• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin How to counteract the low drive and motivation caused by long-term opioid use?

Don't you have impairing WD after 3 years of daily use when you take days off???
Sorry I was unclear. I meant days off from work, not days off from kratom. I haven't gone without kratom for a single day in 3 years--- although some days I take a lot less than others

Are you a guy? Did you get your testosterone checked? Opiates messes with testosterone levels. To the point where my testosterone was lower then a women while on Suboxone. I'm on testosterone replacement therapy ATM because of Suboxone. All your symptoms are very similar to what I was experiencing before and trt really helped.
What if any side-effects did you notice from the TRT eg hair loss etc?

@Hexenstahl can you update? After one year from this post which I replied to with advice I got the same heavy depression and inability to do anything, it's even almost hard to just think, before even if I was still under daily heroin use I could do some tasks, was studying a language and so on but it got uglier like you describe. Did you get better and find a solution?

@Hexenstahl can you update? After one year from this post which I replied to with advice I got the same heavy depression and inability to do anything, it's even almost hard to just think, before even if I was still under daily heroin use I could do some tasks, was studying a language and so on but it got uglier like you describe. Did you get better and find a solution?
Yes, my solution to this was the use of LDN/ULDN. Studies as well as anecdotal user reports on reddit show that microdoses of naltrexone lead to an upregulation of endorphins and sex hormones (primarily testosterone, whose lack is responsible for the low drive and motivation). I take a daily dose of it and it has essentially gotten rid of almost all the long-term side effects associated with opioid use.

Here, read this:

And then follow these instructions to create your own ULDN solution:

@Hexenstahl ok, are you still taking it or is it something you can get rid off after a while? for how long did you take it? are you active know, can you do stuff/tasks?

@Hexenstahl ok, are you still taking it or is it something you can get rid off after a while? for how long did you take it? are you active know, can you do stuff/tasks?
I take it every day 1h hour before my opioid dose to keep my tolerance low, potentiate the high and to decrease the side effects that I mentioned above. It does its job exceptionally well...

I personally found that the depression, fatigue, anxiety and loss of enthusiasm was all part of the addiction. Once the euphoric honeymoon phase quickly evaporated all that was left was an empty void i had to fill constantly just to feel half-normal and rid withdrawals temporarily. The only way to regain my natural mood/energy levels was to get sober. However, things have to get worse before they get better of course, hence why its so difficult to get and stay clean.

this topic reminds me of my own thread I made on the impacts of a life supply of opioids. everyone seems to be mentioning low testosterone and I too agree this is most likely the case. however, I would also like to add that strong activation of opioid receptors could be blunting your emotions(Flattened affect) making you feel unmotivated. someone on the thread I created previously used a very interesting term, “opioid blanket“ to describe the for him unpleasant sensation of general emotional numbing caused by long-term opioid use.
Actually, some forms of derealisation are thought to be the result of excessive endorphin activity in the brain.

this topic reminds me of my own thread I made on the impacts of a life supply of opioids. everyone seems to be mentioning low testosterone and I too agree this is most likely the case. however, I would also like to add that strong activation of opioid receptors could be blunting your emotions(Flattened affect) making you feel unmotivated. someone on the thread I created previously used a very interesting term, “opioid blanket“ to describe the for him unpleasant sensation of general emotional numbing caused by long-term opioid use.
Actually, some forms of derealisation are thought to be the result of excessive endorphin activity in the brain.
No, I've actually written about how opioids make me sentimental (in a positive way), affectionate and romantic. They don't blunt my emotions at all. That's something benzos are notorious for and the reason I don't like them because I already perceive my feelings as if they are behind a thick fog, but opioids take that fog away. You know that feeling when you see the world through rose colored glasses while in love with someone? That's exactly how opioids feel like. You get instant access to that feeling with the push of a button.

If you scroll up you'll see that the issue was actually caused by low testosterone, which I solved with the application of ULDN. If you go read about the psychological symptoms of low testosterone levels you'll see how it pretty much mimics depression.

No, I've actually written about how opioids make me sentimental (in a positive way), affectionate and romantic. They don't blunt my emotions at all. That's something benzos are notorious for and the reason I don't like them because I already perceive my feelings as if they are behind a thick fog, but opioids take that fog away. You know that feeling when you see the world through rose colored glasses while in love with someone? That's exactly how opioids feel like. You get instant access to that feeling with the push of a button.

If you scroll up you'll see that the issue was actually caused by low testosterone, which I solved with the application of ULDN. If you go read about the psychological symptoms of low testosterone levels you'll see how it pretty much mimics depression.
I have been legally on a rather low dose of oxycodone, morphine er and Ativan(lorazepam)for 6-7 years.
I quit the morphine er and switched to Valium from Ativan.
Besides doing 2 decades of alcohol damage, I am scared 6-7 years of opiates and benzos have destroyed my desire to do just about anything.
Lethargy, depression, deep sadness, mood issues and insomnia.
I am in a bind. I need the oxycodone to eat and not be in pain and I can't just quit the Valium.
Do you think the benzos or the opiates are destroying my mind. Can this be reversed if so.
I find no pleasure in just about everything. I use to have interest in so many things, not anymore.
Read a book, watch a documentary or movie and play with my phone. That's about it, anymore. I find happiness so rarely.
Is there anything to do to regain interest in so many hobbies I use to have.
Is it my pills, 3 decades of depression and can one learn to laugh and be happy after all that.
Have benzos destroyed my mind? Can it be reversed. Or is it just depression and not having any real contact with people? I take care of the basics and not much else. Have I further destroyed my mind with long term benzo use?

Last edited:
I find opiods more destructive than benzos
To me benzo s are like a stepping stone down from pain killers. A lot of people use valium to get off stronger pills.. I know I have.
I appreciate benzo medication these days

I agree completely about good opiods make you feel so much more alive. On benzo s it is literally a numbing of your senses....people just trying to forget. It's just in America we are fighting to keep even benzo s on our table. You are extremely lucky to live in a country that understands legitimate medical opiate use. Here in the bible belt ppl are in a thick fog about differing addicts and a medical dependence. They compare opiate dependent patients to Crack heads.
I wish I could move to Germany or Sweden
To get real methadone or HAT (heroin assisted treatment)
Over in America everybody is going insane with this war on every good drug known to man.. so only the infirm suffer the most, they take the biggest hit. I literally can't stand this place anymore, I'd care more If I didn't abuse my meds to forget this train wreck in slow motion, no where to run

I quit drinking and have been using pain meds and benzos for pancreatitus. They keep lowering what doctors can prescribe here. My doctor admitted if this were the nineties, I would get a lot more meds. I do not like opiate highs; just pain relief. People get high, so I suffer. It also costs me over $60 for the mandatory piss tests. I quit the morphine er and only got one more oxy. What will I do if my Cirrhosis gets bad. I should have a good life; but I just lost interest in almost everything.

People get high, so I suffer.
Instead of being pissed at people getting high, you should be angry at lawmakers who make it hard for you, for purely Ideological reasons, to get access to opioids. People like me who get high on opioids do it to elicit the antidepressant effect, which is only possible by taking so called "recreational" doses. In a way we are pain patients too. It's just that pain these days has been arbitrarily limited to the physical aspect. Emotional pain is not seen as a legitimate reason to take opioids. Be angry at your corrupt politicians and not at us...

Instead of being pissed at people getting high, you should be angry at lawmakers who make it hard for you, for purely Ideological reasons, to get access to opioids. People like me who get high on opioids do it to elicit the antidepressant effect, which is only possible by taking so called "recreational" doses. In a way we are pain patients too. It's just that pain these days has been arbitrarily limited to the physical aspect. Emotional pain is not seen as a legitimate reason to take opioids. Be angry at your corrupt politicians and not at us...
What I meant was because people abuse perscription drugs, I pay the price. Oddly enough the current( leftist) regime is making getting pain relief harder and harder. That leftist Bitch in Lansing(capital of Michigan) keeps making it even worse. The liberals are why I suffer. Thank you Biden, now I have to piss in a cup and pay over $60 each month. They keep(FDA), un elected beauocrats, put pressure on doctors and so do many states. How are they corrupt? They are just power hungry. All this illegal fentanyl is also an easy way to blame everyone but themselves. 100,000 people died of fentanyl in the US last year some say less, but all these od's makes the country look bad. So they blame the doctors and I am screwed. The government doesn't want opiods. These idiots, almost all, know nothing and keep passing laws to make sure that doctors are their puppets. People in China sell chemicals to the Cartels; then make and easily smuggle fent in. The current leftist political climate, less and less perscription painkillers for people who really need them. That is how the Biden administration is handling opiods. You must suffer. All the while making it easier to smuggle illegal drugs from mexico, open up that boarder.
All that illegal fent, so the government blames doctors and I suffer.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat jnowhere.
This opoidphobia is out of hand
We have to be dieing to receive a good supply of any pain relief Its completely out of touch with our reality. It's hopeless, hold on
I'm going to put my balls in the microwave to get that great relief with a dose of cancer

I have had pancreatitus, I have trouble eating and have cirrhosis. I gave up my morphine script because I don't want to take opiods unless needed. Now I need a little more OXY,
That leftist bitch( our governor) keeps lowering what doctors can give. I never abuse or misuse my pills. Valium and OXY,
So what, I want alcohol but literally can't drink anymore. I could legally grow 12 Marijuana plants, but try getting cough syrup that works.(codeine). No way.

Yes, much better. Was on both for a while, but I realized I didn't need 24hr a day morphine in me, things got a little better.
Now worse. In 2015, I can't have acetaminophen, so fentanyl patches were an option. If I never drank, I wouldn't be on perscription meds. I am also not inclined to mess with illegal drugs.

Last edited: