• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS I’m checking back into psych and addictions inpatient soon.

Opi_Kid_Rock

Bluelighter
My bipolar type 2 and anxiety has been through the roof. I’ll be checking into psych and addictions inpatient services in the coming days. I can not take on my new job and function close to anything that resembles normalcy in daily life. Will apply for Government Assistance while in there. Couldn’t hold down a job longer than 3 months all year.

How has Lithium treatment helped those with bi-polar 2 and what damage has it caused you or will cause you in the future. I’m considering that form of treatment.

Last edited:
It’s pretty quiet around here today/tonight (depending where you are)

Want to wish you well and best of luck for your treatment!

There’s a few threads discussing the diff medications for bipolar that you can probably draw good info from, I personally haven’t tried lithium.
It’s an older drug, but lots of people (particularly those with a history of drug use) report great results.
My cousin loved it for treating his mania but didn’t like the fact he didn’t feel much of anything on it.

I been on lithium carbonate for years now without any side effects or damage i can detect. It seems to help without really effecting me in any noticable way which i like because i dont feel sedated or on a psychoactive drug. However, in retrotzpect i
Tend to be much more stabilized with my mood.

May I ask, what kind of treatment is used to treat the depressive aspects of bi-polar type 2?

Lamictal is a great stabilizer that hits depression well, IME.

I have also tried ECT. Don't know how i felt about it because they took me off lithium to do it and i was suicidal the whole time, lol.

My bipolar type 2 and anxiety has been through the roof. I’ll be checking into psych and addictions inpatient services in the coming days. I can not take on my new job and function close to anything that resembles normalcy in daily life. Will apply for Government Assistance while in there. Couldn’t hold down a job longer than 3 months all year.

How has Lithium treatment helped those with bi-polar 2 and what damage has it caused you or will cause you in the future. I’m considering that form of treatment.
Hey sorry you're going through it. I have a family member with BPD type 2 and from what I'm aware of in the past, she used to take depakote and she was a lot more stable with that than without it. The last time we were in touch or had a relationship or whatever, she was trying to get free from all the medications. She has always played with her meds and it never turns out good. I think lithium is a good option, but the dosage is so high. I read somewhere that the amt they prescribe on a pharmaceutical level is toxic. Did you go to the treatment facility yet? What are you looking for exactly? A non toxic way of getting and staying stable?

Hey sorry you're going through it. I have a family member with BPD type 2 and from what I'm aware of in the past, she used to take depakote and she was a lot more stable with that than without it. The last time we were in touch or had a relationship or whatever, she was trying to get free from all the medications. She has always played with her meds and it never turns out good. I think lithium is a good option, but the dosage is so high. I read somewhere that the amt they prescribe on a pharmaceutical level is toxic. Did you go to the treatment facility yet? What are you looking for exactly? A non toxic way of getting and staying stable?
My moods and anxiety have been so extreme both ways that whether the treatments are toxic or not, I’m willing to take them because I am currently being mentally tortured.

Where are you located? There's a really good psychiatrist where i used to live. He would be the only one I would trust for psychiatric meds outside of benzos and amphetamines. He uses the safest treatment modalities by keeping doses low but keeps the symptoms gone. He's the dude that stopped lobotomies & surgeries they were doing in the 70's. He is the reason for a lot of the warnings and black box labels that the FDA has report.Gosh what the hell is his name.. sorry i'm having a brain fart..

Dr. Breggin ...that's his name. https://breggin.com/ http://www.drpeterbregginmd.com/#about

He doesn't accept insurance obviously because he isn't prescribing the way they tell him to. Kinda expensive. But, it's well worth the money when it comes to having a good quality life. That's how i see it.

My moods and anxiety have been so extreme both ways that whether the treatments are toxic or not, I’m willing to take them because I am currently being mentally tortured.
Oh God help us... I'm so sorry you are suffering this way :( Why haven't you gone to the treatment place you mentioned? Are you manic or have you crashed. my aunt describes the lows after the mania high as a black depression. I can never say that I have felt tortured like that... well, actually. anywayzz call that dr and speak to his wife, Ginger if you can to find out what you can take. He isn't going to suggest anything dangerous he is all about doing things without damaging people.
I have been in a place similar to you when i was getting off all the psych meds. I can;t even tell you the things I was taking and I probably have harmed myself several times. I was in such a horrendous state of psychological pain with things that had happened in my life and then having my neurotransmitters and def my hormones too being unbalanced, seriously I'm surprised i'm not dead. I had to taper myself because the dumb dr i was seeing years back knew how to write a script and that's about it. I did the best I could with tapering myself, but it was a difficult time. I often took a lot of things to knock myself out. Melatonin, gaba, antihistimines whatever made me somewhat sedated. It's not a good place
I think you should go get treatment asap. If it's possible of course

Lamictal is a great stabilizer that hits depression well, IME.

