• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How much Opana is safe to take?

HepcatB

Greenlighter
I have a moderate tolerance to opioids. 100mg of morphine gives me a nice buzz, but I have to take at least 30-40mg of hydrocodone to feel it. I may be getting some Opana. How much is safe to take at first? How long does it take to kick in? I'm talking oral delivery - I don't do needles and I'm not keen on snorting things either. I certainly don't want to take too much but I want to be able to feel it. Harm reduction and all. How many mg should I start with? Thanks in advance.

Oral is a waste.... I highly suggest doing it nasally as it only requires 5-10 mg. 2.5 mg no tolerance nasally had me nodding

Be very careful if you decide to change the route of administration as it multiplies the effect considerably, oral = 10%, others are much higher, IV = 10x that of oral.

The Extended-release tablets come in: 5 mg, 7.5 mg, 10 mg, 15 mg, 20 mg, 30 mg, and 40 mg. With your tolerance I think 20mg Extended Release and below would be fairly safe, but long lasting.

Now if they're Instant Release than a 30% drop wouldn't be a bad idea but with the tolerance you describe, 20mg would also be fairly safe and not last near as long. Exercise caution in taking large doses of an ER med as you don't know how you'll react, but be under the influence for quite awhile vs Immediate Release. It should take about 20-40 mins to feel so don't redose any sooner than 90 mins and titrate up slowly as it can turn on you.

Opana IR doses

​Use of OPANA as the first Opioid Analgesic. ​Initiate treatment with OPANA in a dosing range of 10 to 20 mg every 4 to 6 hours as needed for pain. ​Do not initiate treatment with doses higher than 20 mg because of the potential serious adverse reactions .https://www.drugs.com/dosage/opana.html

Opana ER Conversion

Rough estimate of conversion

CONVERSION FACTORS TO OPANA ER
Prior Oral Opioid Approximate Oral
Conversion Factor
Oxymorphone 1
Hydrocodone 0.5
Oxycodone 0.5
Methadone 0.5
Morphine 0.333

Stay Safe! You can always add but not subtract what you've taken.

I got it. It's a little orange 10mg extended release pill. Is it recommended to snort that kind of pill? How much should I start out at snorting?

Oral is a waste.... I highly suggest doing it nasally as it only requires 5-10 mg. 2.5 mg no tolerance nasally had me nodding

Not great harm reduction advice. If the OP doesn?t want to snort anything good on him.

A safer and more efficient method of administration would be plugging. I?m not sure what the rectal boiavailibity would be for oxymorphone but i?m sure those numbers aren?t hard to come by online.

I definitely agree with Jekyl, titrate your dose up just incase your body is a little more sensitive to this specific drug.

After doing some research, I have decided against snorting it. I'll likely just swallow it. Will I be able to feel 10mg? I'm definitely not taking both of them unless I can't feel one of them after and hour or so.

BA for opana is widly debated between being like IV and about the same effectiveness as oral. Again I recommend the nasal route especially if you have the IR pills (I should've mentioned the ER abuse proof you have to swallow). This is coming from someone who's tried every ROA with this compound and was injecting 5-20 mg 3x-4x daily at one point.

You could easily make a nasal spray solution by crushing the pill, mixing it with water, using a syringe to draw it through cotton (as you're not planning to inject it so while micron filters are best it's not necessary as with IV, and either put the solution in a nasal spray bottle or my preferred method of using a nasal spray atomizer attachment for a syringe if not just breaking the tip of an insulin syringe and using that to squirt the solution up my nose.

By all means take it orally. Without tolerance 5 mg should be enough to feel it and you shouldn't go past 10 mg where even that might make you nauseous. I'd honestly recommend start with 5 if they are IR formulations and 10 if they are SR formulations unless you chew it or whatnot then take the same as you would an IR formulation.

To everyone else who criticized me eat a dick... Y'all could just elaborate and have your community members back rather than be a dick because they don't feel the strength to swype type everything all those time.

