• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

I can't handle stupid people anymore

Yes it did, it did exactly what it was designed to do. To keep African Americans from voting. :)

Well, the question is how we'd implement it. If such a test were intended to be introduced both major sides of politics along with all the more extreme smaller groups will try to shift its design to their own ends. Eventually you'd have to have a vote with the new system.

I would say it's likely that one side would come out ahead, and then attempt to further manipulate the test to solidify power.

Political parties have long tried to do exactly this by trying to ensure their people can vote, and make it harder to vote for demographics less likely to support them.

The difference is this would give them the power to actually stop people voting by outright taking their vote away. That's far more powerful than anything available now.

And the danger is that sooner or later the only people able to vote, and by extension change the test further, are those who pass it now.

Even in a less extreme scenario though it's likely both sides of politics would try to ensure people who support them know how to pass the test, even if only by rote memorization or something.

The U.S. government can't even vote on standard fare because of partisan bickering. The only stuff that gets through now is bipartisan proposals, which end up being watered down policies that have no real strength. Anything partisan gets filibustered into oblivion. The U.S. government has ceased to function democratically.

I say this because any attempt at policy reform to change the voting system is bound to fail. For example, a literacy test for voting won't work because it would rely on educational background checks, and then it would make our educational systems political. The last thing I want is GOP propaganda in classrooms.

What I would like to see is proportional representation, ranked choice voting, and the end of gerrymandering. It would create more parties and more fair representation. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court has been stacked by the GOP now, and the court has given the OK to corporate bribery and gerrymandering. So there's no hope... the system is lost. Only a full on revolution will stop this runaway train.

The GOP has spent decades defunding public education, outsourcing jobs, and lining the pockets of their corporate buddies. The Dems aren't much better with their standardized testing policies. The pharmaceutical industry has infiltrated the education system and has drugged a staggering number of children. All of these factors combined have led to the 'great dumbing down' we are seeing. The social fabric is coming undone as people have lost the ability to think critically. This is the stupidity I am trying to describe. The people in power have intentionally undermined our ability to be an informed democracy.

My generation was the first to experience mass drugging in schools and the defunding of education. Fortunately, I got through it undamaged. The younger people these days... some of them are really bright, but god, some of them are incredibly stupid. And then these stupid people breed.

I'm 100% in favour of mandatory birth control for people who keep reproducing but can't take care of their children. The welfare state has to end. If those people don't comply with birth control then they should be sterilized. Unfortunately, population control is a sacred cow topic that no politician wants to touch, because everyone feels entitled to breed unendingly.

Right, so basically do what you say, or you'll be dragged away, drugged, and operated on without consent.

Sounds like a wonderful world you have in mind.

The U.S. government can't even vote on standard fare because of partisan bickering. The only stuff that gets through now is bipartisan proposals, which end up being watered down policies that have no real strength. Anything partisan gets filibustered into oblivion. The U.S. government has ceased to function democratically.

I say this because any attempt at policy reform to change the voting system is bound to fail. For example, a literacy test for voting won't work because it would rely on educational background checks, and then it would make our educational systems political. The last thing I want is GOP propaganda in classrooms.

What I would like to see is proportional representation, ranked choice voting, and the end of gerrymandering. It would create more parties and more fair representation. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court has been stacked by the GOP now, and the court has given the OK to corporate bribery and gerrymandering. So there's no hope... the system is lost. Only a full on revolution will stop this runaway train.

The GOP has spent decades defunding public education, outsourcing jobs, and lining the pockets of their corporate buddies. The Dems aren't much better with their standardized testing policies. The pharmaceutical industry has infiltrated the education system and has drugged a staggering number of children. All of these factors combined have led to the 'great dumbing down' we are seeing. The social fabric is coming undone as people have lost the ability to think critically. This is the stupidity I am trying to describe. The people in power have intentionally undermined our ability to be an informed democracy.

My generation was the first to experience mass drugging in schools and the defunding of education. Fortunately, I got through it undamaged. The younger people these days... some of them are really bright, but god, some of them are incredibly stupid. And then these stupid people breed.

I'm 100% in favour of mandatory birth control for people who keep reproducing but can't take care of their children. The welfare state has to end. If those people don't comply with birth control then they should be sterilized. Unfortunately, population control is a sacred cow topic that no politician wants to touch, because everyone feels entitled to breed unendingly.
Totally on board with this, so long as its blacks, jews, mexicans, gays, asians, the poor, muslims, mentally disabled....
and drug users (freindly nod to Rodrigo Duterte that last one - he's way ahead of his time)

NINTCHDBPICT000495985949-e1559917856826.jpg

Yeah, can't quite figure out if this thread is teed up for the philosophy or spirituality angle...

