Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Ibogaine Treatment

JeanJM

Bluelighter
So I found a place in my area where they do Ibogaine Treatment. Anyone tried it or know of anyone who's tried it?

Ibogaine
Ibogaine alleviates physical withdrawal symptoms of opiate detox by attaching to the body’s opiate receptor sites. It functions in a similar way to treatments that block or take residence in these receptor sites. However, unlike methadone or suboxone which can lead to chemical dependency, ibogaine is non-addictive and needs not be taken on a continuing basis. Ibogaine treats other chemical dependencies by cleansing the body of the drug and resetting the brain’s neuro-chemistry.

After ingestion, ibogaine stores up in the fat cells of the body and is slowly released and converted by the liver into nor-ibogaine. Nor-ibogaine helps with any further withdrawal symptoms or cravings for two to six months. It has a documented anti-depressant effect that establishes a state of well-being, free from negative thought patterns.

Many users of ibogaine report experiencing visual phenomena during a waking dream state, such as instructive replays of life events that led to their addiction, while others report therapeutic shamanic visions that help them conquer the fears and negative emotions that might drive their addiction.

Sounds like fun

I heard that this was a miracle "cure", so to speak, for opiate withdrawal management. Although the medical system in general doesn't seem to condone its use in terms of opiate withdrawal treatment, so I'm skeptical as to how effective it is or how negative its side-effects are. Judging from what you have said, however, it seems that the "waking dream state" is enough to put Doctors away from considering this type of treatment, which doesn't surprise me. I would search google for more information (Erowid?) and maybe even use the search engine on this site, but I can't help you there seeing as how I haven't heard much about Ibogaine. Sorry.

This is a very complicated and controversial subject, not without its merits but equally not without enormous risks.

There are many articles on Bluelight already dealing with this issue, as well as many documented "journeys" on the web from both those who appreciate and advocate its use, to the complete opposite who say it's a scam - not to mention the fact that it can be lethal if you have a heart condition and there's no medical treatment readily available.

I'd say to research this a lot before even considering considering this as an option.

This is a very complicated and controversial subject, not without its merits but equally not without enormous risks.

There are many articles on Bluelight already dealing with this issue, as well as many documented "journeys" on the web from both those who appreciate and advocate its use, to the complete opposite who say it's a scam - not to mention the fact that it can be lethal if you have a heart condition and there's no medical treatment readily available.

I'd say to research this a lot before even considering considering this as an option.

Does it actual ward off the symptoms of withdrawal medically speaking or does it just send you on a trip so hard that you preoccupy yourself with that curious cat sitting on the lounge-chair more than the pain of withdrawal?

I can't answer that - but I've read stories of both. I know people who have gone through it, and they say it worked for them, however they have since relapsed and are no better off. Their stories changed tunes a little too once they realised I was still too skeptical to go along with it without a thought, and a lot more of the details, which scare the shit out of me, were brought to my attention.

The iboga plant in my opinion definitely has a medical use and I hope it is thoroughly studied some day as it has great promise.

Some people administering this powerful drug are doing so without any care to the patients well being, and because of that, you need to be extremely careful if you decide to use this drug.

From the little I have learned after a lot of reading, is there is a dose that can work well, a dose that won't work at all and a dose that will kill you, all not too far apart from each other. Because of its illegality and the fact it hasn't been studied properly, not many hospitals/doctors would know what to do if you were in dire need of medical attention - that is of course, if you could get to a hospital in time. A lot of these places, since they're illegal, are set up in jungles or far away from civilization - partly because of the legal reasons, partly because this has been used by shamans in ritualistic settings for a long, long time - and some try to emulate that.

Like I said, it's a very complicated subject which I don't claim to know everything about. I had a lot of interest in using it myself, until I learned a little more about the risks. Don't let that stop you from researching this wonderful plant/drug though.

While it definitely has its merits in helping cure different addictions, abling someone with a huge opioid habit come out the otherside in around 72 hours as compared to potentially weeks of hell of wd. It also doesnt come without its inherent and possibly deathly complications and no success of being a cure.

Its definitely not a treatment to be lightly and should be studied rather extensively before considerations; pros n cons, doctors and treatment centres, location, etc.

It does have a very niche place in recreational use as well.

Regardless if it works or not, I would not try it without medical supervision. The way most ibogaine treatments are conducted right now are in clinical settings with IV support. This is because the effects of the drug can be intense, and they tend to last for a day or more. In traditional iboga ceremonies, people often fast the day before and don't eat anything until the end of the ceremony, which in of itself can be 24-36 hours. It can be very depleting on the body.

