View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

(hyper)Sensitization to Serotonergic Psychedelics

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Have you ever experienced extreme sensitization to psychedelics (specifically serotonergic variety)?

I am recently now the last year or so hyper sensitized to them...anything small will send me into full trip. no stop. Very wild visuals on doses that should be threshold even!

I've been able to disable this sensitization (accidentally!) by dosing repeatedly DMT, over and over. But, if I take a more relaxed use then it comes back strong.

I talked with an older friend of mine who has used psychedelics for many years...he claims this happens to most people at one time or another that use psychedelics for many years in a row...

Do you follow this? 8o

I suppose it could be a good thing but it makes me somewhat alarmed...

I haven't really tripped lately (for other reasons I suppose) but over the last little while I just go with the flow and if I need to trip then I adjust dosages to what a baby might take for a +3 8o

kisses,
samadhi

When you're sober do you have any symptoms of HPPD? Perhaps after years of tripping baseline isn't quite baseline. Like starting a 100m dash from 70m in. =)

For me the pendulum has swung both ways. I've experienced both ridiculous tolerance to psychedelics (particularly the visual aspects) and extreme sensitization ... I would say I am much more sensitive than when I was new to psychedelics to the fact that my consciousness is off-baseline, but I am more able to control, or to handle, the effects that come with an altered state, sometimes to the point at which I can catch myself no longer really being impressed by them ... which is always a sign that I need to take a break. However, with experience, I find that I can turn the trip, particularly the more mental aspects of it, "on" and "off," just by willing it ... turn it "on" by closing my eyes, meditating, thinking deep thoughts, playing the right music, and "off" by concentrating on material reality ... this is an ability that came through lots of use, and it can go either way ... towards sensitization or desensitization. But I can't really say I've experienced sensitization, though, not how you seem to be referring to it. However, if I take a low dose of LSD (very low, like a few tens of micrograms), I definitely FEEL it, and when I was new to tripping, the subtle effects might have been lost on me. This is sort of a different phenomenon, though. Ultimately I think it has a lot to do with the general headspace you are in at the time and your attitude towards psychs and your expectations of them.

I get this with cannabis, but not so far with psychedelics.

well its useful from an economic standpoint (if you factor in the time to create whatever I'm consuming with the price I paid...I conserve some of those 'units' (huzzah!)

but its something i was alerted to and wondered about...it started maybe two years ago...I kept getting more sensitive to psychedelics (and this was in a period of heavy use but also heavy growth mentally/personally)...

I'm not overly negative about the change...or overly positive...it just is what it is...its something to watch out for I guess.

I think on a certain level I was trying to let people know also that this could happen to them...so if it happens don't keep beating yourself over the head with your regular doses (like I did hahaha :D) but lower your dosage and work from there...

<3

I also can't help rule out the possibility that this didn't occur because of some very intense trips I had (sprinkled out over different times) combining psychedelics with nootropics of various kinds (hydergine, piracetam, choline donators like DMAE and lecithin). Some of these trips I felt my brain go into like 'warp speed' or some craziness...where my thoughts became very fast and foreign to their usual content. Felt like I triggered something with drugs!

^If I had to muster a guess, I would say that is probably the cause. Combining psychedelics with nootropics is completely unexplored and unresearched territory; we really have no idea what the potential outcomes might be.

Personally I have felt pretty scared at times from the sheer intensity of LSD + hydergine + piracetam + choline (haha now that I write that down, that combination does seem excessive and ridiculous). I felt like I was searing pathways into my brain with a hot poker; it was just too much ya know. I also have never really been the same; not that every psychedelic experience doesn't change you, but combining LSD with nootropics has permanently changed the way my brain works: colors are more saturated, I'm constantly in a borderline-tripping mindset.....in a lot of ways I've never fully "come down." It doesn't affect my functioning, but it certainly has changed my life in tangible ways.

