• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How Should I Proceed To Obtain The Kind Of Pods U Need For Poppy Pod Tea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muie

Bluelighter
I have a garden of several poppy plants, growing three different Papaverum Somniferum strains I ordered online. This is my first real harvest and I am not interested in the opium gum, rather my objective is to obtain the (eventually dry) poppy capsule and taking it as poppy pod tea. I personally grind my pods to a powder and skip the tea eating the ground powder as it tends to increase the potency compared to tea but I digress, back to the topic at hand.

I would think that any lancing or bleeding/milking of the pods would decrease the final concentration of the poppy pod.

I’ve heard when harvesting poppies to hang the plants upside down, while others say one should leave the plants undisturbed until they start to dry and to wait until the plant dries out itself which is usually after the crown opens and the seeds start to fall, the stems begin to dry and then you can apparently cut or rip out the pods.

There must be someone here who has had the same question at one point or another, please help a fellow bluelighter with any tips.

When harvesting how should I proceed to obtain the kind of pods u need for poppy pod tea, that is to say the dried potent kind?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
IMO you're better off scoring them in the morning once the crown is pointing up solid and the petals fall (two weeks from flowering I've read), collecting the opium at lunch and dinner, continuing to let it bleed each day, and finnally collecting them and hanging them upside-down to let the alkaloids settle in the pod I'd assume although the moisture probably collects taking longer to dry than the thin stem, and using the raw opium to strengthen the pod tea to your liking. Don't blend the opium or mix up the pods as each strain has a unique content. My theory is you like pods as opium doesn't contain certain essance a pod retains so you shoukd still use them to make yor tea, but it is just a waste not to bleed them as I am sure it allows latex to release allowing more to be produced vs getting full and nit creating as much latex. Plus making tea out of the opium is easy and mixs much easier not even requiring filtering pod matter.

So bassically instead of 2-3 tennis balls or 3-5 golf balls you can use 0.5-1 tennis ball or 1-2 golf balls. Once you wash and filter the pod add the raw opium. This way you can control your dose better too rather than having pods that contain varying amount of latex.

The raw opium can be smoked although you can mix it in water, filter through at 90 micron bubble bag, save the bag residue for tea, and evaporate the leftover water without heat that can and will destroy the opiates. A double boiler setup might be safe, but I would recomend adding a touch of isopropyl alcohol to prevent mold from growing as you let it airdry in a warm not hot dark space with airflow. The cooked opium should be a seethrough goldin olive brown more golden the purer it is. This stuff can be mixed with cannabis (hash not recommended as it burns too hot), other herbs, or smoked on its own. The raw can too just requires more while the cooked can get a dose in one smoke. An opium pipe over a candle (or hemp wick holder) will always be the best method.

GL with your poppy ventures.... Don't let that latex go to waste. I bet you'l love opium tea vs. pod tea. I wishbb you'd give me latex, but ha in my dreams.

When the petals fall naturally off the pods corona becomes erect (the crown on top of the pod = corona). At that point the colour and texture of the pod lightens to a gray to blue green. You now have 5 to 14 (roughly) days to harvest. You have to lance early in the morning while the dew is still on the ground or after dark because heat causes the latex to thicken and if you harvest say at mid day you will only see a faint line as opposed to a pea to two pea sized amounts of latex. Once you lance wait until the next evening or morning to scrape it off the pod because it gives it time to set and oxyidise (turn gold to black from original molk white).

Second poster: You have alot of errors. You dont cut the plant and hang it to net opium and all you will do is screw up the harvest unless you have at least a full hectare and are doing a chem extract. That takes alot of knowledge and practice and never involves lancing (your advice). Plants dry on stalk UNLANCED and are then cut as close to ground level as possible and still dont need to be hung as they are already dried.

As for saying to not blend, all comnercial producers blend. In fact it is the optimal way to produce opium since it will statistically result in a better alkaloidal content after all. You liquify fully, agitate vigirously and then sundry in forms.

