• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I am the new moderator of sober living!

Well, the mod team votes in a democratic way, so every vote is weighed the same.

There's no reason not to have brought you online man, you're a great candidate.

We normally bring on current moderators to help out in other forums, and perhaps it's a tendency we can look at over time.

Don't feel dejected, there's a great probability another spot will open up in due time.

Thats not really a valid reason for being rejected. No worries. I am not going to be putting another application just to be shot down a third time.

I love you sexy beast :)

w0w -

remeber, CH is a sexy beast and you love him.

And we all love you! Who cares who moderates, right? This is about the community. It's about all of us.

Please don't be sad :(. We are all here for you!

- VE

Thanks VE. It just kind of hurts my feelings which is stupid i know. I just have been really wanted to contribute and be apart of the SL team for months but i always get rejected for some reasons. I hate being emotional. I am sorry about the snappy post.. I just dont understand what im doing wrong..

Dude, @w0w0mg... you rule! Like VE said, who moderates aint a big thing... we all contribute. One thing to consider: I'm sure the mods had quite a few really good applications. But they only had one slot open right now. Logically then, even some really good applications won't make it in any given round. It's not a sign of any failure on your part. It's just a sign the SL community is strong.

^ indeed.

Why even bother doing applications when you don't even pick new users for moderators.
'new' users are often added to staff. all staff were non-staffers at some point.

Thanks VE. It just kind of hurts my feelings which is stupid i know. I just have been really wanted to contribute and be apart of the SL team for months but i always get rejected for some reasons. I hate being emotional. I am sorry about the snappy post.. I just dont understand what im doing wrong..
you may not be doing anything wrong as such. the sl mod team may simply have picked (an)other candidate(s) for any number of reasons.

i've seen people apply multiple times for a staff position and not be selected the first few times. not taking this kind of thing personally and handling rejection with humility are two traits i personally believe would be good in any (potential) staff member :)

alasdair

Last edited:

W0w0mg - I have written and deleted countless responses to your post today as I feel like I may be one of the last people you want input from right now, but I can't let it go without saying something. I can related to your hurt and frustration as I have also applied for the mod position previously and didn't get it. I can't speak of the selection process because I've haven't participated in one yet (nor is that info available for past selections once we become a mod), but did want to say that you're not doing anything wrong and not to take it personally. I do realize it does hurt and I hope you can get beyond that hurt and continue to interact with the community as you have been because you add so much to SL. I do agree with you, having an explaination would help and that's one thing I will do if I'm ever involved in the selection process for new staff is to message all the applicants with more specific details for why we made the decision we did.

The last time SL was looking for a mod I applied (wrote a ridiculously long app) and I was not selected it did hurt and I did wonder why I wasn't selected. I found that speculating and ruminating on the possible reasons is not helpful. Because I was hurt I was going to stay out of SL until I questioned my motives for being here...what is my purpose for being on Bluelight? When I first started posting I didn't know anything about how the site was ran or moderated, and had no idea staff positions were made available to the general membership. Back then my purpose for being on Bluelight was to help others get through addiction and emotional hardship, which can be done regardless of whether you're a mod or not, so I continued to post. Coincidentally there were several alcohol and benzo threads being created during that time and I didn't want those people to suffer because my feelings are hurt, and alcohol and benzos are my "specialty". Ask yourself why you are here?

The truth of the matter is that you can contribute just as much as a member, if not more, than as a moderator. I don't know if I'm allowed to say this or not, but I have found that since becoming a mod I actually spend less time interacting with the TDS and SL communities than when I was a member as there are other duties that that have to be taken care of outside of interacting with the community. It can also be stressful as we have to make decisions on discipline and there may be some resistance to decisions we make. Sometimes we have to discipline members because we are obligated to and it hurts. I have recently had to discipline a few members that I really enjoy and genuinely care about and I know our "friendship" has taken a beating because of it and I hate that. I have lost sleep over those types of situations, but as I agreed to the moderator position I agreed to uphold BLUA so I am obligated to take action. There have been times because of stress I have had to take a break, which also reduces my time interacting with members in the forum. Overall, I have found being a moderator is just as rewarding as being a member but there are differences in the two that do change the Bluelight experience for you.

