• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

I can't handle stupid people anymore

The higher global standard of living the lower the global birth rate. Whether we overtax earth's resources in the process remains to be seen. But I agree that dogma has no place in family planning public policy.

We don't have time to wait and see. Someone needs to step in and take control of human reproduction, autocratically if necessary. I know it won't ever happen, but it should. We can't achieve a global standard of living because there are too many competing ideologies, like religion. We just don't have time. By 2050 this planet will have 10 billion humans.

China has been doing this for decades. The one child policy was so successful that they had to relax it in order to meet population replacement in the next 50 years. Women who had more than one child could not get credentials for that child. The child's life was effectively ruined. Pregnant women had no choice but to get abortions.

In the UK, we can access as many free condoms as we want and the morning after pill is only a doctor's visit away. Failing that, abortion is freely available (literally free). However, for many in our society having a child at a young age is a passport to free housing and numerous benefits which can pretty much set the mother up for life. Then she sneaks her freeloading boyfriend in, has a few more kids and then they appear on Jeremy Kyle a few weeks later disputing who the father is.

Meh... 8(

The first world has some of the lowest birthrates around. And I for one am never EVER going to support a state, or a person, who thinks it's ok to essentially kidnap, drug, and operate on people no matter what they have done.

It's disgusting and reprehensible and has no place in a civilized society.

This is an interesting discussion in that it relies on multiple future assumptions to lay the groundwork for authoritarian policies now. We can project what things may be like 100 years from now and we can even claim levels of accuracy but that is taking much time and energy from the issues that need dealt with right now. I find it hard to agree with taking an inncoent life; regardless of how the situation is framed. I get that rape victims are an exception and I can see why they would want abortion but I can't see how; put the child up for adoption. Life is precious. People in this thread that want to control who can birth...you're right they should've started with your parents.

I have a lot of sympathy for your pov, I do. When you get down to it we're a pretty violent form of life.

Someone needs to step in and take control of human reproduction, autocratically if necessary.

I understand the sentiment, but I wonder- take control, in what way? Do you mean some authority should determine who gets to reproduce? What criteria would you propose they use to determine someones reproductive potential? What are the consequence if these criterion are wrong? Who is this authority? Who selects this authority? Who removes them? What if they can be corrupted (like every human institution ever?)

Having the state intefere with the one "right" we truly have- that of reproduction- is not something I have any confidence in. If you've ever seen the troubles a government has in selling a tax cut, do you really trust them to secure our evolutionary future? I absolutely don't.

In the UK, we can access as many free condoms as we want and the morning after pill is only a doctor's visit away. Failing that, abortion is freely available (literally free). However, for many in our society having a child at a young age is a passport to free housing and numerous benefits which can pretty much set the mother up for life. Then she sneaks her freeloading boyfriend in, has a few more kids and then they appear on Jeremy Kyle a few weeks later disputing who the father is.

Meh... 8(

Yup.... social policy encourages breeding. They know they'll get a baby bonus if they have more babies. I'm not saying welfare life is glamorous but it allows people to shirk their responsibilities, while totally backing out of living up to their potential.

We need to stop rewarding breeding with government money. It's not fair to those of us who have chosen to focus on personal productivity who pay taxes.

The first world has some of the lowest birthrates around. And I for one am never EVER going to support a state, or a person, who thinks it's ok to essentially kidnap, drug, and operate on people no matter what they have done.

It's disgusting and reprehensible and has no place in a civilized society.

The developed world (first world is not the correct word) has low birthrates but this does not offset the social problems. Because of the capitalist growth model, our governments are meeting replacement by importing immigrants from countries who still have a major breeding problem.

So even in the educated developing nations, we are still affected by rampant reproduction in other countries.

Part of the problem is indeed capitalism. The growth model can't go on.

China is a pretty civilized society, and they're way older than us. They took control of their reproduction problem so that millions wouldn't die of starvation, and it worked. They industrialized their nation in less than 2 generations. Look at India, which has no such controls. They have been languishing for over a century as they are inundated by homeless street children.

Yeah, China looks a lot more "civilized" to me compared to India.

People should not have a right to breed unabated. I don't care what people think of individual rights. Making babies affects everybody.

This is an interesting discussion in that it relies on multiple future assumptions to lay the groundwork for authoritarian policies now. We can project what things may be like 100 years from now and we can even claim levels of accuracy but that is taking much time and energy from the issues that need dealt with right now. I find it hard to agree with taking an inncoent life; regardless of how the situation is framed. I get that rape victims are an exception and I can see why they would want abortion but I can't see how; put the child up for adoption. Life is precious. People in this thread that want to control who can birth...you're right they should've started with your parents.