As for all the "bubblebag" this and that? No. Opium is extremely simple and already in a pristine state upon drying. You arent going to improve upon it.

I have a garden of several poppy plants, growing three different Papaverum Somniferum strains I ordered online. This is my first real harvest and I am not interested in the opium gum, rather my objective is to obtain the (eventually dry) poppy capsule and taking it as poppy pod tea. I personally grind my pods to a powder and skip the tea eating the ground powder as it tends to increase the potency compared to tea but I digress, back to the topic at hand.

I would think that any lancing or bleeding/milking of the pods would decrease the final concentration of the poppy pod.

I’ve heard when harvesting poppies to hang the plants upside down, while others say one should leave the plants undisturbed until they start to dry and to wait until the plant dries out itself which is usually after the crown opens and the seeds start to fall, the stems begin to dry and then you can apparently cut or rip out the pods.

There must be someone here who has had the same question at one point or another, please help a fellow bluelighter with any tips.

When harvesting how should I proceed to obtain the kind of pods u need for poppy pod tea, that is to say the dried potent kind?

Thanks in advance!
I don't know if it is true, but i've read that rain/water absorbed by the roots can flush some of the desired alkaloids out of your plants/pods (i don't have a reliable source for this, just something people seem to say) so i used to wait until my pods were 'ripe', pick them, cut each pod in half and dry them in a food dehydrator - then grind them into a powder and wash them down as you are intending to do. IME that is the best way to use limited supplies of poppy pods.
As for whether scoring them will make them any less potent - i don't know.
Leaving pods to dry on the plant runs the risk of them getting mouldy, especially if you get a bit of rain once the crowns have popped...

Perhaps you could try experimenting? I never bothered, really - except i would gather each lot of harvested pods into a calico bag, which i would wash at the end of the season, and then evaporate the cloudy wash into putty. That was always nice...but i didnt bother scoring the pods for opium - too labour intensive to be worth the small returns.

Raki gave very good advice.

You really should lance the poppies you are going to be wasting a considerable amount of wonderful sticky goodness if you do not lance and collect. Then you can dry the pods and still make a good brew. If you want you can add the opium to the tea, smoke it, or just eat it. But please make sure to lance them exactly as Raki described. This is how I did mine and it worked wonderfully. I smoked most of mine, at a little bit, and made tea from the pods. This is usually the way people do it. I have never heard of just leaving the opium in the pods without giving it a chance to oxidize I think you may lose potency if you just dry them with the latex still inside.

Second poster: You have alot of errors. You dont cut the plant and hang it to net opium and all you will do is screw up the harvest unless you have at least a full hectare and are doing a chem extract. That takes alot of knowledge and practice and never involves lancing (your advice). Plants dry on stalk UNLANCED and are then cut as close to ground level as possible and still dont need to be hung as they are already dried.

As for saying to not blend, all comnercial producers blend. In fact it is the optimal way to produce opium since it will statistically result in a better alkaloidal content after all. You liquify fully, agitate vigirously and then sundry in forms.

As for all the "bubblebag" this and that? No. Opium is extremely simple and already in a pristine state upon drying. You arent going to improve upon it.
You completely misread my post..... I talked about harvesting the pods after bleeding the pods for days by "scoring" the pods in the morning allowing the sun to dry it out before collecting to further dry.

If he has various strains of course he should isolate the batches to each strain for opiums with different flavor and content especially noticable with tea. Combining them all won't make SUPER UB3R P073NT as it wont increase content at all and just give you one big batch that i somewhat evenly blended making some more potent while ruining the potency of others. He might have one killer batch from a specific strains yeild that will become pretty weak when blended into the avarage possibly weak strains yeild. To get uber potent ultra concentrated you use basic science dissolving it in water and pouring through a filter (bubblebag) seperating the inactive wax and stuff from the opiate goodness that of course being sensitive to heat needs to be seperated from the water by evaporating the water off.

