• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet How much protein should you eat in a day if your lifting weights and trying to put on muscle?

paranoid android

Bluelight Crew
I have been lifting weights now since january and i am considerably stronger now then when i started. I started out only doing 25lbs on the bicep curls and now im working out with 40lbs dumbbells. I have put on a good bit of muscle but i am worried i am not getting enough protein. I always eat protein bars or use protein powder after i work out but meat is expensive so i don't always eat that much protein.

Does it go by body weight? I am 200lbs now so i dont know how much protein i would need in a day now.

Well... A quick way to easily gain muscle is to drink Ensure Plus after your done eating a high protein meal. That Ensure helps a lot if your trying to gain muscle mass.

Ensure plus is a high protein nutritional drink. I'm surprised you've never heard of them. I buy them by the case full.

I have been lifting weights now since january and i am considerably stronger now then when i started. I started out only doing 25lbs on the bicep curls and now im working out with 40lbs dumbbells. I have put on a good bit of muscle but i am worried i am not getting enough protein. I always eat protein bars or use protein powder after i work out but meat is expensive so i don't always eat that much protein.

Does it go by body weight? I am 200lbs now so i dont know how much protein i would need in a day now.

Yes it goes by bodyweight 1-1.5 per lb bodyweight.

It's more complicated than just protein to be honest you need to consider calories in vs calories out and make sure you are hitting your macros. Make sure you are in a surplus if trying to gain weight.