I just got cautioned for shoplifting. Now what happens?

Tialis

Bluelighter
I told the police woman who was booking me in that I'm a student (and gave the name of the university).

I didn't get a criminal record, but did get a formal police caution. Does this mean my university may find out? Can they expell me for this caution?

Will this caution hold me back in any way in the future? Will it stop me from taking holidays or living in America? Will it affect any of my career prospects (I still don't know what I want to do for sure)?

I am assuming that you are not from the US but here a citation is like a traffic ticket and will not come up on a standard background check.
You should be ok.

What if I eventually decide I want to be a policeman?! Will it ever be completely wiped off the police's records?

you might wawnt to be a pig? Are you a fucking troll or are you being serious...

Tialis said:
What if I eventually decide I want to be a policeman?! Will it ever be completely wiped off the police's records?

Some policemen have much worse things than a shoplifting caution on their records; don't sweat it.

Tialis said:

Nope, you're screwed. You shouldn't try to become a cop, because you won't be able to. No donuts for you.

Yes, you can still become a policeman if you have a shoplifting charge on your record. However, if you have ever been a regular drug user, you can forget about it.

http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/askthesiteqandas/legalandrightsqandas/concealingacaution

Question

I was a bit of an idiot and ended up with a formal adult caution after a run-in with the police. Will employers be able to check for this?

Answer

Formal cautions, reprimands and warnings are not criminal convictions and therefore are not covered, in England and Wales, by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. This means you don't have to disclose them to most future employers but you should answer honestly if you're asked, for example, in an interview if you've ever been in trouble with the police or have a record.

Since December 1995, records of formal cautions for recordable offences, that is, offences for which you could be imprisoned, are held on the Police National Computer (PNC). Guidance states that such records should be deleted after five years but they are not automatically deleted, it depends on the police force. If the caution were for a sexual offence then this would appear on the national sex offenders' register. If want to know if the caution is still on record you can find out by filling in a subject access form.

Certain jobs such as teaching or other positions where you may work with children or vulnerable adults will require a check with Criminal Records Bureau (CRB). There are two types of CRB checks: standard and enhanced. A standard check discloses spent convictions, unspent convictions, cautions and warnings and an enhanced check will also include other relevant information held locally by the police.

Therefore, whether your employer can check for it comes down to: who you are working for; the police force that gave you the caution and what offence the caution relates to. You don't have to declare it for standard employment but employers that run CRB checks will see it until the police decide to remove it.

A caution will not prohibit you from going to the States.

forgotten said:
However, if you have ever been a regular drug user, you can forget about it.

I have never been charged for drug-related offences, yet I did tell the police woman that was booking me that I was a drug-user. Will this definitely stop me from being able to be a police officer?

forgotten said:
Yes, you can still become a policeman if you have a shoplifting charge on your record. However, if you have ever been a regular drug user, you can forget about it.

Why? i am thinking i will minor in criminal justice in college and then maybe become a cop. But do they really care if u smoked weed when you were a teenager? And how would they know? I think that is bullshit but please let me know

Here is a good example of what police departments allow:
  • No marijuana use within 3 years of application. Marijuana use must not exceed 10 times.
  • No other illegal drug use within 7 years of application. Combined use of other drugs besides marijuana must not exceed 5 times.
  • No sale of any drugs.
  • Could have permanent disqualification for use of heroin, LSD, PCP, and crack cocaine.
  • No pattern of abuse of legal or legend drugs (including steroids).
    Must pass polygraph concerning use.

But do they really do a polygraph for that? i kind of doubt that. Although idk i am gonna ask on real police

About 95% of police departments (in the US) conduct polygraph examinations on all applicants.

If you go into the test believing your own lie that you never took drugs, can you beat the test?

Regardless of polygraph, in the states most major departments have investigators that interview your friends and neighbors and ask them questions about you. If they find out you lied, you can get kicked off the force. They sometimes continue your background check during your first year in the department. They warn you that if you conceal something, you will be kicked out and your whole training period and first year of service will be wasted. That doesn't mean it's not possible to beat the system, but it's definitely gambling a bunch of time and energy on their not being able to find out about past drug use.

A polygraph can be beaten, but it requires some practice to master. Personally, I think the polygraph's usefulness is extremely exaggerated, and I would never submit to one myself.

So regardless can a guy like me become a cop? (i smoked weed a decent amount and done coke like 5 times

I'm sure you could find some police department that would hire you under those circumstances. It's really up to the hiring board that reviews your application.