I only suggested hanging the pods upside-down after harvest once the pods stop bleeding opium as a HYPOTHESIS not fact as the OP mentioned he has heard it done

Read my post twice before shit talking me and discrediting the post I put a lot of effort into writing after seeing this thread ignored for days. Seeing you acting like you are comming in on a white horse to save the day pisses me off especially when you made no effort to post anything helpful until I did. I say this with no disrespect, but please GFY

edit: I will take my leave to as even though he showed me great disrespect he obviously knows something.

You completely misread my post..... I talked about harvesting the pods after bleeding the pods for days by "scoring" the pods in the morning allowing the sun to dry it out before collecting to further dry.

If he has various strains of course he should isolate the batches to each strain for opiums with different flavor and content especially noticable with tea. Combining them all won't make SUPER UB3R P073NT as it wont increase content at all and just give you one big batch that i somewhat evenly blended making some more potent while ruining the potency of others. He might have one killer batch from a specific strains yeild that will become pretty weak when blended into the avarage possibly weak strains yeild. To get uber potent ultra concentrated you use basic science dissolving it in water and pouring through a filter (bubblebag) seperating the inactive wax and stuff from the opiate goodness that of course being sensitive to heat needs to be seperated from the water by evaporating the water off.

I only suggested hanging the pods upside-down after harvest once the pods stop bleeding opium as a HYPOTHESIS not fact as the OP mentioned he has heard it done

Read my post twice before shit talking me and discrediting the post I put a lot of effort into writing after seeing this thread ignored for days. Seeing you acting like you are comming in on a white horse to save the day pisses me off especially when you made no effort to post anything helpful until I did. I say this with no disrespect, but please GFY

edit: I will take my leave to as even though he showed me great disrespect he obviously knows something.

Given his location and some of his posts in other threads, I would say he has a very "intimate" knowledge of the "industry" so I usually take his word for gold when it comes to anything from the poppy seed itself all the way to the final product heroin #4. However, yes, maybe he could have put it a littles less harsh, you did have a good point as well. The mixing batches does happen on a commercial level. Seeing as this is not a commercials level, just a private small grow, I can see your point in that maybe you would want to experience the 3 batches separately to see what they have to offer. But kudos to you for giving him props at the end of your post even though he was a tad bit rude in the way he commented on his post. I am sure OP will do whatever is best for his needs. We can only sit back and lob advice his way, whatever sticks... well sticks...

Anyone would have a good ressource for the cultivation of those from seed up to the collection process and average figures of potential yield per X plants ?

Taco dude- seems to me you are mighty butthurt over a small correction by Rafi. All he said was per his view, your post contained errors. Should he have stayed quiet and bowed down to you just because you replied first?
I know absolutely nothing about poppy pod/opium harvesting, but I'd put my money on a retired Cambodian professional botanist over a Taco Dude.

Lighten up!

Guys, do you remember the poppy pods we used to get off eBay a few years ago before the ban on pods? That is what I am trying to achieve with my garden, that is to get the kind of pods sold several years ago to make tea/eat as it after crushing to powder. I never once saw any signs of incisions indicating the milking of the pods that I was getting on a monthly basis for about 1 year.

I want to obtain the pods for oral use and not the opium latex. As indicated in this video link below, I am hoping that instead of lancing the pods, I can just let milk collect in the capsule and once the crown opens up there will be enough air flow to prevent mold formation. Lancing the pod would only decrease the final content of the morphine in the pod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6dYOxqOYg - *Described in the 1st minute and half (0:00min-1:30min*

I have grown once before and did exactly as raki mentioned, that is I milked the pods for opium and got about 0.4g of solid hard raw opium that I smoked and it gave a wonderful taste but didn't get me high nor nodding, smoked it on tin foil, with weed in a pipe and with weed in a joint. Eating the remaining capsules that I dried and pulverized to a powder had no effect on me, leading me to conclude that not only did I ruin it by not having enough opium gum to refine it further for a noticeable high, but since the pods had been milked already I was getting probably 5%-10% of the content had I not milked the pods.

