Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Howard to withhold welfare from drug offenders

rogan

Bluelighter
People convicted of criminal offences involving heroin, cocaine or amphetamines would have welfare payments quarantined under a new scheme announced by Prime Minister John Howard today.

Mr Howard says under the plan, payments would be quarantined for at least a year and the Government would fund extra job training for people with substance abuse problems.

He says it is an extension of the Coalition's zero tolerance approach to drugs.

"It's not right that people should have control of taxpayer money when they have been convicted of such offences," he said.

"This will mean that they will not be able to spend the money on those sorts of drugs, or indeed, for that matter, on alcohol and tobacco."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/18/2094043.htm

I consider myself a liberal (libertarian) but sorry mr. howard this is where I draw the line. So glad your fucked johnny.

What type of a retard wouldn't realise this is just going to send crime rates sky high.

I wouldn't like to pass judgement on this until I know exactly what the plan entails. Just cutting off people's benefits is not going to work, obviously, but if they're planning on replacing the cash with food vouchers, and other vouchers that can be used for chemists and other non-negotiable services then it might just do some good?

Thats fucking retarted, being convicted of such offenses myself I would of never got were I am now without wellfare. I would of gone straight back to selling and ended up in jail. What do these people think with? 8)

rogan said:

I consider myself a liberal (libertarian) but sorry mr. howard this is where I draw the line. So glad your fucked johnny.

What type of a retard wouldn't realise this is just going to send crime rates sky high.

I think Howard can answer that question with the same answer for another question right here.

Maybe the PM shouldn't get his government cheque if he seems to be on drugs too ;)

'Risk of more crime' if drug offenders' welfare cut

The Federal Government's key advisory group on drugs says it wants to see more details on the Coalition's plan to quarantine the welfare payments of convicted drug offenders.

Prime Minister John Howard has announced that a re-elected Coalition government would take control of at least 12 months' worth of welfare payments for criminals convicted of offences involving heroin, cocaine or amphetamines.

Australian National Council on Drugs executive director Gino Vumbaca says there is a risk that drug users would resort to crime or other means to pay for their habits.

He says if the policy is to be effective it would need to be accompanied by extra funding for treatment and rehabilitation programs.

"What we have to be careful of here is often there are good intentions for policy, but you have to look at potential or unintended consequences," he said.

"What we don't want to do is make a policy change where we end up placing children or families at more risk or the community at more risk from levels of crime.

"Australia needs to dramatically introduce its access to treatment so that people with substance abuse can seek assistance."

Greens leader Bob Brown says the Coalition's plan targets users instead of drug traffickers.

"This seems to be [going to] cut them off, leave them isolated, leave them more desperate," he said.

But Senator Brown has backed another part of the Coalition's proposed drug crackdown, which would see extra employment assistance for those with substance abuse problems and a federal push for nationally consistent penalties for drug offences.

ABC Online

If its ever going to work, there must be drug diversion first and if they complete that, they're free to collect welfare. If they use up all drug cautions/diversions and there's obviously an issue where 85% if not all of their dole money goes on heroin or speed/ice or even weed. then i think they should make it work like job agencies do. (If you do not goto your job network that works through centrelink when you have an interview etc. or an interview at centrelink, you may be breached, which means less money, a fortnight or month of no pay, or cut off,, depending how many times you offend. Should be more like that if it is going to work.) So, they would be forced to attend sessions and possibly rehab all gocernment funded to keep their dole. If they don't attend a few times, then yes breach them but a year is severe, that will turn them into a bum who steals and robs people at knife point for a hit, their life will be so bad they wont care about anything but a fix, theyll start using worse methods of IV drug use, used needles, publiuc toilet tapwater, no filters etc..

Food stamps may work but they still have bills and rent to pay and some of these people just arent going to get jobs that easy for the long-term. people that are hooked to the gills, trackies all up their arms, doped out, or being on meth for a week then crash, do you think theyre going to keep a job?

At clubs I worked out, most would have Poker Machine promotions, because a lot of aboriginal, unemployed people and old people at the clubs went without food just to gamble and smoke and drink. I wonder where their kids were half the time. But to help this if someone say got a King or higher or say 2 x 10's on screen or some other pattern (a winning or non winning bet) would put their hand up and collect a ticket from staff roaming around before they pressed the next bet button. Which stopped them from spending as much time just pressing play... play... play... in a total hypnotic state, but when they left, they could trade their tickets in for vouchers at clothes stores like target or kmart. or goceries like bread, fresh refridgerated milk, canned goods, pasta, pasta sauces, noodles, pasta packets... all that kinda stuff where its very easy to prepare and it was always a success and funded by the local clubs and RSLs.

Yeah this idea is totally stupid , I know people who have been in and out of jail for years due to heroin addiction and other problems & they rely on the centrelink payments & if thats taken away they will go out and roll people or whatever they have to.

A better Idea would be if your on heroin or ice that you must seek treatment for the addiction to be able to still get centrelink payments ...

Keep cash from addicts' hands
By Alison Rehn, Political Reporter
November 19, 2007 12:00am

BUREAUCRATS would take control of the welfare payments of anyone convicted of a criminal drug offence if the Coalition is re-elected on Saturday.

Prime Minister John Howard said under the $20 million plan, anyone convicted of offences involving hard drugs - such as heroin, cocaine and amphetamines - would only be able to use their welfare cheques to pay the bills and buy food and other essentials.

"It's not right that people should have control of taxpayer money when they have been convicted of such offences," Mr Howard said.

"And this will mean they are not able to spend the money on those sorts of drugs or indeed, for that matter, on alcohol and tobacco."