To everyone(1 mod) else who criticized me eat a dick... Y'all could just elaborate and have your community members back rather than be a dick because they don't feel the strength to swype type everything all those time.
There There now Taco, only one person disagreed with you and in a civil manner. No need to get pissy about it.

The immediate release tablets come in 5 & 10mg strengths and if you really do have a tolerance, one 10mg pill should be fine. After you've tried it out and everything goes smoothly then exploring other ROA's(snorting) would be more prudent as you know how you react to the drug. Endo Pharma has determined that 10mg PO is roughly equal to 10mg of hydrocodone, but be warned, Opana is a different animal in some people. I think 10mg is fine, 5mg would probably have you re dosing while already buzzed.

Have Fun and Stay Safe.

Last edited:
I just thought I'd chime in with some info for the OP, take it FWIW. Oral BA is only 10%, obviously extremely low as drugs go. Nasally it jumps 4x or to 40%. Hence the reason this ROA was suggested. In the spirit of harm reduction, whichever method you do choose, please take these figures into account.

Well i?ll admit i was wrong on the ROA, apparently snorting is second only to IV/IM and plugging is about as effective as oral. Still, no reason to get uppity tacodude.

I?m not trying to be a dick, just pointing out that whether or not oxymorphone is more powerful through the nose it certainly isn?t a healthy way to consume the pills.

It was more the accusations of giving irresponsible advice. Dunno who that is... W.e

Opana was the only pain medicine prescribed to me that did it's job better than ALL medications except H or other drugs like that that I haven't used. My meds are all legal. Even Methadone doesn't do the job that Opana did. Unfortunately I had a sadist as a pain doctor so I got 10 mg Er twice a day and 5mg IR twice a day. My ER Opana should have been 3x a day, And my IR should have been every 6 to 8 hours. He did that to me on every medicine he tried on me and then ignored anything I had to say about how my meds worked. When I questioned him I had to immediately go for a urine screen and come back to his office before he would write my scripts. I was UAd on virtually every visit lol.

I hear you that sucks... I agree although for me it was better with oxycodone SR 3x and the oxymorphone 4-6x, but it probably should've been closer to 4x a day with the ir opana

Opana was the only pain medicine prescribed to me that did it's job better than ALL medications except H or other drugs like that that I haven't used. My meds are all legal. Even Methadone doesn't do the job that Opana did. Unfortunately I had a sadist as a pain doctor so I got 10 mg Er twice a day and 5mg IR twice a day. My ER Opana should have been 3x a day, And my IR should have been every 6 to 8 hours. He did that to me on every medicine he tried on me and then ignored anything I had to say about how my meds worked. When I questioned him I had to immediately go for a urine screen and come back to his office before he would write my scripts. I was UAd on virtually every visit lol.

Yea, I too have a script for Opana ER and apparently the literature says every 12 hours, so I doubt many folks are going to get it prescribed more than twice a day. Although I agree that it's basically an 8 hour med. I too get a breakthrough medication, so I'm able to get from point A to B without too much trouble. However it would be nice to see the protocol get changed from 2x to 3x a day. Hang in there everyone!

The IR should be 8 hours just saying.... I would say 10 hours minimum, but I never used the SR like that as I preferred the OC for oral SR formulation with the om for breakthrough

https://opioidcalculator.practicalpainmanagement.com/conversion.php

This is a link to an Opioid conversion calculator. These applications are going to be your friend should you choose to continue using Opioids. Like most things, you must take the results with a grain of salt. Even this specific calculator has a function to modify the dosage to account for cross-tolerance and such. In general, an Opioid is an Opioid and they can be substituted for one another, but their effects can vary, hence the cross-tolerance function of the calculator.

Basically, if 100mg Morphine is what you like by the oral route, you're going to be taking approximately 25mg Oxymorphone (Opana) to get the same experience. Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions!