• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How to beat opiate withdrawal! [100% success rate]

I'm at the end of a buprenorphine reduction programme, started at 8mg now I'm down 0.4ml for 3 days, then nothing. Seems like it's been dragging on forever, my drug nurse is fond of saying almost there but i get the feeling there's more to come. Once under 2ml the rattle kicked in harder and faster as every 3 days another .4ml drop came. They won't give benzo's and i sort of understand it, but I'm praying for the end now and I'm not religious. I've been prescribed zopiclone but don't really know how effective they are in this situation ? My million dollar question how long til the rattle ends and a brave new world kicks in ? Beatthesickness i enjoyed your post.

I will give 2 cents on w/d's and the symptoms that coincide with said symptoms.
I have been in opiates for 16 years. I have R/A and A/S...I'm lucky like that. Like most addicts, I'm constantly running a minimum of 2 weeks short of my next refill. I'm on 100mcg/72hrs of Fentanyl, 150 30mg Roxi, and as a kicker, 60 10mg/325 tabs. Not including zanaflex 3x day, 30 5mg Vals, and 1200mgs of gabapentin. So when I'm out, I'm hurting within 8 hrs. No sleep, chills, fever dreams(when I sleep), my bones twisting underneath my skin, anger, depression, you guys know.
Over the past 10 years I've found 3 things that help me tremendously.
1) Lyrica. 150mg caps. I can take about 5-6 at once. My face, tongue, and lips get very numb. I know it is a lot, especially with the gabapentin I already take. FYI: I stop the gaba so as no to inundate my liver, heart and kidneys. It eases the wd's to a point of being able to sleep..a few hours at a time.
2) The tried and true...loperamide. Now this is tricky. I take about 40 at once. It will lock up the bowels. I also believe that it crossed the blood/brain barrier in high doses. Absolutely be careful with this one. If you get fixed up within a day or two of taking such a large amount, well, your feces can be used as a building material.
3) This is my favorite...for real....if you're in a pain clinic you will need to store clean urine ahead of time....weed man. It is usually cheaper than buying pills, H, or Subs of the street. Get you some really good loud....smoke until your lungs hurt. I'll do this for at least 5-7 days when the monkey comes to visit. I smoke so much he usually gets high too.
The key is to keep hydrated...I can only tolerate water. Don't sit still...exercise helps, No matter what type you do. Eat protein(small amounts several times a day). Need sugar? Nothing with flour...donuts, cakes, cookies...no no...try hard candies. Jolly Ranchers are my go to...by the pound. This is just my own personal thoughts.
One last thing, Suboxone is a wonder drug...but the downside is if you do luck into something i.e. more opiates. Subs will block it. That's a fact. Don't listen to these on here that say 'I took 8mg of bupe and the next day I took 120 mg of oxy and got lit'. Pure lies. I've tried to stem my wd's with bupe for 2 years. It works. BUT I've also been kicked out of clinics (2) because of it. So unless you find my own tried and true methods lacking....damn it...just be careful. Like Nancy Reagan said 30 yrs ago, "Ronald it's puff puff give not puff puff puff puff....oh wait, I keep forgetting your memory is slipping."

I'm at the end of a buprenorphine reduction programme, started at 8mg now I'm down 0.4ml for 3 days, then nothing. Seems like it's been dragging on forever, my drug nurse is fond of saying almost there but i get the feeling there's more to come. Once under 2ml the rattle kicked in harder and faster as every 3 days another .4ml drop came. They won't give benzo's and i sort of understand it, but I'm praying for the end now and I'm not religious. I've been prescribed zopiclone but don't really know how effective they are in this situation ? My million dollar question how long til the rattle ends and a brave new world kicks in ? Beatthesickness i enjoyed your post.

yeah I've never been on a sub prgram but from what I've been reading it's much more drawn out than H. it's really inspiring/supportive to see how many people are going through the same thing and come here to get help. just hang in there and when all else fails, take a hot shower, lol it will buy you about 20 minutes of sanity. and glad you enjoyed my post man :) keep on keeping on, brother!

and FUCK you, heroin

Beatthesickness- wow! Your 'spoiler' comparison is awesome. That is EXACTLY how it feels. It so comforting just to know that other people actually 'get it'. Sober life after drugs is definitely a battle, but so much easier with people who understand. Loved your post.

