• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How much better is lyrica than Gabapentin? And how do they compare to phenibut?

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
I’m just curious everyone seems to say that pregabalin is way better than Gabapentin.

Now Gabapentin never really did much for me. Even taking 1200-2400 mg in a short span I never really felt “high” from it.

Probably because when I used it I already had heavily abused benzos and alcohol so my gaba receptors weren’t inexperienced.

But why is lyrica that much better?

Last edited:
Pregabalin is 4-6 fold more potent than Gabapentin but exactly why I dont know, I suppose its got something to do with receptor affinity.

Pregabalin and Phenibut are not comparable ime. Lyrica was really good. Especially the first 75 mg i took was magic. But as a medical aid it gave me benefits for a long time. It was prescribed to me for general anxiety. When i stopped i had no withdrawal, none. My dose was 225 mg a day but I had leftover's so took less then that. But when reading other peoples experiences it is certainly addictive. Physical and mental like Benzo's.

Phenibut is crap. It makes me feel ill and if i slightly overdid it. Naussea would hunt me several hours. And it had a very inconsistent dose vs effect's type of thing. A one time thing.

Last edited:
Pregabalin and Phenibut are not comparable ime. Lyrica was really good. Especially the first 75 mg i took was magic. But as a medical aid it gave me benefits for a long time. It was prescribed to me for general anxiety. When i stopped i had no withdrawal, none. My dose was 225 mg a day but I had leftover's so took less then that. But when reading other peoples experiences it is certainly addictive. Physical and mental like Benzo's.

Phenibut is crap. It makes me feel ill and if i slightly overdid it. Naussea would hunt me several hours. And it had a very inconsistent dose vs effect's type of thing. A one time thing.

Agreed on the phenibut part, it never really gave me anything but negative effects lol.

I've had both for nerve damage and herniated discs. Lyrica is far superior both medicinally and recreationally in my experience.
It's better at killing pain and it's also a better anxiolytic than gabapentin, and doesn't require the staggering of doses.

Recreationally, Lyrica is probably one of my favorite drugs in higher doses (900mg+).
It's a fascinating compound because it's slightly dissociative, psychedelic and numbing, but also incredibly euphoric.
It impairs motor skill and to some extent, cognitive skills as well.

I'd steer clear from doing it daily though.

Lyrica is stronger...it's kind of a weird drug though, it doesn't take effect for long time. I remember taking 200 mgs once, didn't feel it for about two hours or so until it came time to stand up, then I almost fell over on myself like I was drunk or something. Weird drug

Gabapentin is more subtle and you get the best effect from it when you stagger your dose...I've found that three doses of 400 mgs separated by 45 minute increments works well. It's subtle but there is noticeable anxiolysis and mood-uplift IME, just not with the sedating effect of benzodiazepines...in fact gabapentin seems to give me a weird sort of energy

I never really got much out of phenibut. I think that I'm a non-responder to it or something, maybe I just never had the right product

Lyrica is stronger...it's kind of a weird drug though, it doesn't take effect for long time. I remember taking 200 mgs once, didn't feel it for about two hours or so until it came time to stand up, then I almost fell over on myself like I was drunk or something. Weird drug

Gabapentin is more subtle and you get the best effect from it when you stagger your dose...I've found that three doses of 400 mgs separated by 45 minute increments works well. It's subtle but there is noticeable anxiolysis and mood-uplift IME, just not with the sedating effect of benzodiazepines...in fact gabapentin seems to give me a weird sort of energy

I never really got much out of phenibut. I think that I'm a non-responder to it or something, maybe I just never had the right product

Do you get that same weird energy with Lyrica? That’s my favorite part of Gabapentin.

-GC

I do find pregabalin about 6 times stronger than gabapentin. I like both drugs. Lyrica does seem to give a little more energy in the head. But to me is missing some of the deep down relaxing effect of gabapentin even though it is stronger in the head. I can't go higher than 300 mgs of pregabalin. My normal gabapentin dose is 1800-2400 mgs. Phenibut seems a little different to me, stronger than gabapentin but not as strong as pregabalin. I take gabapentin PRN, and told my doc as much that I did not want to get addicted and all she said was smart as she shook her head yes. So I got the docs stamp of approval on it.

I wonder just how effective both drugs are for nerve pain.I have sciatica andmost times it stays away but when it hits some gabapentin hits it at least works for a day. But just not sure or can't swear to how effective they are for what they are prescribed for.

Phenibut is by far more enjoyable that pregab or gabap at the right dose. Just more enjoyable with less anxiety and lasts a hell of a lot longer. This is just my opinion.
Although they may be cross tolerant to some extent; phenibut is a different beast and unlike pregab and gabap, its not a one trick pony. It has more than one influence on ones receptors and this is dose dependant iirc.
The only thing I do not care for about phenibut is the relatively high dosage compared to pregab. Dose is about the same with gabap but one doesnt have to stagger doses all day to get their buzz on.
All this is just one persons opinion and it may not be the same for anyone else.
What the hell I rambling on about....?
Yall take care and be safe, yeah?
Later

Well i successfully got off clonidine using gabapentin so I'm happy about that, not sure if I'm gonna try pregab but a kid in my sober house has 10 grams of pregabalin powder lol. Trouble.

I've had both for nerve damage and herniated discs. Lyrica is far superior both medicinally and recreationally in my experience.
It's better at killing pain and it's also a better anxiolytic than gabapentin, and doesn't require the staggering of doses.

Recreationally, Lyrica is probably one of my favorite drugs in higher doses (900mg+).
It's a fascinating compound because it's slightly dissociative, psychedelic and numbing, but also incredibly euphoric.
It impairs motor skill and to some extent, cognitive skills as well.

