How to get doctor's help for depression ?

jjk2

Greenlighter
At what point is it appropriate to seek a doctor for help with depression ? I am kind of afraid of the costs and unsure if my case warrants help.

I've had depression come and go since 5 years ago. Possibly earlier I don't know. I remember, first year in university I was so depressed I hurt myself physically, and tried killing myself. Moved back to my home after the year, and I was fine. Anyways, things would go up and down from there.

In my final year I felt my mood undergo extreme volatility, it was out of control. I started smoking marijuana and it went away (I smoked 10~15 times everyday for 7 months). When I stopped 5 months ago, my anxiety and depression was quite strong. I felt suicidal after I stopped marijuana. My reason of stopping marijuana was my parents found out and they were strongly against it.

Lately, I think I am returning to the intensity of depression I had in my first year in university which was 5 years ago. This week was really stressful, had insomnia, sometimes wake up for no reason during sleep, felt suicidal especially during night. I am a bit more worried today because this morning, I felt no use of waking up. Doing basic things is very difficult and slow. More importantly, I honestly feel like I am getting tired of these cycles of depression, stress. It feels like existence itself is difficult.

This is something that you definitely need medical help to deal with. Their are ways of managing the issues you are describing with both medications and therapy. From what you've said, it's serious enough that you need medical help now.

It's an absolute crime that you have to worry about the cost this kind of treatment. No one should have to choose between getting help and paying the bills but I won't go into that as it could open up a can of worms that would be more appropriate for a CE&P discussion.

I think you should look into the cheapest way you can see a Dr. or Psychiatrist and do so as soon as possible. Nothing is as important as your health, not even money.

It isn't the best idea for everyone, but it is possible to purchase anti-depressants online for considerably cheaper then a single doctors visit.

Some people definitely benefit from having a doctor to talk to and support them.

Personally I just used the doctor as a person to write me prescriptions for medication and I prefer to do my own research and make my own choices of medication rather then have the doctor recommend something.

Shoot me a PM if you want some more info.

One thing you should try is calling around local GPs. There is a doctor near me who will see a new patient for only $50.. not *all* doctors are really expensive and you may be able to find a deal..

Best of luck man. I am sorry you are feeling this way and I can relate with you completely. I promise you it does get better though..

I would definitely say that getting help for your depression, professional help, can really help you at least start on the path of getting to where you need to be mentally. I know myself the depression just got overwhelming to the point where I couldn't make it through the day without crying a half dozen times, just to the point where it was TOO MUCH. I got back into counseling recently and its helping to clear my head. I'm still mostly dealing with anxiety on a daily basis but just knowing that I'm doing something about it and being able to talk to an objective 3rd party really makes a difference.