It's not like I'm sitting here all day twiddling my thumbs thinking about population projections. It takes just a minute to lookup future population projections, at the current rate of growth.

Are you pro-life? Well, pro-lifers are a cancer on this planet and their desire to force babies to born is creating untold social problems. We don't have time for the religious anymore. They need to get out of the way so that we can do what's best for this planet. More humans is not going to make this planet better. We need far less people. The world's ecology is collapsing.

I have a lot of sympathy for your pov, I do. When you get down to it we're a pretty violent form of life.

Our worst violence is large a product of selfishness... people just focusing on their individuals lives, wants, hopes and dreams... like having families. Nobody stops to think about what having a baby will do to the planet, and how not having children could have a positive impact.

The problem is that stupid people keep breeding, and they're kept stupid by capitalists and the religious who benefit from increasing numbers.

Once the world's population reaches a good standard of education, people will discard religion and start looking at the situation rationally. The problem is, we're running out of time. By all projections we have about 12 years to stop the coming calamity, which means radical changes, many of them by legal force.

I would have NO problem with the government telling people they're only allowed to have 1 child max. We don't even have to force them to get abortions, we just have to tell them that any additional children will not receive credentials in the system, and therefore no education, no job, no benefits, no health care, no nothing. This, plus free contraception and abortion, would work wonders. Better yet, cease giving out baby bonuses for additional children. This will incentivize more abortions. People who can't afford kids shouldn't be having them.

I understand the sentiment, but I wonder- take control, in what way? Do you mean some authority should determine who gets to reproduce? What criteria would you propose they use to determine someones reproductive potential? What are the consequence if these criterion are wrong? Who is this authority? Who selects this authority? Who removes them? What if they can be corrupted (like every human institution ever?)

Having the state intefere with the one "right" we truly have- that of reproduction- is not something I have any confidence in. If you've ever seen the troubles a government has in selling a tax cut, do you really trust them to secure our evolutionary future? I absolutely don't.

China has already done it. An entry level solution with massive negative incentives to rampant reproduction. Like ok... go have a bunch of kids you can't take care of, but don't expect social services or credentials for those kids. The system will not take care of them. If you're rich and can pay for everything, then go for it.

Watch how fast the population numbers drop. No direct coercion needed, just massive negative incentives. One thing the U.S. could do right now that would have a major impact is stop giving welfare baby bonuses, as well as make contraception and abortion free and widely available.

During the one-child era in China, they went a step further. If you had an unauthorized second child, you received a huge fine. The wealthy could pay it, but it was still debilitating. All these things would make couples think twice about breeding.

You should have to pay to have a child. We should not be paying people to have children.

During the one-child era in China, they went a step further. If you had an unauthorized second child, you received a huge fine. The wealthy could pay it, but it was still debilitating.

This just means that the wealthy will be able to reproduce with greater ease. Kinda like an aristocracy. This system does not ensure that worthy people reproduce, just the wealthy. Having wealth does not mean you are biologically hardy or worth duplicating anyway. Look at the Hapsburg chin. That's what happens when the rich only breed with each, which is the exact outcome of a pay-for-children scheme.

You should have to pay to have a child. We should not be paying people to have children.

Pay who? What possible government agency would you trust not to exploit this immense power?

Either way, this idea will never work in conservative devleoped countries. If a person falls pregnant but cannot pay for it, is an abortion the next step? Or do you want to go a step back and sterilise the poor so they cannot fall pregnant in the first place?

Money is a terrible way to determine someones reproductive fitness. It just means they will be able to afford lifelong care of their children, but a wealthy nation can make that determination itself. The wealthy are also the greatest consumer of resources; if over consumption is a concern, it doesn't make sense to isolate reproduction to the greediest.

Its been discussed but birth rates drop when healthcare for children improves. This is done not through individual wealth but through a wealthy society funding research into causes of infant mortality, etc. If you want people to make less shitty humans, make the humans they do have a 'guaranteed' lifelong investment, not something where they have to hedge their bets and add another few children because some will inevitably be lost.

I do like the idea of people needing to be 'accredited' before they have kids. Humans should know the basics of budgeting, health and nutrition, education, etc. and there could be a system whereby folks with a paucity of thsoe skills are able to attain them before being able to have children. How this is enforced is where I get a bit vague though...

