• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I have a question about benzo withdrawal.

PopaPerc

Greenlighter
So I’ve been taking alprazolam 2mg er for 2 weeks straight. I can’t get my refill until tomorrow. Will I experience any withdrawal symptoms or am I good ?? All I have is kratom.

2 weeks at that dose will cause rebound symptoms, anxiety, insomnia, irritability, but you won't experience full blown withdrawal symptoms. It takes longer than a month for physical dependence to begin to form.

Plus only running out for 24 hours isn't that bad, it takes longer than that for rebound or withdrawal to peak.

Ok thank u so much I was a little worried. If I do experience the things u named will kratom or buspar help ? Thanks

2 weeks at that dose will cause rebound symptoms, anxiety, insomnia, irritability, but you won't experience full blown withdrawal symptoms. It takes longer than a month for physical dependence to begin to form.

Plus only running out for 24 hours isn't that bad, it takes longer than that for rebound or withdrawal to peak.
Thanks u so much I was a little worried. If I do experience the things u mentioned will kratom or buspar help ? Thanks

So I’ve been taking alprazolam 2mg er for 2 weeks straight. I can’t get my refill until tomorrow. Will I experience any withdrawal symptoms or am I good ?? All I have is kratom.
Yea you’ll be okay. Pretty much what Snafu said up there I was going to say something pretty similar
& if you’re saying the 2mg are er (like extended release) then you’ll definitely be okay with just a day

Thanks u so much I was a little worried. If I do experience the things u mentioned will kratom or buspar help ? Thanks
Buspar will do nothing. It's kind of a placebo pill to begin with, and doesn't touch GABA receptors.

Kratom may help a bit especially if you don't have much tolerance, but I would stick to red strains and don't take too much. It's an adrenal agonist, and you want to avoid stimulants like that during benzo withdrawal. But in your case I'm sure it'll be fine.

Buspar will do nothing. It's kind of a placebo pill to begin with, and doesn't touch GABA receptors.

Kratom may help a bit especially if you don't have much tolerance, but I would stick to red strains and don't take too much. It's an adrenal agonist, and you want to avoid stimulants like that during benzo withdrawal. But in your case I'm sure it'll be fine.
Ok thanks. I don’t know the strain all I know it’s called Trainwreck. Got it from a smoke shop.

Ok thanks. I don’t know the strain all I know it’s called Trainwreck. Got it from a smoke shop.
That's basically just a mix of strains, it's going to be stimulating.

Also pro tip: smoke shop kratom is dog shit. Find a good online vendor. Difference in quality is night and day. You can find vendor reviews on reddit.

That's basically just a mix of strains, it's going to be stimulating.

Also pro tip: smoke shop kratom is dog shit. Find a good online vendor. Difference in quality is night and day. You can find vendor reviews on reddit.
Haha I figured that. Thanks for the advice. I will look for new venders online.

but i can't tell you enough -- if you are worried about 2 weeks - start a taper with the next Rx fill. I assume you are out early because you used more than your Rx amount - GABA PAM's are super damaging to gaba receptors, and the withdrawal is a nightmare (i've done it twice, so much worse than opioid withdrawal) - 2 weeks isn't so bad, a month will be much worse - I would ask to switch to diazepam or librium ( a long acting benzo) and immediately instate a taper process to get off without a major rebound.

I know you may be stressed, but I can't tell you enough - life stressors never stop, and when you inevitably have to get off (the FDA is actively pursuing prescribers and requiring new Rxes to be in line with the actual use case of benzos - the labelling clearly states they should not be prescribed longer than two weeks)

I have 2 refills on my 10mg Valium(,diazepam) was on Ativan( lorazepam) for 6 and a half years before switching to Valium. I am middle aged if I just stopped I could die. 3x10mg a day before that Ativan 3x2mg for 6 and a half years. About 7 years 3 times a day every day, might = death if I did stop. The FDA better not be trying to kill me.

I have 2 refills on my 10mg Valium(,diazepam) was on Ativan( lorazepam) for 6 and a half years before switching to Valium. I am middle aged if I just stopped I could die. 3x10mg a day before that Ativan 3x2mg for 6 and a half years. About 7 years 3 times a day every day, might = death if I did stop. The FDA better not be trying to kill me.
the FDA IS tryna killa ya - the directive to doctors at this point is to not instantiate/support long term benzo habits, so even if you have a doctor now - that is unusual. I have spoken to multiple people in their 50's / 60's unceremoniously dumped and unable to find a doctor to continue their Rx. so, you have to QUICKLY devise a taper plan and get to it. don't just assume this is a thing that will continue, and take steps to taper yourself so it is not catastrophic.

I always found Xanax worse for the withdrawals and it was the one I got them from the shortest period of use, compared to say Valium.

the FDA IS tryna killa ya - the directive to doctors at this point is to not instantiate/support long term benzo habits, so even if you have a doctor now - that is unusual. I have spoken to multiple people in their 50's / 60's unceremoniously dumped and unable to find a doctor to continue their Rx. so, you have to QUICKLY devise a taper plan and get to it. don't just assume this is a thing that will continue, and take steps to taper yourself so it is not catastrophic.
My doctor said it could take a year to 18 months to get me off them. I use them to control OCD, anxiety and to help with insomnia. Also as a way to keep me calm from my pain meds. Do you think that will make a difference. I am already having Issues with my cirrois of the liver, I may be getting real sick, I was told 8 years ago I had 1 year to live, if I didn't get a liver transplant. I didn't. Do you think my situation can possible be an acception?

My doctor said it could take a year to 18 months to get me off them. I use them to control OCD, anxiety and to help with insomnia. Also as a way to keep me calm from my pain meds. Do you think that will make a difference. I am already having Issues with my cirrois of the liver, I may be getting real sick, I was told 8 years ago I had 1 year to live, if I didn't get a liver transplant. I didn't. Do you think my situation can possible be an acception?

wait - are you drinking as well?

I think that is after long-term use. I was on clonazepam for 7 years, quit December 2022. I was beyond afraid, but I was really ok to be honest. Except for cognitive problems, especially reading and writing detailed documents. I was told 12-18 months in some cases. Suddenly in December, I noticed significantly improved cognition.

It was like a light switch.

I think there is way too much stuff out there about acute withdrawal symptoms. Honestly, I could see how there was some controversy about the nature of benzo withdrawal. Acute withdrawal just wasn't so bad.