And I agree... Heroin, fuck you.

haha hell yeah..
and regarding the spoiler...RIGHT?! I know it sounds jaded but shit it's got me seeing a therapist for it..

Once you get completely off your going to be uncomfortable for 2-3 weeks. I don't know how bad its going to be because I jumped off at 2mg without much of a taper but it was really not a good time at all for me. zopiclone will probably help you sleep right now while you are still tapering but I wouldn't count on getting much sleep for the first week your opiate free. you should ask if gabapentin is an option for a prescription. People rave about its usefulness for withdrawal.

Thanks cj, I'm new to this site so don't know how it works so forgive me if i fuck something up. I've dropped of my last .4 and its the same old feelings on my bike in the night an that. I'll be a tour Dr France rider when this rattle is done? I'll get through it ive had worse benzodiazepine withdrawal and methadone nearly finished me off. Anyway, I've got some diazepam should i take some small doses 7 days max. I don't want to prolong the WD . Thanks.

Yeah mate, I'm keeping on . I've done it this long so nothing is going to stop me now. So opiates do your worst mother fucker. Nothing can be as bad as the rattle off benzos when i used to pop them like sweets an i did that bare back. I don't advise anyone to do that the fits and seizures can kill, seek medical advice. So if your stuck to your mattress now, and crawling to the toilet on your hands and knees, I'm with you. Get in bed and ride your bike like a pro cyclist. And don't let heroin or anything stop you making it to a better life.......fuck heroin !!

Yeah mate, I'm keeping on . I've done it this long so nothing is going to stop me now. So opiates do your worst mother fucker. Nothing can be as bad as the rattle off benzos when i used to pop them like sweets an i did that bare back. I don't advise anyone to do that the fits and seizures can kill, seek medical advice. So if your stuck to your mattress now, and crawling to the toilet on your hands and knees, I'm with you. Get in bed and ride your bike like a pro cyclist. And don't let heroin or anything stop you making it to a better life.......fuck heroin !!
Inspiring stuff Kicken. Do you say the thing about bicycling in bed because of restless leg syndrome?

Dude I'm lucky..my last relapse, my dealer offered me a little tester, and after doing it, I completely lost all interest in heroin, because to be honest i really didnt enjoy the high - and it was good shit - also was enough to throw me into mild WD the next day. one of my biggest problems while trying to kick it was that I always had an underlying interest to use once I had money again, and felt that those who didn't like opiates were so lucky. Then, voila! that happened and I've been clean ever since

Thanks CJ my doc won't prescribe gabapentin, i don't think so anyway. I could get it off the street I've got diazepam but should i take it ? I don't want to prolong the withdrawals. They won't mess with the work I've already put in, Will they ? I don't want to prolong the rattle a moment longer than is necessary.

Yeah, cfZrx the legs are the worst they just don't wanna stop moving. So to me it feels like I'm riding a bike all night. Any rattle torture's your soul. You've just got to get the mindset right and think Fuck you, c'mon do your worst. I'm ready for you mother fucker. Take it ez, always.

Inspiring stuff Kicken. Do you say the thing about bicycling in bed because of restless leg syndrome?
yep, the legs are the worst they never stop grinding. So it's like riding a bike all night to me. There is no relief, you've just got to crack on, bite the bullet and get through it. Take it ez, always.

Ever looked into ropinirole or gabapentin? Both work pretty damn well for RLS (and the former is like one of the only drugs I've ever heard used specifically if not exclusively to treat RLS).

true shit^^

I think one of the hardest parts about withdrawal is the fact that you don't really see any light at the end of the tunnel. The sun goes up and goes down and comes back up and it's like you feel the same. so truth be told you just have to stick it out. aside from the comfort meds, being around people that you like will help pass the time. it really will

Long story short, you can't avoid it unless you get put in a self-induced coma. I did meet a fella at a detox center who went through the self-induced coma...

Not recommending anyone try it, but I once self-induced a coma using approximately 3 grams of GHB and 30mg's of valium. Of course, I am experienced with these so I was reasonably sure I wasn't killing myself, just going unconscious for a long time. I slept for about 6 hours that night (it was night 1 of withdrawal, approximately 30 hours since last hit of H - normally I would have been up all night kicking my legs, thinking of ex-girlfriends and weeping from every orifice). I woke up in the morning amidst a puddle of sweat with everything thrashed about like there had been a hurricane in my room.