Last edited:
yes i remember those days =(. Too good to be true, there still out there but are the price of buying percocets and don't seem as strong. So instead of just having something delivered safely to yr house where the word got around on the internet and told ya ya how to safely do it, just go get some Oxy or H instead of some dried pods, we had to put a stop to that problem,lol. But I would love a big pod gardent(with weed growing too) I would never have any complaints, Pods are really my Opiate of Choice, well, unless you mention needles, which I started on when pods became so hard to get...Been thinking about trying seeds, just gotta find a GOOD brand.

Taco dude- seems to me you are mighty butthurt over a small correction by Rafi. All he said was per his view, your post contained errors. Should he have stayed quiet and bowed down to you just because you replied first?
I know absolutely nothing about poppy pod/opium harvesting, but I'd put my money on a retired Cambodian professional botanist over a Taco Dude.

Lighten up!
It was the fact he came in and said I was wrong in ways I did not suggest and the misinterpret. It is a pain to get online at times as I have a lot of near broken device so people coming in saying I am wrong because they misread what I said posting quite knowledgeable information making me look like an idiot even though they made the mistake in the firstplace leading them to believe I was mistaken.

I used to have an amazing poppy and opium production guide on growery bookmarked, but that pc is long gone. If I find it I will post it.

edit: It discusses growing for opium, but it can still be a useful read. You might not have harvested the opium correctly too, which is why you had little. Plus you never tried making it into tea. I bet you would really do better with the method in the forum as it discusses collecting the pods and cooking out an edible opium from it.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/120168

Last edited:
^^^^ If I am making it into a tea why would I still go on to milk the poppies?

If no one wants to help me then I'll end up trial and error, as always, that is I will let my pods dry out on the plant and then harvest my capsules.

If you bothered to look at the video link for the first 2min then you may get the idea!

I feel like I'm not speaking the same language!?

I think the idea is if you milk the poppies and get the opium it is easier to manipulate and store than concentrating/preserving boiled poppy straw tea

I believe stressing the plant by scoring the capsules will draw morphine and other alkloids out of the roots and stem of the plant, that may be folk legend though. I certainly can't see it hurting at all, in the worst case you can leave the opium on the outside to get dry and crusty and then just make tea like you normally do.

Letting the pods dry on the plant should work as well, even though it may take a while if conditions are humid.

The "putty" described in ther latter half of the Growery thread is not true opium either, it is a bastardized aqueous concentrate of poppy straw. It will get you high but it's not anywhere near the potency that USP opium should be. (Perhaps it is better suited to ... further manipulations if you know your chemistry ... )

Last edited:
^^^^ If I am making it into a tea why would I still go on to milk the poppies?

If no one wants to help me then I'll end up trial and error, as always, that is I will let my pods dry out on the plant and then harvest my capsules.

If you bothered to look at the video link for the first 2min then you may get the idea!

I feel like I'm not speaking the same language!?
What sekio said..... You can store the opium, measure, and generally work with it easier. Opium can be made into tea as well as mixing it with the leftover milked pods to get everything. It should lead to a same end product as dried pod tea.

I digress though you obviously don't care for my advice so goodbye. I hate to know these poppies will go to waste because of stubbornness

All due respect, you guys are completely useless! I'm fucked with you guys!!

I found a very simple clear answer, if any of the 'experts' that posted want to see what a real, definitive answer would look like, please just click on the following link: http://driedflowercraft.co.uk/2012/06/growing-dried-flowers-poppy-heads/

It asks 'How Do I Dry My Poppy Heads':

The choice between the two methods below depends on how tidy you like your garden!

1) Hang the green flowers upside down to dry - dried in about 2 weeks
2) Leave to dry naturally - they seem much more robust than the ones dried inside. I would recommend leaving your seed heads to dry outside if you can, but if you like a tidy garden or can’t wait until the end of summer, bring them in.

