• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

I have a question for drs, smart people, people who get biochemistry and toxicology

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayasuma

Bluelighter
When I was sixteen and my friend was an idiot, before analogue laws and before most of the research chem sites had been shut down, he ordered some 5-MeO-AMT and mixed it with dextromethorphan hydrobromide multiple days in a row. As I understand, DXM inhibits an enzyme that breaks down serotonin and serotonin-like chemicals. My friend ended up going into a 3-week coma and asked me to ask the people on this forum what went wrong and if my hypothesis about the inhibited enzyme sounds most feasible or not? Thanks everyone, my buddy is ok now, after having to relearn how to walk, talk, shit, piss, everything. It also turns out he suffered from locked-in-syndrome. Crazy, right? I can't imagine being stuck in my body, paralyzed, and treated like I didn't even exist. Heh, turns out he could hear and understand everything that was going on around him once he woke up from his long nap. So, any psychiatrists here to share their opinion on what caused the coma? Besides my own idea, that is...thanks! If it helps, he had anoxic encephalitis.

your friends coma, memory loss was probably caused by serotonin syndrome or something of the sort. Dxm/amphetamines are contraindicted because they both have serotonin reuptake/release properties, as well as possibly using the same enzyme to metabolize(?). Since aMT is the trypt analog of amphetamine and 5meo is reported much harsher/potent by weight to aMT, as well as having MAOI properties of its own, this combo (dxm + any maoi/releaser) is clearly a death dose for anyone with pharmacological knowledge of both substances.

your friends coma, memory loss was probably caused by serotonin syndrome or something of the sort. Dxm/amphetamines are contraindicted because they both have serotonin reuptake/release properties, as well as possibly using the same enzyme to metabolize(?). Since aMT is the trypt analog of amphetamine and 5meo is reported much harsher/potent by weight to aMT, as well as having MAOI properties of its own, this combo (dxm + any maoi/releaser) is clearly a death dose for anyone with pharmacological knowledge of both substances.

1 small mistake, amt is a tryptamine and is chemically unrelated to amphetamine or any other phenethylamine to my knowledge.

1 small mistake, amt is a tryptamine and is chemically unrelated to amphetamine or any other phenethylamine to my knowledge.

AMT is related to amphetamine in the sense that if you replace the benzene of amphetamine with an indole you get AMT.

My structure based gut reaction explanation goes something like this, and it's just an idea, but: amp/mda may act on and be hard on the da system, and 5-meo-amt may act on and be hard on the 5ht system, but the da system repairs itself a lot better.

(yes, i know mda acts on both systems)

your ideas may vary

and my friend had minimal memory loss. it was very surprising and amazing to tell you the truth. he says he remembers all the way up through the night before he fell into the coma and everything he says happened checks out except he does not remember from when he took the drugs on on that night

IIRC, 5-MeO-AMT is a weak MAOI and could have fucked with the effects of the DXM leading to serotonin syndrome because DXM blocks the SERT.

Status
Not open for further replies.