• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I didnt know there was a difference between brands of the same type of strain. (Kratom)

xbandit07x

Bluelighter
What is that variation in Kratom called, if two strains are both Mitragyna Speciosa, except one brands version causes a minor headache, more peripheral sides, etc. compared to the other.

What is that variation in Kratom called...?
Not a kratom doctor but there are sooooo many factors involving the processing of the leaf that it would only be guesses at what causes the differing effects. Some may have adulterants added, some may be more mature leaves some may have sand added either intentionally or from processing etc the list of why is endless guessing.
If one had a trillion dollar spectro analyzer one could come up with some unanswered questions.
Best wishes,
Ptah

Last edited:
There are huge differences between brands.

Some brands lab test and blend many batches together to ensure consistency of quality, because the amount of alkaloids will vary from crop to crop. Some vendors use the harvests from old trees, some new. The age of the product is a large factor. The older the product, the less the potency. If you go to a headshop and get a bag thats been sitting for months, it will be crap.

Also, cheaper brands can give you salmonella. Reputable brands sterilize the kratom before packaging.

Well there are a couple different things you might be referencing.

There are different colors: white, green, red, yellow, gold, etc. which are used to describe the color of the vein of the leaf, which describes effects

There are different regions it comes from: Indo, Malay, Thai, etc.

So strain names are typically named with a color and a region, ie. Green Malay

There are also many different alkaloids present in kratom, w/ varying levels depending on the strain. But the main two alkaloids responsible for psychoactive effect are: Mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine

Typically I only call something a "brand" if it's been packaged and sold under a certain "brand name" by certain producers, mostly you see that in head shops. Most online vendors sell it by strain name.

There are different blends and mixes of certain strains, but basically any difference in the effect of kratom can be attributed to the varying levels of alkaloids in the plant, like THC or CBD for cannabis.

The kratom industry is filled with shady people and greedy wannabe entrepreneurs and outright thieves. Tons of "reputable" sites are nothing more than slick web-design to give the illusion that they care or give a shit. They don't. They just want your money. And if the kratom plants drew water from a super polluted and unregulated river, tough shit for you, the consumer. Oh sure, they'll post their "results" from some bullshit fake test. Remember that there is a lot of pollution in the regions kratom comes from. It's not all pristine jungles and no industry.

Personally, i like the hungry hungry "fill in the blank here" site. That site showed me that the whole "reds are slow", "whites and greens are fast" is complete bullshit. There are slow whites and there are fast reds. And while it tends to skew that reds and yellows are slower, it's not always the case. This dovetails to what I believe you're talking about. "Red bali" from one place may be completely different from "red bali" on another site. Again, most of them don't care. They give the holistic bullshit answers and act like they care. They don't. They want your money. And if posing as do-gooding plant-loving hippies is what sucks the loot out of your wallet, that's the lengths they'll go to. And if the plants are drinking water from a river that has a shirt factory up river, again, tough shit for you. Gas station attendant don't care, if you catch my drift.

I don't mean to be a promoter of the aforementioned happy "animal that kills the most people in africa each year" (hint #2), there are some other good, well-meaning vendors, who do care. But be skeptical. Be critical. The soil, the weather, the alkalinity/acidity, the fertilizers, all these things can have an effect.

The most important factor I have found with kratom is a good vendor. I have used a few over the years that I went back to regularly because they generally didn't have shit (kratom is VERY hit or miss.)

The strain etc isn't super meaningful.