The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Hydrocodone refills in NY

Master_Khan

Bluelighter
OK since NY bumped hydrocodone up to schedule II in February we have gone from no refills, to written script necessary each month, to now the doctor wants to put you in a room each month and charge you for an appointment. Wondering if this is everybody's experience or if this is just a practice of selected medical groups /practices. BTW not crying just yet, plenty aware that people in some countries and places can't even get hydrocodone at all, but feel bad for people with no insurance or high co-pays that are really getting beat by this drug war induced BS.

Seems like thats the case. Also no refills before 30 days. No exceptions. Even if the doc writes the script early. Pretty sure this threads getting closed though. No legal/script questions are allowed, I think.

Had no idea this was a forbidden topic. Is there anyplace on BL for this type of discussion?

I'm not sure there is anymore. I think it's due to variances that cause speculation. In this case, I am IN my too, and know several pain patients. But I haven't fully reviewed the laws. Also, this may stay open. I've never seen your specific questions addressed.

yes this is not about hook ups or doctor shopping or anything like that so I hope it stays open too, this is just about sharing experiences in dealing with the ever changing landscape of prescription drug laws in general & NY in particular. At the rate we're going opioid patients in NY are going to be standing in line at Methadone clinics on a daily basis waiting for their pills to be dispensed. At this point in time there is a frantic outcry over the problem of prescription pill abuse that is being used by the drug war legislators to really tighten the noose around the neck of pain patients.

This is not OD material. I'll move it to NASADD and see what they wanna do with it since it's a regional discussion. Still might get closed.

OD--->NASADD

Ok...gotcha...the poster above said it would be closed I thought. Sorry about misunderstanding!

Also...OP see this page. It is also from the state of NY govt website

http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/1477/

Like in many other states, you do not have to go to office every month to be seen and pick up your RX. There are no refills but a doc can post date a few scripts and hand them to you with the words " do not fill before + date" on them.
They can also call in scripts for schedule II drugs.

Ok...gotcha...the poster above said it would be closed I thought. Sorry about misunderstanding!

Also...OP see this page. It is also from the state of NY govt website

http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/1477/

Like in many other states, you do not have to go to office every month to be seen and pick up your RX. There are no refills but a doc can post date a few scripts and hand them to you with the words " do not fill before + date" on them.
They can also call in scripts for schedule II drugs.

11. Practitioners must date controlled substance prescriptions on the day that they sign the prescription.

True: The date on a controlled substance prescription must be the date the prescription was actually signed by the practitioner. Controlled substance prescriptions can not be pre-dated or post-dated.

Not in NY...

Also, Federal law requires Schedule 2 drugs use a special pad, filled out in triplicate, and cannot be phoned in for a 30 day or more supply. That is part of the uproar of the proposals to move hydrocodone from a schedule 3 to a schedule 2 drug.

NY is going bonkers crazy with this shit. You can't even smoke in line waiting to get your refills! :D :D :D

^ that being said. why the fuck do you yorkers live up there? all your prices are jacked up from cigs, to housing and everything else and now now you cant even get some vics w/o someone getting there panties in a wad. i dont even waanna visit NY much less live there. no thank you.

Really I am wondering if everyone in NY who is prescribed hydrocodone is being forced into a monthly office visit, or if this is the practice that is being adopted by the medical group that my doctor belongs to. I can see that NY has moved hydrocodone to schedule II thus no refills, but is the decision to nail you for an office visit every month a subjective one ($$$) or is it mandatory?

This isn't remotely against the rules. Yall need to know the rules before accusing someone of breaking them. Carry on.

I apologize, super sorry...I absolutely read that incorrectly....what a dope!8o

I am usually very careful about making sure before posting so that I never tell anyone wrong info.

Well that really sucks, even a lot of other states you can have schedule IIs post dated. This worries me as these are the exact laws they want to have changed at a national level (and others) that I was talking about in the thread "some docs and DEA want to limit pain med prescriptions to no more than 90 days", among other things. If New York state passed this it could set a dangerous precedent and encourage other laws to be made. I believe that the PROP petition was signed by New York State Commissioner of Health, Thomas A Farley. So obviously he is working hard to get it changed in NY and everywhere else.

I wondered why that poster said it would be closed...I didn't think there was a rule regarding this! I'm glad that was clarified. :)

Last edited:
This isn't remotely against the rules. Yall need to know the rules before accusing someone of breaking them. Carry on.

Thank you Brutus. I must admit when someone started up with the against the rules thing I had that creepy feeling I used to get at DF, lol.

I really never even realized that the main drug discussion was over here at NSASDD........I thought jeeez if OD isn't the right place to discuss opioids wtf? Oh well all's well that ends well because I'm enjoying a part of the board that I had previously totally ignored so moving the thread had an unintended consequence that has turned out delightfully!

Really I am wondering if everyone in NY who is prescribed hydrocodone is being forced into a monthly office visit, or if this is the practice that is being adopted by the medical group that my doctor belongs to. I can see that NY has moved hydrocodone to schedule II thus no refills, but is the decision to nail you for an office visit every month a subjective one ($$$) or is it mandatory?

I'm sure that most doctors will make you attend monthly visits in order to get your hydrocodone prescription now, especially since the guy that shot up the pharmacy in NY did so for hydrocodone, so doctors are going to want to cover their asses since the doctor that was prescribing that guy his hydrocodone is being sued.

I'm sure that some doctors will post-date prescriptions for some of their regular long-time patients, but the majority of the people being prescribed hydrocodone will have to go to the doctor each month for it. I had actually thought that they had done away with refills for hydrocodone a few years ago since NY likes to make up their own little rules when it comes to prescribing drugs that are commonly abused.

They don't allow refills for benzos in NY even though they are schedule IV, and I thought they were doing the same thing with hydrocodone for a while but I've heard different things from different people. I think that you were allowed to get refills on the hydrocodone, but most doctors made you come in monthly anyway if you were grouped in with their other pain patients who were coming in monthly for their schedule II prescriptions. I guess that makes sense from a pain clinics perspective since most of them are strict with their rules.

Seems like thats the case. Also no refills before 30 days. No exceptions. Even if the doc writes the script early. Pretty sure this threads getting closed though. No legal/script questions are allowed, I think.
See below quote;

Exactly. Members need to let the moderators do their jobs. If you want to help out then report the post that you feel may be breaking the rules instead of making a post about how a thread is against the rules when that may or may not be the case.

In Michigan I use to be able to get 5 refills on Norcos but 3 months ago when I went for my 6 month visit he could only give me 2 refills. But on adderall it has always been paper scripts with the date he wrote it and he would write do not fill till whatever date was 30 days from the last one. I know this has nothing to do with ny but might be helpful to someone out there.