Ah, I see. So you've downgrade kidnapping and forced operations to rendering children stateless through no fault of their own.

You know, I don't think I care to discuss politics or what is right and wrong with you any further. I'm out.

Meh... 8(

Not anymore after,this. It was dysfunctional at best - it was a ratings show, the public loved it; they were bored and conformist and it made them feel good about themselves and their moral superiority complexes.

Absolutely agree, that people take advantage of social/financial systems as most on here could attest to, its human nature - doesn't mean that it is the 'right thing to do' but it is what it is. Same as pointing 'over there' to the issue that deflects from yourself. Just normal, human behavior.
How do we control this?; well, we don't and ultra-liberal-welfare systems - regarding politics and economics; hold financial and policy-related rewards for politicians - the systems that they invest in, and industry - otherwise it wouldn't be permitted, obviously.

I reckon this is where the right-wingers are herded into camp to highlight this and then the left-wingers are herded to fight for the rights of the oppressed; as defined by social-media and big-media - this smokescreen of actual factual realities of those most in need and the whole, practicalities get bypassed, in favour of sensational nonsense and badda-bing, Badda boom! injustices, orchestrated by the system, its a chess-game and it is rigged -you got politicians that capitalize on the grey area of social discourse that surf between the areas that conflate the actualities of those in need and those who pretend they are in need and these political forces hijack the ideology of the 'socially neglected/fringe camp with good intentions' acting as the "mediators" and "heroes"of social injustice; to justify their exorbitant salaries - such are our systems of governance - we know this, there is no room for dissent to BS these days, especially given the hijacking of any reasonable discourse with PC shut-down of debate.
Its an age-old divide and conquer, strategy - we all know this but we just buy into it. It's boring. ;)

Last edited:

I'm inferring that you are feeling overwhelmed by mass media and suffering from its effects (by inferring, here, I mean inferring), what has brought you to the conclusion that everyone is stupid except for you? Do you not realize that this is a stupid reason to base a premise on? Why are you making a supposition that you desire to have the answers to, when no-one does - a convolution of issues that have no specificity/reason - that no-one can answer, seems like the problems of Sysiphus, are on you? Why... am curious?

I'm inferring that you are feeling overwhelmed by mass media and suffering from its effects (by inferring, here, I mean inferring), what has brought you to the conclusion that everyone is stupid except for you? Do you not realize that this is a stupid reason to base a premise on? Why are you making a supposition that you desire to have the answers to, when no-one does - a convolution of issues that have no specificity/reason - that no-one can answer, seems like the problems of Sysiphus, are on you? Why... am curious?
Or Jacob wrestling with the angel.

^interesting Mr. Axe - thanx for the ref :)...brought to mind, I saw a great doc about André the Giant and the WWF, that guy was special ;)

Anyhoo,

OK, so back to reason and argument, what is stupid about people? ... and how can an argument be based on a nebulous, and subjective, generalization?

If, there is a stated hypothesis; as in a defined, premise; a specific example, instead of just, personal feeling that is ill-defined and subjective - then the OP's question could be addressed and would elicit responses that would bring more clarity to the OP and to the posters.

As in, for example:

*Is present social discourse making people [stupid] less cognitively aware?

Or, as mentioned in a previous post:

*Are Smart Phones making people [stupid] less cognitively aware of experiential activity?

...again, "stupid", needs to be defined within a context, as in:

*Are Smartphones making people less aware of the experiential realities and social experiences that inform social intelligence, in contemporary society? Or, Do certain technologies limit the use of cognitive and emotional intelligence in informing, intra-personal or, inter-personal, experience, of users in contemporary society?

Last edited:
China, civilized? lol Id rather be surrounded by the "Stupid" than the people who think they are clever but just talk bollocks.

Disappointing to see that this thread apparently wasn't the result of an honest exasperation at the self destructive tendencies of the human race, but in fact just another iteration of the same old bitter resentments that others who are "less deserving" should not have certain freedoms forcibly removed from them.

I mean, why should we, the unstupid, the enlightened, superior race of the world, who work and pay our taxes, have to pay for those ignorant subhumans to sit around breeding and living lives of easy, undeserved luxury?

/scarcasm, in case that wasn't obvious...

Foreigner, have you considered that perhaps being "stupid" is not the panacea of ignorant, undeserved bliss that you seem to assume it is, and in fact is it's own curse, one that no amount of children, benefits, or undeserved handouts from the more compassionate nation states of the world can make up for?

Please also consider that being more "smart", as you seem to assume that you must be, is not an indisputable indicator of personal moral superiority, as, again, you seem to think it is, and in fact a gift, which was given to you by the cosmic welfare state of an inscrutable and chaotic universe.

Rather than sitting around working yourself into a senseless, bitter rage about the injustice that those who are less deserving than yourself are not being made to suffer for their stupidity, how about you channel some of that energy into using your own supposed intelligence to help those who were less fortunate than you have been in the cosmic lottery of mind.

As far as hands that you could have been dealt in the game of life go, having to "handle stupid people" is pretty low on the list of problems you could have, and pales in comparison to the problems that actually being stupid would bring. You can handle stupid people, and if you are indeed as smart as you think you are, you should be able to find a way to let go of this unjust bitterness and resentment that you currently feel towards them. Suck it up.

This just means that the wealthy will be able to reproduce with greater ease. Kinda like an aristocracy. This system does not ensure that worthy people reproduce, just the wealthy. Having wealth does not mean you are biologically hardy or worth duplicating anyway. Look at the Hapsburg chin. That's what happens when the rich only breed with each, which is the exact outcome of a pay-for-children scheme.

Pay who? What possible government agency would you trust not to exploit this immense power?

Either way, this idea will never work in conservative devleoped countries. If a person falls pregnant but cannot pay for it, is an abortion the next step? Or do you want to go a step back and sterilise the poor so they cannot fall pregnant in the first place?

Money is a terrible way to determine someones reproductive fitness. It just means they will be able to afford lifelong care of their children, but a wealthy nation can make that determination itself. The wealthy are also the greatest consumer of resources; if over consumption is a concern, it doesn't make sense to isolate reproduction to the greediest.

Its been discussed but birth rates drop when healthcare for children improves. This is done not through individual wealth but through a wealthy society funding research into causes of infant mortality, etc. If you want people to make less shitty humans, make the humans they do have a 'guaranteed' lifelong investment, not something where they have to hedge their bets and add another few children because some will inevitably be lost.

I do like the idea of people needing to be 'accredited' before they have kids. Humans should know the basics of budgeting, health and nutrition, education, etc. and there could be a system whereby folks with a paucity of thsoe skills are able to attain them before being able to have children. How this is enforced is where I get a bit vague though...

Your argument is a red herring. I never said money determined fitness. I said that only people who can afford to have children should be having them.

All of your questions have already been answered by the one government in the world who successfully enacted a one-child policy, and that was China. You can have one child, nobody will stop you. If you want another, then be prepared to paid a huge fine and possibly not have credentials for your child. The negative incentives have to be very high to stop people from breeding otherwise they will just do it. I look at families like octomom or the Christians who are still having 20 children and I want to vomit.

The enforcement part is negotiable. I think it can be done. It already has been done. There is no Constitutional law on the books that says the government can't mandate reproductive controls.

What you point out is true... when health care, education, free access to contraception and abortion are given, birth rates drop. But do you think that can happen as long as religious people are around? No. What I'm suggesting is a necessary evil to save our planet.

Ah, I see. So you've downgrade kidnapping and forced operations to rendering children stateless through no fault of their own.

You know, I don't think I care to discuss politics or what is right and wrong with you any further. I'm out.

The morality of reproductive controls is overshadowed by the immorality of what large numbers of humans are doing to this planet. We are genociding thousands upon thousands of animal species and making this planet uninhabitable for all future life. It has to stop. Humans are the problem and humans in high numbers.

The calculations have already been done on this. The planet can comfortably sustain about a billion humans at a high standard of living indefinitely without destroying the legacy of the natural world.

So you can whine about "right and wrong" but nature doesn't care about your feelings. Nature is dying.

Please quote where I said everyone is stupid except for me. That's what others have accused me of in this thread because they have reading comprehension problems.

K, so back to reason and argument, what is stupid about people? ... and how can an argument be based on a nebulous, and subjective, generalization?

I already defined my terms, more than once. I won't do so again. I'm also not interested in your lengthy cerebral analysis of stupidity.

China, civilized? lol Id rather be surrounded by the "Stupid" than the people who think they are clever but just talk bollocks.

Have you ever been to China? Lived there? Learned the language? Studied the politics, as well as their social and economic system? I didn't think so.

I have done all of those things.