I assume that was sarcasm i your post before this, Axe?

Sometimes though the thought occurs to me that in malls large strips of stupid paper should be hung up, kinda like a human version of flypaper, maybe quite shiny with a notice saying do not touch. the stupids would then get stuck to the paper which could be rolled up and then burnt in power stations or composted depending on how green you want it.

Bring back natural selection this election.

Right, so basically do what you say, or you'll be dragged away, drugged, and operated on without consent.

Sounds like a wonderful world you have in mind.

Humans can't control their breeding tendencies. Do you have another idea? Preferably one that can be enacted before the world's ecosystem collapses.

Humans can't control their breeding tendencies. Do you have another idea? Preferably one that can be enacted before the world's ecosystem collapses.
Why don't we just finish Hitler's extermination work

Why don't we just finish Hitler's extermination work

Because I'm talking about people who keep breeding and then applying for welfare. People who don't stop having kids after it's been made clear that they can't afford them should be forced to go on birth control.

That looks nothing like what Hitler did.

I'm wary of the idea due to human rights, but on the other hand, it's true that people who can't afford to have children/who are unfit to be parents are creating a big problem for society. The problem is in the implementation. There's a lot of room for it to go very wrong as it is a subjective qualification in many cases. Enforcement would also be difficult and could become a nightmare situation.

I'm wary of the idea due to human rights, but on the other hand, it's true that people who can't afford to have children/who are unfit to be parents are creating a big problem for society. The problem is in the implementation. There's a lot of room for it to go very wrong as it is a subjective qualification in many cases. Enforcement would also be difficult and could become a nightmare situation.
My vote is for free contraception and morning after medication for all women over the counter.

We're going to have to do something because the world's population is the elephant in the room that nobody wants to think about. With fewer humans, standard of living could go way up and we could preserve other life on this planet.

Research shows that education, especially of women, reduces birth rates. The problem is that we have right wingers trying to block education constantly, and control women's bodies by stopping abortion. All the while, the stupid and ignorant continue to breed unabated and expect society to take care of them.

The welfare state needs to be reformed. Before the 1960's, if people had too many kids, they ended up in orphanages or died. If there's no real consequence to breeding then people will keep doing it.

I'm not worried about implementation. It beats the alternative, which is an apocalypse caused by too many humans.

Totally agreed there. The right's policies are destructive to society. They don't want to stop at outlawing abortion... they're even trying to limit access to contraception. It's madness. At least I understand the desire to outlaw abortion in people that honestly believe it's murder, even though I disagree. But why would you try to defund public access to contraception, if you also believe the welfare state should end? Also, clearly overpopulation is a huge problem.

Free contraception and morning after medication would be a very good move, IMO. It's quite likely it would do a lot to help, though certainly some people would still be irresponsible and not utilize these services.

We're going to have to do something because the world's population is the elephant in the room that nobody wants to think about. With fewer humans, standard of living could go way up and we could preserve other life on this planet.

Research shows that education, especially of women, reduces birth rates. The problem is that we have right wingers trying to block education constantly, and control women's bodies by stopping abortion. All the while, the stupid and ignorant continue to breed unabated and expect society to take care of them.

The welfare state needs to be reformed. Before the 1960's, if people had too many kids, they ended up in orphanages or died. If there's no real consequence to breeding then people will keep doing it.

I'm not worried about implementation. It beats the alternative, which is an apocalypse caused by too many humans.
The higher global standard of living the lower the global birth rate. Whether we overtax earth's resources in the process remains to be seen. But I agree that dogma has no place in family planning public policy.

Totally agreed there. The right's policies are destructive to society. They don't want to stop at outlawing abortion... they're even trying to limit access to contraception. It's madness. At least I understand the desire to outlaw abortion in people that honestly believe it's murder, even though I disagree. But why would you try to defund public access to contraception, if you also believe the welfare state should end? Also, clearly overpopulation is a huge problem.

Free contraception and morning after medication would be a very good move, IMO. It's quite likely it would do a lot to help, though certainly some people would still be irresponsible and not utilize these services.

Because Christian fanatics believe that reproduction is God's will and spreads the word, and they don't believe women should have the right to stop it. It's part of Christian dominionism, which is something that evangelicals cling steadfastly to.