You have a lot of unique experiences and great information to offer, and you make an impact in people's lives doing what you are doing now, please keep that in mind. The quality of your posts is phenomenal, and your level of honesty and willingness to share your experiences is what touches people. I know you have touched many lives and you are a key member of the Sober Living community, and that is what is important.

w0w, I just want you to know that if you stick around and keep posting in the helpful way you have there is a *really* strong possibility of your being selected next time we need to replace or add a position to SL. Basically it came down to choosing between two candidates in the voting process. We decided to just go with only opening one slot up, as that was the need at the time.

If you keep up with your good work around the site and SL in particular I dont see why you wouldn't make it next time. You did make it to the final round of deliberations, so to speak. You should know we took your application very seriously. If there had been a need for more than only one new staff member in SL you would have been chosen along with More aux.

I feel for you though man. It only makes sense that you would feel let down considering that you take your involvement with the community seriously and to heart. That is why we took your application so seriously.

It wasn't an easy decision going with Moreaux and not yourself. Hiring and firing is always the most challenging, most difficult part of the job.

Know that the SL staff really appreciates and values your involvementt, commitment and maturity when it comes to our little corner of BL here. I hope you stick around mate! <3

Kinda. MBC is addressing some personal stuff at the moment and we decided it would be best to take on another team member so as to help me not get too overwhelmed (it happens rather easily, I am quite the delicate flower). We are holding MBC's spot if and when he is ready to start getting active again, whenever he feels ready. If you want to drop him a line to say hi and give him your support I have a feeling he would appreciate it.

And for the record, moding is a lot of fun at times, but also a real PITA at others. Regular BLers contribute just as much as mods can, although in many cases they contribute more so. Mod duties are limited to administrative often rather bureaucratic tasks. It leaves a lot less time for contributions that are more less stressful. Not to say it isn't 100% worth the commitment to have the opportunity to give back my my chosen corner of the interwebs, just that it isn't all shits and giggles either.

You gotta be kidding me..
I'm sorry but that's pretty screwed up. Why even bother doing applications when you don't even pick new users for moderators. I have helped many people on this forum and honestly being rejected for the second time in a row is a huge slap in the face. Great work guys. What a low blow.

ToothPasteDog and ManBoyChef were not moderators when they were selected for Sober Living, and I was not a moderator when I was selected for TDS. The last time there was a SL mod position open for SL I was a mod for TDS and was not selected - ToothPasteDog and ManBoyChef were both selected and again, they were not mods.

Tbh does it really matter if you are a mod or not, as long as you write quality posts it will speak for itself. Seems like a whole lot of time you have to devote as well. If I can help even just 1 person with my posts on here then I would consider it time well spent.

Sorry again for over reacting. I will continue to offer advice and support here on the forums. I have been on an emotional rollercoaster since i have been off heroin. Thanks for baring with me. Much love.

No worries my friend, I know what it is like! How have you been doing recently dealing with life post withdrawal?

I'm so glad to hear from you! I've been wondering how you've been doing as well - a lot has changed quickly for you, and it sounds like for the better. You said you moved to Charlotte - how did you manage to get out of town with your legal situation (though I'm so glad you left, I think that's going to be a tremendous help to you). How are you feeling after withdrawal?

Sorry again for over reacting. I will continue to offer advice and support here on the forums. I have been on an emotional rollercoaster since i have been off heroin. Thanks for baring with me. Much love.

w0w0mg you are much appreciated. I'm sorry that you've been on an emotional roller coaster. <3

I had a fantastic lawyer that got everything thrown out due to bad paperwork. It's awesome.

And thank you herbavore. :)