Disappointing to see that this thread apparently wasn't the result of an honest exasperation at the self destructive tendencies of the human race, but in fact just another iteration of the same old bitter resentments that others who are "less deserving" should not have certain freedoms forcibly removed from them.

I mean, why should we, the unstupid, the enlightened, superior race of the world, who work and pay our taxes, have to pay for those ignorant subhumans to sit around breeding and living lives of easy, undeserved luxury?

/scarcasm, in case that wasn't obvious...

Foreigner, have you considered that perhaps being "stupid" is not the panacea of ignorant, undeserved bliss that you seem to assume it is, and in fact is it's own curse, one that no amount of children, benefits, or undeserved handouts from the more compassionate nation states of the world can make up for?

Please also consider that being more "smart", as you seem to assume that you must be, is not an indisputable indicator of personal moral superiority, as, again, you seem to think it is, and in fact a gift, which was given to you by the cosmic welfare state of an inscrutable and chaotic universe.

Rather than sitting around working yourself into a senseless, bitter rage about the injustice that those who are less deserving than yourself are not being made to suffer for their stupidity, how about you channel some of that energy into using your own supposed intelligence to help those who were less fortunate than you have been in the cosmic lottery of mind.

As far as hands that you could have been dealt in the game of life go, having to "handle stupid people" is pretty low on the list of problems you could have, and pales in comparison to the problems that actually being stupid would bring. You can handle stupid people, and if you are indeed as smart as you think you are, you should be able to find a way to let go of this unjust bitterness and resentment that you currently feel towards them. Suck it up.

There's a lot of assumptions here being made about me, as well as 100% incorrect assertions about statements I've made. Again, reading comprehension problems. It's a shame that you took so much time to reply to me yet your statements are all framed on things I never said.

Let me reiterate: I am in favour of controlling humanity's reproduction rate by any means possible in order to save this planet from ecological collapse and the genocide of thousands of species. In the presence of "freedom", people show utter stupidity and lack of responsibility.

My entire OP is actually a lament on the harms humanity is doing to this world, a world I care about, a world that I place as a higher priority than even my own life. I want to see our numbers cut back significantly, and I am not willing to wait for the talking heads to get their ideologies straight. We don't have time. We have 10-20 years max to stop a climate change roller coaster that will kill us and our way of life.

People keep rebutting my argument as though I am saying I am smarter than everyone else, and that most other people are stupid. I never said that, not once. That's what you're saying.

I also don't care how stupid people suffer. It's not my problem. If they don't have the self-control to stop breeding, then someone else has to enact that control for them. It's that simple.

As far as hands that you could have been dealt in the game of life go, having to "handle stupid people" is pretty low on the list of problems you could have, and pales in comparison to the problems that actually being stupid would bring.

This problem is made worse yet when people are really only suffering from an illusion of superiority. People that are too stupid to even come to that level of self-awareness of their own shortcomings is why we have people like Trump who truly believes he is a genius. He must be a master at resolving cognitive dissonance at least.

It seems even worse when people start seeing socio-economic power as equating to intelligence.

I said that only people who can afford to have children should be having them.

Who determines this? The one-child policy fine is not the same as 'paying' to have children. Its a ridiculous beauracratic load of hot air.

Some people are inherently 'low ability'. They may simple not have the capacity to ever come to the informed decisions that society expects of them. To those people, an ethical society holds out a helping hand and assists in bringing all members to approximate parity. There is an evil in punishing people for facts of their life they have no control over, such as intelligence. Someone who is born with a low intellect shouldn't be treated poorly as a result. Degrading the weakest members of society is far from intelligent anyway. We should always provide welfare to those weaker than ourselves if we hold out any hope that this welfare will be provided to us when we are old and weak too. And a plain fact of life is that we all become old, weak, burdens to society at some point; there will always come a point where you cannot contribute to society anymore. Perhaps we should pay a fine when we get over the age of 80 so we don't become too much of a burden to the rich.

I also don't care how stupid people suffer. It's not my problem.

Wow, what a disgusting perspective. And utterly ignorant too, tbh- when people suffer in a large society like the ones we all exist in, the effects are never isolated to just themselves. Thank god people with such heartless views aren't in power.

Plenty of parents have kids they cant afford but find a way weathers its working as a waitress all night or something else you can bet those kids will be more appreciative and less spoilt than the better off to so sorry foreigner buddy you argument holds no calling if I posted the same thing as you you would think I was trolling like someone said its a good job people like you are not in charge