I'd steer clear from doing it daily though.
Man I love this drug. I started out on 150mgs I took 3 was kinda drunk , but when that ran out I started to feel waves of euphoria. Very good stuff

I only know pregabalin but know that the difference is that it gets actively transported into the brain, so you can take high dosages unlike gabapentin which needs to be staggered and is limited in how much you can take.

Pregabalin has a nice high in supra therapeutic dosages, some folks are using up to three grams! But tolerance builds ridiculously. At first, years ago, I got a drunken like high from as little as 360mg's. Then I was on it at 600mg/d against social anxiety and it stopped working. Nowadays I can take 1.2g and feel absolutely nothing! Also with high dosages, like today you get high off 900mg, next day the same amount does nothing anymore.

From what I heard, phenibut is much more sustainable. I dabbled with it a bit done years ago but didn't get much out of it, maybe I dosed too low, or I'm just a non responder.

Pregablin is nearly identical to Gabapentin but substantially better, since it is much more potent and can be taken in a large single dose, unlike gabapentin which is taken in multiple small doses to maximize absorption.

Pregablin isn't anything like Alcohol or Benzos which act on GABA receptors. This is because despite being an analoug of GABA, Pregablin doesn't directly agonize any gaba receptors, and instead is known to inhibit Calcium Channels which transport Glutamate. This causes lowered signalling of Glutamate on many receptors,k namely NMDA. At low doses this can mimic opioid euphoria, however at high doses it can cause hallucinations and dissociation.

Keep in mind all we know for sure is that it inhibits calcium channels, we dont know if this directly impacts NMDA receptors. However due to Pregablins effects, and interactions with other drugs, this is the most likely method of action behind Pregablin's effects.

Pregablin is definitely a worth while drug, just be careful because it can make you nod off and pass out at high doses.

Pregablin is nearly identical to Gabapentin but substantially better, since it is much more potent and can be taken in a large single dose, unlike gabapentin which is taken in multiple small doses to maximize absorption.

Pregablin isn't anything like Alcohol or Benzos which act on GABA receptors. This is because despite being an analoug of GABA, Pregablin doesn't directly agonize any gaba receptors, and instead is known to inhibit Calcium Channels which transport Glutamate. This causes lowered signalling of Glutamate on many receptors,k namely NMDA. At low doses this can mimic opioid euphoria, however at high doses it can cause hallucinations and dissociation.

Keep in mind all we know for sure is that it inhibits calcium channels, we dont know if this directly impacts NMDA receptors. However due to Pregablins effects, and interactions with other drugs, this is the most likely method of action behind Pregablin's effects.

Pregablin is definitely a worth while drug, just be careful because it can make you nod off and pass out at high doses.

Thank you for this info very helpful.

But isn’t that bad? I actually take NAC and glutamate powder because of its antioxidant abilities.

That’s odd honesty

Last edited:
Well, pregabalin has besides the calcium channel inhibition two additional effects: inducing an enzyme which converts glutamate to GABA. And in higher, supra therapeutic dosages, inhibition of glutamate reuptake. Unfortunately I didn't save the pubmed paper about that but maybe I'll find it again if interested.

Pregabalin has cross tolerance with dissociatives. I have a sky high tolerance to ketamine and I analogues, and even 1.5g pregabalin have only little effect.

@SmilexGwG https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28824867/ NMDA is indeed involved

Do you get that same weird energy with Lyrica? That’s my favorite part of Gabapentin.

-GC

I get the same sort of energy with pregabalin. It is very similar to gabapentin but just substantially stronger, not only in dosage but in acuteness of the effects. I get a unique and very enjoyable closed-eye visual effect from pregabalin that I get a little bit from gabapentin at high enough dosage, but it's very immersive and transporting with pregablin. Also the euphoria is much stronger and the intoxication is, too.

Phenibut is quite different. Some people seem to get a lot from it and some don't. Personally I seem to have started to get a little less from it over the years, and more weird body effects. When you dose too high it causes a weird pain inside the bones/muscles or something. It's easy to dose too little, too. But tolerance builds much more slowly than it does with gabapentin and pregabalin. I've spent many years of my life loving phenibut, but lately I prefer pregabalin. Phenibut is more functional, though.

I have to warn you guys about using pregabalin at higher than 1.2g. Took maybe 1.6-1.8g and had solid seizures, waking up a day or two later with some psychotic thoughts (something like the alien docs are going to remotely operate me and will fuck it up, needa escape.) and a seriously scared gf.

I had warnings, little electrical zap feelings through the body, like physical brother of brain zaps but in comparison pretty soft, also reading people taking up to three grams and my experiences with dissociatives which have a huge safety range, I didn't listen.

Thankfully all hints of psychosis and weird exaggeration of my left ear tinnitus have faded after two nights of sleep, I'd say there is no lasting danger so far (knowing that this is impossible to know) but there could easily have been.

Phenibut might be safer, don't know. I never had any seizures I'd know of before.

I have to warn you guys about using pregabalin at higher than 1.2g. Took maybe 1.6-1.8g and had solid seizures, waking up a day or two later with some psychotic thoughts (something like the alien docs are going to remotely operate me and will fuck it up, needa escape.) and a seriously scared gf.

I had warnings, little electrical zap feelings through the body, like physical brother of brain zaps but in comparison pretty soft, also reading people taking up to three grams and my experiences with dissociatives which have a huge safety range, I didn't listen.

Thankfully all hints of psychosis and weird exaggeration of my left ear tinnitus have faded after two nights of sleep, I'd say there is no lasting danger so far (knowing that this is impossible to know) but there could easily have been.

Phenibut might be safer, don't know. I never had any seizures I'd know of before.
Personally I steer of any Drug that gives you seizures, Gabba Pentin is anti seizure. do you have access to benzos?