Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How Maoi qualitatively affects shrooms?

meah

Greenlighter
Hi all,someone will notice a bit cross-posting :p
I'm doing a lot of research about this topic,i would like read your opinions.What do you think about maoi + shrooms ? I would like use psilocybin for therapeutic purposes (anxiety and depression),but i read that adding maoi even increase the therapeutic effect of psilocybin,making trip more calm,more guided,more ayahausca-like ? Do u have experience with maoi + shrooms and shrooms themselves for make a comparison? Thanx

Hey Meah, I believe it depends on the MAOI being used. Harmala alkaloids, antidepressants etc will all have their own effects and each influence the overall experience in different ways.

I can't really imagine it adding much positivity to the experience qualitively, perhaps the strength and duration will be increased. I tried passiflora and psilocybe mushrooms together once but noticed no difference (the effectiveness of passiflora as an MAOI is debatable though).

I'm quite weary of MAOIs though, not sure how warranted that is, but would suggest approaching MAOI-tryptamine combinations with a bit of caution.

There was at least one report on Erowid of someone using Syrian Rue and mushrooms and I think it just increased the strength a bit.

I really enjoyed mixing mushrooms with harmala.
Either from rue or caapi it makes it more spirutual and introspective.
It also greatly prolongs the duration of the experience with alot more visuals in the comedown.

I have not happened to have mixed mushrooms and maois, but have some experience mixing maois with other 4-sub tryptamines, namely 4-aco-dmt and 4-ho-mipt. In both instances the character of the trip is changed significantly. Feelings of euphoria seem to dissipate into a heightened meaningfulness that permeates the experience. It's somewhat hard to put into words but it makes the trip feel more profound for me. It also nearly doubles the potency/duration of the tryptamine, so adjust accordingly and work your way up if not satisfied.

It is correct that different MAOIs can have very different effects or at least harmaline and moclobemide do - maybe other MAOIs would act more like moclobemide since harmala alkaloids are psychedelic in there own right. It's very hard to say how the trip is changed - lets face it 90% of people can't adequately describe how different psychedelics vary but adding a MAOI (I wouldn't bother with passiflora) is a massive improvement. Harmalas have quite a powerful spirit so I guess it is more ayahuasca like for a vague description. Actually even though mushrooms without an MAOI pale to insignificance with the MAOI mix moclobemide seemed the most different to straight shrooms but I preferred harmalas

I really think people over exaggerate harmalas as psychedelic. They are reversible inhibitors, which make them safer to take with things regular maois can't combine with. I bet if they were taken as medical MAOI medications are they wouldn't be considered psychedelic.

I've never heard anybody claim harmalas to be psychedelic, that's a new one to me. Generally people say it promotes a sense of well-being, which I can somewhat agree with and speaks to maois being used as antidepressants. I do notice once I've 'come up' on an maoi but it is subtle, a somewhat dreamlike sensation.

Well read around a bit or try it - harmalas are psychedelic; most people take relatively small doses since all they require are the MAOI effects. Also it is generally accepted that high dose harmalas are quite rough and bodyloaded so in themselves aren't so desirable. Even so some have reported for example visual movement before mushrooms where taken. Remember some Ayahuasca brew only contain Ayahuasca and not the DMT portion - much less likely to be visionary but they exist. This might be beside the point anyway since harmalas seem to synergise so well with tryptamines. As for how they would be considered if taken as meds isn't really relevant - any drug that has multiple effects as a drug at different doses due to its binding affinities is generally categorised at the dose/condition so the same drug could be called an antihistamine at one dose and a SRI at another.

If people are claiming it to be psychedelic it must be due to the loose definition of psychedelia. I wouldn't qualify 'visual movement' as psychedelia, but I agree it can happen. I disagree that there is a dose dependency as in most cases the dose taken is (or should be) sufficient to fully inhibit MAO. Once that point is reached, there is no greater effect for taking more IME.

Yes most ayahuasca brews do not contain DMT, something like 8/10 don't and only have the hoasca and other non-dmt containing plants in it. Those brews don't cause people to trip though.

This is all OT though OP was asking about how maois influence shrooms