I always recommend that people exercise mad caution with LSD + nootropics.

Jeez, am I the only one who considers using any of the following (Piracetam, Hydergine, DMAE, Lecithin, Rhodiola, SAM-e) with a psychedelic quite pleasant and mentally smooth and not at all overwhelming? I'm often hearing of people having bad freakouts from taking acid, 2CE, etc. with stuff like Piracetam or Hydergine and these kinds of combos bring me nothing but extreme pleasure.

Sometimes folks make it sound like preloading on certain nootropics then taking certain psychedelics will guarantee an overwhelmingly intense trip when in my opinion the freakouts from these combos are prob. mainly due to set and setting moreso than simply a case of if you take such and such nootropic with such and such psychedelic you're guaranteed a chaotic trip.

Really wish I had access to Aya, DMT, Sally or Amanita muscaria as these strike me as some of the only psychs left that can make me have exciting breakthroughs. The usual Tryptamines and Phenethylamines have me quite bored the last few years and feeling way too grounded in reality, a real lack of ego death :(

^ amanitas really didn't provide me any insight. just a drunken blur of vomit and sleeping with some pretty unusual visuals.

^It depends. They certainly carry choline, lecithin, all sorts of vitamins etc.; basically all the "support" you need. However for piracetam hydergine etc. the internet is really the only source. Piracetam can be found for around 3 cents a gram if you buy in bulk.

... Sourcing nootropics is still sourcing ...

In terms of nootropics I rate Piracetam, Hydergine, Deprenyl and Modafinil the highest. I hear Picamilon is great as well. And I love Phenibut, though, technically that isn't a nootropic, but it's quite relaxing in a low dose Benzo/GHB/Kava sorta way. I bet Lyrica is great for relaxation as well.

Nootropics I want to try but haven't (or haven't enough to count): Vinpocetine, Vasopressin, Idebenone, Centrophenoxine, Huperzine-A

You also might enjoy adaptogens (Rhodiola, Korean Red Ginseng, Eleuthero, Muira puama, Catuaba, Maca) if you want to get your brain thinking more sharply and your body feeling stronger and healthier.

Japanese Sweet Flag and Kanna are lovely as well :)

Good luck and one day you will feel SOOO much healthier if you find the right daily regimen of health drugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
No source discussion, guys, and this rule holds for nootropics just as much as drugs. Please do not link to places that sell ANYTHING.

^ just to clarify, you can link to sites that sell products that would be in the interest of harm reduction (like wheel filters or some such)

but no drug sourcing on BL (even ethnobotanicals)

^ yes

(wow, within a day or two, I'll no longer be tagging up other people's posts in red and e-shouting "no sourcing!!!" lol.)

^If I had to muster a guess, I would say that is probably the cause. Combining psychedelics with nootropics is completely unexplored and unresearched territory; we really have no idea what the potential outcomes might be.

Personally I have felt pretty scared at times from the sheer intensity of LSD + hydergine + piracetam + choline (haha now that I write that down, that combination does seem excessive and ridiculous). I felt like I was searing pathways into my brain with a hot poker; it was just too much ya know. I also have never really been the same; not that every psychedelic experience doesn't change you, but combining LSD with nootropics has permanently changed the way my brain works: colors are more saturated, I'm constantly in a borderline-tripping mindset.....in a lot of ways I've never fully "come down." It doesn't affect my functioning, but it certainly has changed my life in tangible ways.

I always recommend that people exercise mad caution with LSD + nootropics.

do you still take hydergine regularly?

^Not at the moment, but that's mainly because I'm waiting for my next shipment to come (I really need to email those mofos, its been over 2 weeks now that I think about it).

Personally I don't like to take hydergine too regularly, as it could have some cardiotoxic side-effects. I do take piracetam and choline daily, along with vitamins made from whole food sources and plenty of fruits and good foods, which I find has helped my concentration and fluid intelligence drastically as well. :)