• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Ideal Level of Alcohol Intoxication?

Frog Dreams

Bluelighter
How many standard drinks is best for you? AND/OR: what percent BAC (blood alcohol content)?

For me, I think it's around 1.5 Australian standard drinks per hour... and/or five maximum for the day.

This ensures I stay below 0.1%.

Drinking less is better. It has taken me twenty five years to realize this.

Having the "correct" number of standard drinks (for you) fixes drinking.

So, what is that sweet spot?

Is there a standard (more or less)?

Do some people actually like drinking twenty - plus - standard drinks a day? (For me, I do like doing that but the nightmare outweighs the reward.)

I'm just about perfect, at the moment. About five standard drinks in. Need to go and drive and pick up my daughter from primary school. I've also been smoking joints. Not the ideal situation to drive down through school traffic, but it is what it is. I could land a plane on a bee's dick.

I try to get around 2.5% BAC as quickly as possible and then slow down to maintain that level. However, if I don't have any tolerance I'm probably aiming for 1.5%-1.8%. Once you become dependent you need increasingly absurd BAC to get drunk.

That usually means I chug 8 beers as quickly as possible, usually within 30 minutes, and then slow down to about 1-2 beers per hour after that. Depends a lot on the ABV of the beers, obviously.

I'm an alcoholic, though. I cannot stop myself from drinking that much. I was up to 22 beers per day during the peak of my use.

Less is more when it comes to alcohol, for sure. Zero would be best. Horrible chemical.

2.5% you'd be dead.

I'm an "alcoholic"... or I was one. Is it a permanent condition?

Drinking like you used to drink is awful. But so is smoking ten grams of high strain weed in a single joint.

There is a reasonable level of consumption with alcohol and sugar and everything, I think.

Yeah .25% is still manageable for a true drunk. Taking a week off then getting to that level is likely disaster in some kind of way

0.25% isn't that bad.

That's drinking a bottle of whiskey in 10 hours.
Same as 15 beers. So, 1.5 beers per hour, for 10 hours.

I used to drink a bottle of whiskey, straight, while walking home.

Still: 2.5% is death.

Snafu jumped a decimal place.

I was nearly dead somewhere between 0.4% and 0.5%.

2.5% you'd be dead.

star wars skywalker GIF

lol yeah, typo, .25%

If im actually drinking i like having a decent buzz going so like 10 or 12 drinks. However much is in a 750ml bottle realy
17.6 approximately if using 80 proof at 1 drink per 1.5 ounces(Besides cheap beer; I loved vodka, comrade. 15 drinks in 10 hours is only 5 drinks, depends on weight what BAL is. That is still bad for your liver. If he drinks often, that is nothing.( law enforcement might disagree) some say 1.25 Oz is drink of 80 proof. Some say1 Oz, 100 proof= 1 drink

0.25% isn't that bad.

That's drinking a bottle of whiskey in 10 hours.
Same as 15 beers. So, 1.5 beers per hour, for 10 hours.

I used to drink a bottle of whiskey, straight, while walking home.

Still: 2.5% is death.

Snafu jumped a decimal place.

I was nearly dead somewhere between 0.4% and 0.5%.
I use to amaze the ER Staff, I would have a BAL just below. .4 and I was still walking and talking. .25 is more than 3x the limit in America to drive. .08% you are legally too drunk to drive.

I used to abuse alcohol, bad. Got Cirrhosis of liver just before I turned 40. Just admit it froggy, you have a drinking problem, or why else would your drinking be, an issue of concern brought up by you often?

Where not here to judge, so why don't you share with the group? Ow I was expecting better.

Last edited:
And dude, doctors in psych wards routinely get cases of alcoholics speaking with 4, 5, 6‰
There was pretty small girl I talked with who was measured 5.something. Well she was fucked up strong but she stayed alive and fine. Tolerance to poisons is an art in it self. I myself am artist of that sort too lol. Not with ethanol tho. I do my best to not be that artist most of the time lol

Edit: Not routinely but it does happen. Many survivors of normally lethal doses. Hell, many busted driving with well over normal lethal ‰
But people really drink a lot around here so maybe it's not that common elsewhere.

I sincerely think you guys are skipping a decimal place... or at least what you're describing is EXTREMELY rare.

Not necessarily. I've gone slightly over that myself (after chugging about a litre of vodka as an underweight teenager)

The math doesn't work out there. You'd have to drink multiple litres of vodka to get to that BAC level regardless of whether or not you're underweight.

I sincerely think you guys are skipping a decimal place... or at least what you're describing is EXTREMELY rare.

The math doesn't work out there. You'd have to drink multiple litres of vodka to get to that BAC level regardless of whether or not you're underweight.
No but you need glasses, not % but ‰.
Legal limit from driving tends to be 0.5‰ and 3.5‰ can kill. Some people build up tolerance to a lot higher doses.

Okay, my bad.
I do need glasses.

@HumanityIsTheDevil

Your comment about being 2.5% is still wrong.

You said the world record is 7.5%. I don't think that's possible, unless the person has some weird disorder that allows them to process alcohol differently than normal humans.

Oh, okay, I get you... I misread ‰ as % and you misread % as ‰.

I've honestly never heard of ‰ before outside of university maths class. It's as commonly used as the decimetre in Australia. But, hey, we use the metric system rather than measuring things in feet / hands / carrots.

I measured at 0.4% when I was a teenager. Had my stomach pumped. One of the first times I ever drank alcohol.

Honestly I'm surprised you didn't test higher if you were an underweight teenager and you drank a litre of vodka.