• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How to tell if a shaman is legit or not?

Frydea

Bluelighter
Hello all, so me and my buddies were looking to try ayahuasca. We wanted to do it under the supervision of a shaman who knows what they are doing, as we expect to be debilitated for a couple days, from what I've read. However, none of us have the time or money to go to Peru to do this, so we found this guy through a mutual friend who says he can give us the full on ayahuasca experirnce in his cabin a few hours east of LA. Is there anyway we can know for sure that this guy is legit? Like anything we could ask him that only a shaman would know? Don't want a bunk, fake experirnce, or for the guy to rob us in our state. The guy is also charging us obviously but not as much as it would cost to go to Peru.

You could always buy syrian rue and DMT online, ayahuasca is like a $5 trip.

A shaman is more or less just a trippy? tripsitter. Just have a experienced friend with you to watch over you and you'll be fine.

I've never done it but I would want to get to know the shaman a bit first, get an idea of who they are and how they operate. If they are not engaging in this process then I would steer clear.

Have you taken other psychedelics before?

You could always buy syrian rue and DMT online, ayahuasca is like a $5 trip.

A shaman is more or less just a trippy? tripsitter. Just have a experienced friend with you to watch over you and you'll be fine.

By this statement I assume you just mean in plant form like Psychotria Viridis?

There's no way to actual buy synthetic pure DMT online I'm assuming as it's illegal??

(Not asking for a source, just asking if it's possible).

I've taken acid and shrooms before ya. And the guy is providing us with a place to do it, food that he may have to force feed us, and diapers lol and apparently will be chenting mystical shit over us while we trip out so I suppose that explains the cost. He's just some white boy from LA so it's not like he grew up in the forest or was born into shamanism he apparently learned about it at desert raves.

He is also taking on a legal risk, so charging is not unreasonable. Please avoid price discussion though, it is not permitted in PD.

It is possible to buy any drug on the internet but bluelight is not the place to discuss such matters. Whether it is extracted or synthetic makes no difference.

sounds like a load of shit...brew your own aya and pitch a tent in the woods and save yourself some money.

People here are too paranoid for their own good. Just spend time with this person and learn where they practice. You want a shaman that understand how to preform icaros in a healing manner.... It's not a requirement, but a good sign.

The best way to put it a real shaman will guide you to find your own path of truth where a fake shaman will try to guide you onto their path. I know that's hard to understand although I hope it helps.

Sounds like a terrible idea either way. If they are legit maybe they'd consider getting to know you in a public place a few times so you can get to know them. Maybe ask for references? Make sure you let someone know what you are going to do and where you are going to be and when you are supposed to be back.

images

If they are legit:
1) They don't call themselves a shaman.
2) They don't advertise their services in the media, or have a revolving door of participants with a high turnover (like the ayahuasca camps in South America).
3) There is no fee, or the fee is strictly related to the resource costs of setting up the session, not profit margins.
4) They have a respectful connection to an existing lineage that is unbroken, and were taught directly by someone (usually an elder) from that tradition, preferably being born into that lineage but not necessarily.
5) They should have direct concern and share wisdom about your personal and spiritual health, before, during, and after the session.

Why do you NEED a shaman....? The person only real person who can open you up, spiritually, is you. I don't believe in this new-age western obsession with ancient cultures and enlightenment, because they aren't my culture and I feel like most 'traditional' approaches nowadays just take advantage of gullible hippies.. I'm not saying you shouldn't believe it, just my 2 cents.

All of my eye-opening DMT trips have always been self guided. There's nothing a trip-sitter can do (for me, at least) other than talk me down and help me gain control. But when I'm on DMT, I don't want to gain control, I learn more when I let go.

If you have real ayahuasca, you won't have a fake experience. I'd be more concerned about putting my trust in someone I hardly know while I'm disoriented and tripping.

By this statement I assume you just mean in plant form like Psychotria Viridis?

There's no way to actual buy synthetic pure DMT online I'm assuming as it's illegal??

(Not asking for a source, just asking if it's possible).

Anything is possible, however I am sure they meant some plant containing DMT, as that would be much easier and much cheaper.

well a real shaman won't charge you so there is a sign

Bullcrap. So how's a shaman supposed to make money? Working landscaping on the side?

OP: Is this guy claiming he's a shaman? Or is he just providing you with an Ayahuasca experience. There's a big difference. You don't need to get all worked up about it if he's just providing.

Above poster is right.... Someone can brew you a perfect brew although that's not the same as someone who practices icaros and the meaning of each one developed over generations and generations of traditions and practice to guide your trip with an individualized icaros in response to your own energy level.

If they are legit:
1) They don't call themselves a shaman.
2) They don't advertise their services in the media, or have a revolving door of participants with a high turnover (like the ayahuasca camps in South America).
3) There is no fee, or the fee is strictly related to the resource costs of setting up the session, not profit margins.
4) They have a respectful connection to an existing lineage that is unbroken, and were taught directly by someone (usually an elder) from that tradition, preferably being born into that lineage but not necessarily.
5) They should have direct concern and share wisdom about your personal and spiritual health, before, during, and after the session.

I disagree with some of the above:

1) There is nothing about someone labelling themselves as a "shaman" that precludes them from being legit. It's just a label, like you could call yourself a psychologist, or a counsellor and definitely be legit. Or you could call yourself one and be a phony. It's just a label to help communicate that person's role in the world. Shaman is kind of a presumptuous title to give yourself though.
2) If someone is a pro, they do need to let people know and attract a clientele. I'm sure there are some high turnover ayahuasca camps with websites etc. that have benefitted a lot of people. Why not? But it is a good sign if someone doesn't need to advertise.
3) If someone is a pro, they need to charge you money, otherwise they shall grow lean and perish.
4) Totally agree here.
5) Agreed again.

I share sentiments with a lot of people on here that you don't need a shaman/teacher/guide for psychedelic journeys. I'm very allergic to the idea personally, because I see too much room for abuse, cult of personality etc. But I do believe that a lot of people have gained valuable guidance from ayahuasca shamans and the like, I think it's the sort of thing that could be very useful for some personality types. Just really be careful getting in to something like this. You need to get recommendations, try to meet the person, make sure you have a good gut feeling.

Edit: Just a thought about the whole money thing: If someone is doing "shaman" service for free it's almost more suspicious IMO. Everything we do has a motivation. There are very few people out there who are so enlightened that they are acting purely for the benefit of others. If someone is doing it for free there's a good chance their motivations are: Sex, Status, Ego and/or Power. All of which are sketchier IMO.

Last edited:
I guess the questions to ask are what can this guy offer you that a sober friend couldn't? Is what they offer worth the additional cost? On a side note I have figured if I was tripping hard and someone tried to take advantage of me I would go absolutely nuts or I would curl up in a ball......one extreme or the other. Lol. I only trip alone or with one close friend though. Never in crowds or anywhere but my own apartment. Maybe I should go to a concert or something but then it would feel recreational rather than spiritual.

Do not go with that guy to a an isolated cabin. He could be setting you up for a little slice and dice fun. There is no valid reason to have to go out in the woods or wherever to do the ayahausca thing. No reason you can't do it in your own home. Just read up about it and do it yourself. That dude sounds creepy. Probably a serial killer. Make sure you use a licensed Shaman if you need one, meaning an Indian, or "Native American", if you will. Some white dude can't give you the authentic Shaman experience. He's just some guy trying to bilk you out of a hefty sum, and then he's just gonna wing it. He'll probably read a couple websites so he'll know what to say to sound all Shamany, but he'll just be acting.

Last edited: