vouchers being written out for the remaining amount. When you come back for the full amount it's not like they can then go back in the computer and put in that you got the rest since they already put in the prescription for the full amount. When I was given partial amounts they wrote on the prescription bottle and on the paper that comes with it "70 filled, owe 20" (those quantities are just an example), and I showed that to them when I came back for the rest.

So when it comes down to it I think that a lot of pharmacies don't want to have to deal with allowing people to get the rest at a later date since it would be too hard to keep track of, and they really can't risk having controlled substances going unaccounted for. Also if the person doesn't come back for the remainder of the script in the next few days then what? The inventory could get screwed up and it could cause problems when they need to order more.

That's why I think that busy chain pharmacies seem to be the ones that don't allow this, but some slower "Mom & Pop" pharmacies do, since they may just have a couple of pharmacists on staff who could remember you and where they wrote down the remaining amount. Also people may claim to have not gotten the remaining pills that they are owed when they in fact have, which can cause problems in a busy pharmacy that has a bunch of different pharmacists on staff.

I just found something that verifies what I was saying about partial scripts in NYS.

(l) A pharmacist may partially fill an official New York State prescription for a schedule II controlled substance or those schedule III or schedule IV controlled substances listed in section 80.67(a) of this Part provided that:

(1) the pharmacist does not have a sufficient quantity to fill an emergency oral or official prescription and he/she makes a notation of the quantity supplied on the prescription (or written record of the emergency oral prescription). The remaining portion of the prescription may be filled within 72 hours of the first partial filling. However, if the remaining portion is not or cannot be filled with the 72-hour period, the pharmacist shall so notify the prescribing practitioner. No further quantity may be supplied beyond 72 hours without a new prescription (source).

I found basically the same thing for the state of California.

Section 1745, of Title 16 of the CCR refers to the partial filling of Schedule II prescriptions when a pharmacist is unable to supply the full quantity ordered by the prescriber for patients who are NOT skilled nursing or terminally ill patients. If the pharmacy is unable to dispense the full quantity prescribed, a partial amount may be dispensed, and the remaining portion may be filled within 72 hours of the first partial filling. If the remaining portion is not filled within the 72-hour period, the remaining portion can NOT be dispensed, the prescriber must be notified, and a new prescription will be required (source).

So basically after 72 hours of it being partially filled the prescription is no longer valid. That's why they told me they couldn't fill the partial amount when they knew the shipment wasn't coming in for another 4 days. I think that although partial scripts can be filled (considering the remainder can be filled in the next 72 hours), certain pharmacies opt out of this stipulation since it's too much to risk if the person doesn't come in during those next 3 days or if there is a problem with the supply where it doesn't get there within those 3 days.

Last edited:
I'll add my .02

I'm in nj and there's been a few times where I didn't have enough cash to fill my sub script, they gave me what I could afford and I was able to come back when I could afford the rest. Sometimes I took as long as a week. If the pharmacy doesn't do that then I would go to a dif pharm bc they don't deserve my business