Mind you, iboga (the whole plant) used as a psychedelic is apparently much different than the ibogaine extract. My perception is that ibogaine is better for the medical addiction and iboga is better for psychotherapy, so the two can be complementary.

I've done neither so my comments are more based on research and reading anecdotal reports.

Last edited:
Regardless if it works or not, I would not try it without medical supervision. The way most ibogaine treatments are conducted right now are in clinical settings with IV support. This is because the effects of the drug can be intense, and they tend to last for a day or more. In traditional iboga ceremonies, people often fast the day before and don't eat anything until the end of the ceremony, which in of itself can be 24-36 hours. It can be very depleting on the body.

Mind you, iboga (the whole plant) used as a psychedelic is apparently much different than the ibogaine extract. My perception is that ibogaine is better for the medical addiction and iboga is better for psychotherapy, so the two can be complementary.

I've done neither so my comments are more based on research and reading anecdotal reports.

Why have I never come across a trip report on this thing?

Hmmmmmmmmm I guess I could always try it and report back or even record my journey so other people can see what its all about. But there is just 1 big problem and that is it cost $6K O.O

Hmmmmmmmmm I guess I could always try it and report back or even record my journey so other people can see what its all about. But there is just 1 big problem and that is it cost $6K O.O

The drug iboga extract costs nothing like that. If you've found that figure, it's from somewhere that would be offering other services as well, how good they are I have no idea.

No prices on BL, but we're talking less than 1/10th of that for the actual extract.

That's the price this clinic gave me. Not just the drug but you stay there for 7 days, have counseling and learn all sorts of things. I just like to have options available in case for some reason my taper doesn't work out.

Sorry, can't say I've tried it, but I too have been interested in this treatment. In my case it would use it for alcohol dependance, depression and psychospiritual purposes. I searched a while and one of the most appealing places I found was in Costa Rica:

http://www.ibogahouse.com

My dad offered to pay for it, but then withdrew the offer when he read one bad review. That review was not very detailed, but it spoiled the possibility as I couldn't afford it. The price is around $5000 - $10,000 depending on whether you bunk with a roommate or which practitioner/Shaman is used. Airfare is not included. If anyone has been there I'm really interested in feedback, maybe I can chat with you via PM as well.

That's dumb he pulled the offer. I don't have $6K laying around and no way would I take it by myself. Wonder if I can find the drug myself and BYO to the clinic lol I bet they wouldn't allow that.

Is it really necessary to use Ibogaine treatment when you're down to 60mg of codeine? That's analgesic level. You could probably jump down entirely from that dose if you so wish.

Not necessary but if something was to happen and I don't know, started binging or something and my use skyrockets then I know I can try something else.

Ibogaine worked for me. I've been off opiates for just over 2 months. Yes, it took away virtually all withdrawal. I had a little break through withdrawal but was given more Ibogaine and it went away. The visions can be hard, they seem to touch the remorse button, but it also offers a lot of compassion and forgiveness as well. I've seen a really nasty, mean junkie turn in to a caring compassionate person. Regardless, if you open your eyes, a bad trip will stop. Ibogaine only claims to be an addiction interrupter. If you don't change the environment that leads to drugs and work some kind of recovery, you will fall back into old pathways. Temporarily, Ibogaine does reset the brain to a preaddicted state. But you must do the work to create and maintain healthy pathways away from addiction.

Ibogaine it self does not kill people, rather Ibogaine mixed with other substances will almost always kill you. That and a pre-existing heart condition. It is unadvisable to do it without supervision and with out first having ECG and liver function test. If you use opiates while on Ibogaine, you will die. Also, you would not be of the were with all to think to eat or drink while under the influence if this powerful medicine. You would possibly become dehydrated and die depending on your physical state before the journey.

Yes, ibogaine is very, very effective and if anyone has a heroin addiction they should go to Canada or wherever the ibogaine clinics are and take a dose of it. However, it would not be a good idea to take ibogaine in your house or with a couple of friends in the way that one might take LSD or Mushrooms. Ibogaine is a much different drug, much more like a longer lasting version of salvia or dmt which is why no matter how experienced you are with psychedelics, you ALWAYS NEED A SITTER. Without a sitter on ibogaine, you are very likely to end up going apeshit and doing something outrageous.