I have also tried ECT. Don't know how i felt about it because they took me off lithium to do it and i was suicidal the whole time, lol.
I have heard that initially ECT is helpful. It jolts (for real) your brain into another state. but I think it must do harm and it isn't a long term solution. Your body will always try to find homeostasis after those treatments. You might or might not feel better.

Where are you located? There's a really good psychiatrist where i used to live. He would be the only one I would trust for psychiatric meds outside of benzos and amphetamines. He uses the safest treatment modalities by keeping doses low but keeps the symptoms gone. He's the dude that stopped lobotomies & surgeries they were doing in the 70's. He is the reason for a lot of the warnings and black box labels that the FDA has report.Gosh what the hell is his name.. sorry i'm having a brain fart..

Dr. Breggin ...that's his name. https://breggin.com/ http://www.drpeterbregginmd.com/#about

He doesn't accept insurance obviously because he isn't prescribing the way they tell him to. Kinda expensive. But, it's well worth the money when it comes to having a good quality life. That's how i see it.
I live in Canada and was admitted and released from the inpatient centre 4.5 months ago. I promised that I would seek help after moving and settling down. But I never sought help and I’ve denied that I had any problems at all ( it’s a shameful/male ego pride thing for me). Lost a job after 3 months employed acting both manic and depressed on the job and being judged by that despite exceeding performance standards. No lawsuit was possible said an Attorney. Turned down a demeaning job yesterday and decided to get help in inpatient again but this time not fighting the system and not telling myself that nothing is wrong with me while self-medicating with street procurred pills of all sorts to alter my moods. Tiered of it....

I’m double guessing myself but can I REALLY function normally in society at the moment. I’m afraid to be honest.

My bipolar type 2 and anxiety has been through the roof.
I never sought help and I’ve denied that I had any problems at all ( it’s a shameful/male ego pride thing for me)
I’m afraid to be honest.
If I had to guess, I'd say it seems that you are aware of the suffering that the disorder brings you but are struggling to really accept that you may need help in dealing with it. I'm not sure what has changed from the time that you made this post to today, maybe it is part of the disorder, maybe it's some fear or avoidance of having to admit and deal with the issue. Maybe it's something entirely different, either way, based on this thread and some of your other threads that I've read, I think you would be making a good decision to seek treatment. I would think inpatient might be the best route if it isn't going to hurt you financially, but even intensive outpatient would be a good option as well.

I don't think there is anything shameful in asking for help when you need it. Sure, as a grown man, it might be embarrassing to ask for help to change a tire if I didn't know how, but I think it'd be far more embarrassing to just ignore it and keep driving on a flat until I'm riding on metal, at which point I'd have no option but to call for help after causing more damage. Of course, it's much easier(for most) to figure out how to change a tire on your own than it is to learn how to deal with disorders on your own. Changing a tire can be learned in a 5 minute video, where as learning to deal with disorders can take years of learning, growth, and probably many mistakes along the way.

Maybe if you try to look at it as your disorder is what is impeding your ability to function normally in society, rather than YOU are struggling to function normally in society. It's a subtle difference in phrasing, but it can have pretty big implications. Rather than looking at yourself as the problem, look at what really is the problem- the disorder. While it is your responsibility to deal with the disorder, you are so much more than just one aspect of your life, and even though it may be taking over every aspect currently, it doesn't always have to be that way. You can heal and grow, you are not static in nature- humans are constantly changing.

I live in Canada and was admitted and released from the inpatient centre 4.5 months ago. I promised that I would seek help after moving and settling down. But I never sought help and I’ve denied that I had any problems at all ( it’s a shameful/male ego pride thing for me). Lost a job after 3 months employed acting both manic and depressed on the job and being judged by that despite exceeding performance standards. No lawsuit was possible said an Attorney. Turned down a demeaning job yesterday and decided to get help in inpatient again but this time not fighting the system and not telling myself that nothing is wrong with me while self-medicating with street procurred pills of all sorts to alter my moods. Tiered of it....
Good.. this is great news! Gosh, wish more people could be honest with themselves like you have chosen to be. I think a lot of people get so accustomed to certain patterns of disease due to the frequency of it, that healthy and balanced feels odd. The highs and lows became the new normal. So glad you are doing what you need to do for you. ;)🤩

I’m double guessing myself but can I REALLY function normally in society at the moment. I’m afraid to be honest.
You answer your own question above.
It didn't sound like you were able to function. I'm sure you tried your best, but the symptoms were too much. What is the struggle? Admitting that you need help? & if so, what positive has come out of that lately? IDK... just some things to think about.