The laws would affect welfare payments of 6000 people.

The laws represent an extension of the Government's tough rules applied to Aboriginal and family welfare payments which came into force earlier in the year.

In this case the Government quarantined just 50 per cent of the payments so recipients could spend the welfare on food and essential bills.

The states will have to provide Centrelink with details of people convicted of drug offences in their courts.

Centrelink would then quarantine 100 per cent of their welfare payments and immediately refer the person to rehabilitation services to help them quit drug habits.

The welfare quarantining will begin in December 2008 and cover anyone convicted of a drug offence from that date.

While the policy will initially cover convictions for drugs such as heroin, cocaine and amphetamines Mr Howard said it may be later extended to cover people using other drugs such as cannabis.

Under the plan payments would be put on welfare cards that could be used to purchase food at supermarkets.

Monthly interviews with case managers would ensure the essential bills of welfare recipients were paid regularly, the Coalition said. Mr Howard and Treasurer Peter Costello fronted the media together in Sydney yesterday to present a united front on their war on drugs.

"We want to send the most uncompromising message to the Australian public," Mr Howard said. "We are the zero tolerance Coalition when it comes to drugs."

Mr Howard revealed a Coalition government would expand employment assistance for people with substance abuse problems to help them get a job.

Eligibility for job capacity account services, which provide support to overcome barriers to work due to substance abuse, will be extended from 13 weeks to up to 26 weeks.

If elected, Mr Howard said he would also work with the state and territory governments to introduce nationally consistent penalties for illicit drug offences.

In total, the Coalition's new tough-on-drugs measures would cost $36 million over four years.

The Australian Medical Association president Dr Rosanna Capolingua said the AMA did not support schemes that punished drug users.

"Punitive measures for drug addicts are not really the answer," Dr Capolingua said.

"People who have a drug addiction actually need help, support and assistance as they are actually unwell."

Dr Capolingua said she had not seen details of the plan but suggested it may be more appropriate for drug dealers.

For drug users, education campaigns that sent a message that drugs were harmful and strong rehabilitation programs were needed, she said.

Daily Telegraph

We need a system where people are ensured they are fed, their children are fed and they are rehabilitated. I've said it for years - if you're a drug abuser, fuck oath they should place the money in the care of some new program that makes sure alcohol, tobacco and drugs cannot be bought on that money. That their rent is paid, there is food in the cupboard and so on.

I'm pretty sure this plan, along with colesmyer group or woolworthes would be more than encouraged in stead of druggos doing to places like st. vinnies and scabbing food vouchers coz they shot up their kids lunch money.

And if you do abuse drugs, hell, you're probably on PBS give them some valium so they can control themselves.

It's all really simple. Addiction is only 1/8 the problem.. the rest is how to fight it effectively so the people around that person do not come in harms way.

I don't see this being done to people with gambling problems, nor alcoholics.
What about people that commit domestic violence?

Prime Minister John Howard said under the $20 million plan, anyone convicted of offences involving hard drugs - such as heroin, cocaine and amphetamines - would only be able to use their welfare cheques to pay the bills and buy food and other essentials.

WTF is the $20 million for then

It doesnt cost $20,000,000 to cut off payments

Not to mention its a stupid idea Its obvious this would drive crime though the roof in drug heavy areas

Drug crime needs 'case-by-case approach'
November 19, 2007 - 10:32AM

Authorities should use a case-by-case approach to quarantining the welfare payments of convicted drug users and dealers, Labor leader Kevin Rudd says.

He was responding to Prime Minister John Howard's announcement on Sunday that a re-elected coalition government would take control of welfare payments made to criminals convicted of offences involving hard drugs.

Mr Howard said people convicted of offences involving heroin, cocaine or amphetamines would have their welfare payments quarantined for an initial one-year period, which could be extended in some circumstances.

Mr Rudd said on Monday that under a Labor policy, announced in July, drug-using parents whose behaviour is affecting their children's well-being could have their payments quarantined.

"We would ... quarantine welfare payments so that children under those circumstances are going to be properly housed, properly fed and properly looked after," Mr Rudd told ABC Radio.

"On the question of broader quarantining of welfare payments, we believe that the smart thing to do there is to take the advice of a combination of the police and the relevant health authorities as to what is best in individual circumstances."

Mr Rudd said Mr Howard's proposal was "full of holes" and lacked any concrete detail.

"Our approach to this is to make sure that we've got a tailored approach to individual circumstances which is based on the best law and order advice and the best advice of the health professionals."

Brisbane Times

All for it, but only because that means my brother would stop consuming all my food :) but then I guess I'd start to be more concerned of him hocking the television and other assorted electronics.

wow, thats a neat way of getting people back into the workforce- good ole economic rationalisation at its best

" if you're gunna do drugs, do it with your own money"

Anyone on centrelink payments or who knows about centrelink realise that the jump between getting off centrelink and earning a sustainable income is huge, when youre taking more money off people it will make it worse.

i think that the individualised cases may be a good start but whos values decrees if they are not looking after their kids, after the recent press i doubt DOCS or child protection could do it

Sorry, I was gonna quote
alot of
other people,
an' make it a post...
...but,
JESUS!!!

That Is Some FUCKED-UP PLANNING!

We ALL know why!

It's ineffectiveverythink!

Honesty, how many!

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

PEACE
BEFORE
I LOSE
MY
OPTIMO-
REALISM.

UnS

confused-smiley-012.gif

Talking from bad experience. This would tuirn me into stealing off my parents and dogging my friends (well associates) for a needle. This plan sucks.