It is in these kind of threads where the magnitude of stupidity that bluelighters hold really shows!

I have smoked the kind of opium Sekio described, but way too weak and no effects. That is milking the poppy capsule and collecting the milk to dry into a hard blob. I would smoke up to 0.25g or 0.3g with no effects. I simply got the flavor and aroma but if I ate the blackish blob then I would get an effect. I smoked it various ways, on tin foil, on top of weed in a bowl, in a joint, etc. Nothing worked so I thought I did something wrong but a few months later I got 3.5g of opium from my weed dealer. It looked like mine did, maybe more professional but similar. I was smoking heroin at the time, about half gram a day, but when I got the opium I didn't take any dope and smoked the opium both on foil and on top of weed in my bowl with no results at all. I ended up smoking more than half of it so almost 2g and decided fuck it, I ate the rest...that is the only time I got an effect!

p.s. Thanks Sekio!

Last edited:
All due respect, you guys are completely useless! I'm fucked with you guys!!

It is in these kind of threads where the magnitude of stupidity that bluelighters hold really shows

All do respects go fuck yourself as you are being completely disrespectful and unnapreciative to people who made effort they didn't need to help you when obviously you didn't make the effort to help yourself. Really you come to a board without any of your own research discussing harm reduction and drug use and ask cultivation and somewhat drug production coming close to violating the BLUA if you did not already. Then when you didn't get the answer you want after repeated helpful effort posting you finnally do your research, find your answer, and then come back here insulting us. I hope you fail miserably with those pods as you does not deserve them.

Ps. To sekio I know the putty described after the milking would require proccessing to make it smokable opium leaving something to capsulate or melt into water to make a tea exactly what the OP wanted. Really though I am sick of the peoples that think they are the super shit as they use and have a drug stock they really shouldn't yet obviously know nothing and rather than admit it get butthurt when corrected. Now I am not alking about you sekio as you are one of the awesome staff members helping all over the boards not just your area. Still I had to say something as the way the OP completely ignored me was beyond offensive when they came here asking for an answer as they were too lazy to find an answer themselves. Lazy people like that irk me beyond belief especially when any post I make for help after research or anything usually gets ignored. I just wonder in the end what's the point pf making an effort.

Last edited:
All do respects go fuck yourself as you are being completely disrespectful and unnapreciative to people who made effort they didn't need to help you when obviously you didn't make the effort to help yourself. Really you come to a board without any of your own research discussing harm reduction and drug use and ask cultivation and somewhat drug production coming close to violating the BLUA if you did not already. Then when you didn't get the answer you want after repeated helpful effort posting you finnally do your research, find your answer, and then come back here insulting us. I hope you fail miserably with those pods as you does not deserve them.

Ps. To sekio I know the putty described after the milking would require proccessing to make it smokable opium leaving something to capsulate or melt into water to make a tea exactly what the OP wanted. Really though I am sick of the peoples that think they are the super shit as they use and have a drug stock they really shouldn't yet obviously know nothing and rather than admit it get butthurt when corrected. Now I am not alking about you sekio as you are one of the awesome staff members helping all over the boards not just your area. Still I had to say something as the way the OP completely ignored me was beyond offensive when they came here asking for an answer as they were too lazy to find an answer themselves. Lazy people like that irk me beyond belief especially when any post I make for help after research or anything usually gets ignored. I just wonder in the end what's the point pf making an effort.

Hey brother, don't let that shit get to you. If we worried about every ass that came in here and called us names just for trying to help, we wouldn't be worth our salt. Don't stop trying tacodude you are a unique poster with a wonderful point of view. You know a lot about a great deal of things, I for one always enjoy reading something you have written. That being said, OP answered his own damn question, so lets just let this thread die. tacodude if you wanna chat just hit up my inbox brother.

Well, some people reject good advice when they hear it; so they ignore it. Or in reality they just want people to confirm the belief they already hold? either way, lash out with their frustration and blame the community. real classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.