But please don't mix two GABAergics on account of my story, I'm just dicksizing with y'all.

edited original post for better flow and just made it overall more relevant to the topic. enjoy . . glad it has helped some people ;]

Hi there, this is my first post ever. I've lurked on this board for sooo long. Your post is the first one that completely sucked me in. I can relate. wow.

I have to admit, I've never done heroin or anything like that, but I've been on Bupe for years; prescribed to me to get off of percocets that were also prescribed to me. Yes. I'm so mad. I would've never ever went on subutex for as long as I have if I knew how evil it can be.

I wish my psychiatrist made me do a quick taper since that's all I needed. Back then, I was only physically addicted to the percs because of knee surgery. But now, years later, I am mentally and physically dependent on subutex. Maybe I am lucky, but I only need like at most, 2mg subutex a day. I take 1mg in the morning and .5-1mg late afternoon when I start feeling terrible and can't take it anymore.

What got me about your post was I am one of the lucky ones. My husband holds onto my subutex. Before he leaves for work in the morning, he leaves me a "crumb" of sub; I am prescribed 1 x 8mg subutex aka buprenorphine a day. But as much as I want off of it, my hubby wants me off of it too...it's changed me. I am tired all the time, or should I say up and down. I gained weight. I am lazy compared to how I used to be. I used to be full of life.

I used to be the one who inspired others by my strong willpower and longing for feeling awesome naturally. Now I am weak, dependent, and, well, not the real "me". When my hubby gets home from work around 5-6pm, I am at the point at begging for a small piece....he has this look he gives me which kills me....like I know he cares about me, loves me, but when is this gonna end? When will I "grow out of this"? I am trying. So hard. Mental anguish is bad but for me the physical part kills me. I just started a weight loss program. It's been only 4 days (laugh all you want I know) but I'm starting to see and feel a bit clearer. I force myself to get outside with my daughter who's 9; she has no clue what I'm going through; I would never let her know but she obviously knows that "mommy got fat and sleeps a lot". But she knows I'm working on losing all the weight, and get less "sleepy". She's excited which makes me feel proud and relief that she isn't disappointed in me like she was a lot of times....I am not religious but I pray every night before sleep to please help me by any means possible by giving me strength to beat this. Last time.

Of course it's easy to say all this right now because I still take almost 2mg a day which is a lot; you may not think so but if you never took opiates regularly and took 2mg of subutex you'd probably get so freaking high and buzzed and vomit. No joke. This stuff sucks more than anything because it takes forever to fully get out of your body...and then when it finally does, you still have to heal which means even more feeling like shit. I once got off subutex 2 years ago and it took 45 days approximately to feel awesome again. It was agonizing in the beginning and I HATE MYSELF for taking it one night for a buzz and getting hooked on it again! Hate hate hate myself. Because it was the hardest thing I ever withdrew from mentally. I did it and then messed it all up.

Sorry for rambling. Its 12:15 here, and I've got work to do now and then I am forcing myself to workout before my daughter gets home from work but I figured if an online weight watchers can work and get me to lose weight and keep me motivated maybe an online forum or chat where others are suffering and trying to stop taking something maybe it'll help as well. I am willing to try and do anything at this point. Thanks for reading if you made it this far, and I am willing to participate more if it helps anyone I promise. I just won't participate in areas that promote drug use for fun. Thanks for starting this post by the way.
hi, I've just done a buprenorphine taper 8mg to 0.4 mg in 3 weeks, then nothing except a few zopiclone that didn't touch the sides. My detox was fast but it worked I'm 10 days clean now. If your only on 2mg you can do it to. Buprenorphine does like to hang on like an obsessed lover though, it's because off the accumalative effect it has, how it just builds up in your system. So there's always more in your system than you'd think. You can do it, stay strong. I hope you feel the weight of subby lift of you soon. Take it ez, always.

Thanks for the post homie. Day 3 cold turkey. Weird thing is, it seems easier this time. Don't get me wrong, it's not easy at all, but it definitely seems easiER than last time. I'm thankful and worried all at the same time. Haha. Ive made the decision to put it down for good though. Maybe that's why the road isn't as rocky. I KNOW I'm done. Plus, drinking robitussin every 6 hours helps a bit. The only two things that really suck are the headache and the diarrhea. Other than that I'm good. In all honesty though, your message helped. I appreciate the post. Mas Love and respect to everyone fighting the same demons. You can beat it. I can beat. Silant