• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How to quit?

mewkittyblu

Greenlighter
ive been a heroin addict a long time. i dont do any other drugs or drink. im going on a trip to see mybf in 20 days, and id like to be as sober as possible when i go (and still feel good enough to function obvs). ive bedn on methadone before. subs dont work for me, they jist dont hold me.

option 1: gradually taper down dope (i snort, i dont shoot) til its time for the trip

option 2: get on methadone now and do a 21 day detox

option 3: go almost cold turkey this weekend.

i know that no matter which i choose, im not going to feel good enough in 20 days tonotbring anything on the trip. my plan is tobring methadone pills- its what i usuallly do, but i usually take 70 mg a day while i travel. id like to only ha e to take 10-20 mg.

i just dont know what to do. im trying option 1 but its hard to know if im tapering enough. im trying to just do enough to feel ok, and gradually do less and less, but im not sure its working.

option 2: it sounds good, but then i think about how much longer methadone stays in your system. would a 21 day detox even work?

option 3: its not really an option. i need to work, i have obligations, i just dont ha e the ability to sit in a room 4 days & kick.

any thoughts are helpful. in the past i just bring a bunch of methadone, but i dont want to be all doped up on my trip. i want to ne at the lowest dose possible-10 or 20 mh-so i can feel ALIVE. ive been on dope so long i dont really get thsy high anymore.. i just feel like a zombie.

I would try the methadone, and try to taper down to your desired dose.

Recommend going into a woken comatose like state for a couple months.

It took me 3 months and a relapse to begin giving a fuck again. Nothing speeds it up but time.

Your job can wait, your health comes first.

Quick on the draw.

Ot: cold turkey sucks like a high end vacuum cleaner, from personal experience.

Recommend going into a woken comatose like state for a couple months.

It took me 3 months and a relapse to begin giving a fuck again. Nothing speeds it up but time.

Your job can wait, your health comes first.

you mean get on methadone?

im ready to quit btw. This isnt just for the trip, i want to get back and keep on whatever taper plan im on til im sober. its just hard bc in the lazt year or two ive been doing well at work so could basically buy as much dope as i wanted...now i have a big dumb habit to get rid of. Yay me.

On the upside, i honest to god am looking forward to being sober. Like i said, i dont really get high anymore. i miss FEELING things.

Im in the similar situation...except im going to florida in march and need to pay a lawyer $1200 asap in order to get rid of a warrant i have there.

Anyway...I snort as well and am wanting to quit too. I have quit once before using only 12 methadone and 2 20mg adderall per day over the span of about 5-6 days. I started using percs a month later tho and then ended up back where i started. I would use this method again if i had access to the methadone but idk any1 right now who does. Can i ask how much dope you are using per day? Maybe i could give some help from what has and hasnt worked for me.

Cold turkey SUCKS but its the quickest way. I did a quick taper off OXYs over two weeks and I was miserable the whole time. If I had just did CT, it would've been over a lot faster. I don't know how bad heroin WD is in comparison and I'm not even familiar with heroin dosing... but methadone is a bitch to get off of. If you don't mind being on methadone for a while and have access to it, then do that and you'll feel fine. That's a tough call. Id probably taper your dose as quickly as you can and have someone help you do it. It was impossible for me to taper alone. I'd just snort it all haha good luck. You will get through this

I recommend methodone. The initial quit is the easiest part compared to staying quit in the long run. For me maintenance was the only way I could stay off heroin in the long run.

thanks everyone. I spend 40-80 bucks a day, it just depends on the quality of what i get. i get 2 dimes in the am and 3 atnight usually (i dont buy in bulk cos ill use it more).

ive been cutting down still over the past few days. waiting longer to get well, just getting well, not high, ect. i think im going to keep tapering for the rest of the week and then hop on methadone and try to keep it low-35 or under.

its just hard. the anxiety... i had a mini panic/jealpusy attack over mybf out of the blue for no reason... thank god he's a good guy and understood. i just dont know how people get through the shitty feeling. in my job i need to interacy with peolle and smile and be friendly and inside im like GO AWAY DONT TALK TO ME. its so hard to deal with people when youre not well.

im just venting i guess. ive done methadone before, a nice slow taper, and it worked, i got off and felt ok, but relapsed. i think in the end a slow taper might work best for me. thanks for listening and any adbice appreciated.

Honestly why even concern yourself with a taper at the moment?

Instead of being in a rush to be all-or-nothing off the opiates, why not get on methadone at the lowest maintenance dose that holds you and stay there for a few years?

Then after you've been away from H for a while, restructured your life, built a support system, etc. you can start working on jumping off the 'done if you want. At the very least though, it would buy you a few years of stability.

im just tired of being on drugs. i dream of being sober and FEELING things the way i used to dream of a good shot.

like i said in my first post, im going to visit my boyfriend in a couple weeks and i dont want to be all sedated to fuck. with my habit i usually need about 70 mg/day to hold me. at that dose im sleepy for four hours after dosing, i can barely have an orgasm, and i just feel like a zombie. my bf had to move for work to another state. im moving to be with him but not for 7-8 months. til then, we see eachother every six weeks. in 2 weeks im going to see him for 4 days. time with him is precious and i dont want to spend it a doped up mess, thats why im trying hard to get my tolerance as low as possible before i go. im hoping to only need 30-40 mg methadone a day.

when i get back ill continue to taper on methadone, but i dont want to stay on it a few years-thats overkill. im hoping 4-6 mos. if i jump on at 40 mg that should be doable.

Yes. He's supportive, hes not rushing me to taper or anything-its just me. I'm so tired of drugs.