• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Hydrocodone refills in NY

Hi Tommy, I remember we visited this very issue in a series of posts a year or so ago. Well the hammer has now DEFINITELY come down in NY. Like I said it is not a major discomfort for me because my doctor is close by and I have insurance with relatively low co-pays but for people who can't really afford twelve doctors office visits a year and or have a difficult time or long journey to reach their doctors office this is really bad news. What really concerns me is that now that they have got the pendulum swinging in their direction, how far will the zealots go in making the lives of pain patients even more miserable. What's next, daily visits to the clinic for vicodin? I'm sure their are more than a couple of legislators that would do away with pk's altogether if they had their way. New York has this great liberal reputation but the legislature is controlled by a bunch of tight ass puritans from upstate and out on the Island.

Well OD is actually between Basic Drug and Advanced Drug. The forum fields intermediate level drug topics and scheduling definitely isn't that. Being one of if not the busiest sub forums they have to adhere to a much more specific agenda than we do in NASADD.

There are trends growing to make many drugs more difficult to obtain because of abuse and diversion.

Full story: http://www.ashp.org/menu/News/PharmacyNews/NewsArticle.aspx?id=3862
Pharmacy News
FDA Advisers Support Rescheduling of Hydrocodone Products
{March 1, 2013, AJHP News]
Kate Traynor
BETHESDA, MD 13 February 2013—A multiyear Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) effort to stem the abuse of hydrocodone-containing combination products received a boost in January when FDA advisers voted 19–10 in favor of reclassifying these products from Schedule III to Schedule II.

My primary physician will not refill xanax or hydrocodone now without a visit.

There are some FDA advisors who want to completely remove hydrocodone because it has acetaminophen in it and people are too stupid not to take too much acetaminophen in one day with all the combination products on the market along with their good ole bottle of tylenol. I fuckin hate having to legislate stupidity! That is what evolution is about. The dumbasses kill themselves off. SHIT.

As far as thread closings... the rule is: if I find it interesting and want to post to it, it is closed. :D :D :D

I really never even realized that the main drug discussion was over here at NSASDD........I thought jeeez if OD isn't the right place to discuss opioids wtf? Oh well all's well that ends well because I'm enjoying a part of the board that I had previously totally ignored so moving the thread had an unintended consequence that has turned out delightfully!

The post was specifically about NY. OD isn't for specific regional posts, that's what this forum is for.

I also thought it was a legit question. But I've seen so many get closed as soon as a script question comes up. Also, please note that I did my best to answer the question. I'm GLAD it wasn't closed so the OP can get some answers.

OK so here's a new question now that this bump to schedule II in NY for hydrocodone has manifested: what kind of tracking system is in place in NY; specifically, the pharmacy will no longer refill my scrip until day 29 of a 30 day supply so can I go to a fifferent NY pharmacy if I want an early refill or do they cross track that? Can I go out of state and get a refill. Some day at the rate we're going you're going to be standing in line for your daily dose.

Sometimes I wish they would dispense weekly so I wouldn't run out 2-3 weeks early.

OK so here's a new question now that this bump to schedule II in NY for hydrocodone has manifested: what kind of tracking system is in place in NY; specifically, the pharmacy will no longer refill my scrip until day 29 of a 30 day supply so can I go to a fifferent NY pharmacy if I want an early refill or do they cross track that? Can I go out of state and get a refill. Some day at the rate we're going you're going to be standing in line for your daily dose.

Well NY has the prescription monitoring program so all pharmacies can see what you got at the other ones, and all doctors can check this too. I think that you can still get it filled up to 3 days before it is out though, just like it would be if you were going to the same pharmacy and using your insurance.

As for going out of state to get a refill, I don't know what you mean by that. All hydrocodone prescriptions in NY will be written out saying zero refills, so there would be none to had if you were to take the prescription to another state. Now if you see a doctor in another state and he writes out that you get a few refills then I don't think that you can have it filled in another state. I know someone that was in a car accident in NJ and went to the hospital there and was written a prescription for percocets and was able to get it filled at a small mom n pop pharmacy in NY, but I think that most would reject the prescription, especially if it becomes a regular thing.

I sure hope this doesn't make it's way to the west coast. I think it's BS. Someone mentioned a pharmacy getting shot up for hydro. Won't this make it more likely for people to shoot up pharmacy's? More ppl used to sending an email to request a refill for norco's, now have to get a written scrip. I think it's super stupid. ppl getting high want oxy anyways. What about the poor fellow that looses his meds?
I know someone that parked in the wrong spot and they towed his car with almost a month supply of his meds ( just happened to be norco). after a slight hassle from the doc, a refill was ordered. What happens in that situation?

I see a lot of ny'ers kicking pretty soon.

You better guard your perscription narcotics with your life because if lost or stolen you need Jesus Christ himself to get it refilled. The whole monitoring system sucks. For example someone I know missed an appointment so they went to another dr that gave them a 1 week supply of norco then after seeing the primary dr the pharmacy refused to fill the rx, and accused my friend of dr shopping now neither dr will write scripts.

You better guard your perscription narcotics with your life because if lost or stolen you need Jesus Christ himself to get it refilled. The whole monitoring system sucks. For example someone I know missed an appointment so they went to another dr that gave them a 1 week supply of norco then after seeing the primary dr the pharmacy refused to fill the rx, and accused my friend of dr shopping now neither dr will write scripts.

Yea I'm always hesitant when switching doctors to get the same meds scripted for that reason. You have to make sure that you let the doctors and pharmacist know the deal going into it. When I switched psychiatrists a few months ago the new one was going to script me my valium but not my adderall for the first month, but I still had 1 appointment left with the original psychiatrist that would script me both so I didn't bother getting just the valium from the first doctor since it would be tough explaining why I had one psychiatrist script me valium and then a week later another one script me adderall (I wouldn't be filling my valium too since I just got it from the other psych).

^ my friend doesn't understand how the system works and dosent listen to anyone.(yes it's a female) she of course got into a huge argument with the pharmacist which didn't help her at all. I wanted to say I told you so but I didn't.

thanks for the replies. Tommy to be more specific, I mean if I get a written script and take it out of state to get it filled (because it's too early to get it filled in NY) will that get me flagged. I'm just trying to understand the rules. Nobody knows not even my doctor. His Holiness the Dalai Lama says it is important to know the rules in order that one may break them properly. Harm reduction comes from breaking them properly :)