• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants How to tell a doctor you know from experience that meth is a better treatment for your ADHD than Adderall?

askhole

Bluelighter
I was given Adderall several months ago because my ADHD made it impossible to function. I stopped taking it after experimenting with dosage and timing for a few months, because:

1. Tweaking. Even on low doses, I’d be clicking my tongue and moving my jaw. I looked crazy.
2. Irritability. Every little thing became this agitating rage fuel. It did its job to keep me on task, but as soon as I had nothing to do but sit, I wanted to punch things.
3. Rage. Blind rage. After a few hours of irritability, it would eventually get to me and I’d be throwing tools across the shop, slamming shit around, you name it. The comedown made me so detached and angry.
4. Appetite. Could not eat for shit.
5. Headspace. In general I fear everyone hates me, but on Adderall my voice of reason completely vanished and I became convinced that every move I made was harshly judged; that I was a constant burden on everyone. Made much worse by my fits of rage.
5. Sleep. Taking a dose any later than noon kept me up until 2am on average.

But meth has none of these effects. I don’t get high from it, either. No tweaky ticks, no paranoia, no irritability at all, not even on the comedown.
I can eat, sleep, and relax without a constant “pep-talk” inner monologue.

But telling a doctor “hey doc I prefer full blown meth” seems like something they wouldn’t indulge. Something they’d sooner see as a huge red flag and never give me stimulants again — and I don’t want that to live in my medical records forever.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences?

In essense, you can't tell a doctor that you'd prefer methamphetamine (desoxyn). I mean you can, but the chance that they'll respond by prescribing it for you is almost zero.

My doctor randomly recommended desoxyn one day after years of seeing him, and he prescribed it. Wasn't a fan of desoxyn, it wasn't stimulating enough and made me feel spaced out. Plus my insurance refused to cover it, so I paid out of pocket for a month and then switched back to dextroamphetamine. Maybe try dextroamphetamine if you don't like adderall. It is smoother and less tweaky.

Yeah thats a ridiculous idea. If methamphetamine works better, it's way cheaper than adderall and probably easier to obtain atm. I don't use meth with any frequency, but the last gram i bought was cheaper than a 12 pack of beer. The moment you mention methamphetamine, they're going to pull your script entirely is my guess.

Test it to make sure fent isn't present.

I don't get quite so tweaky as you describe with adderall, but I can see methamphetamine working better if you can be responsible. I tend to find methamphetamine more euphoric and compulsive so I try and keep it away from me.

Surprisingly, methylphenidate works best for me as a functional stimulant. i hated it as a kid.

Yeah, the logical option would be to sell or trade your adderall script and buy meth or trade it for meth. I mean I guess you could say your friend or someone let you try one of their desoxyn pills and it worked much better but I wouldn't risk it.

As said, you can't tell a doctor what to prescribe. Unless you want to get their hackles up and make them suspicious.

"What's the difference between God and a doctor?
God doesn't think he's a doctor."

Anyway,best you can do is to keep telling him that what he is prescribing is not working. You're not really lying either, which helps. Getting him to land on Desoxyn (meth) is going to be near impossible, though.

Unless you have previously been prescribed it - you don't say shit. Ever.

Asking to be prescribed meth is very, very unlikely to be successful - all it's going to do is raise red flags, and you might end up unable to get any stimulant script.

Even if we assume that your request doesn't make them suspicious of you, the risks meth poses far outweigh the potential risks of other stimulant medications, and I'd guess that your doctor will want to have you try many different alternatives with less risk first.