• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

how long till methadone is out of system

blackmarket91

Bluelighter
i know most people will suffer from paws after but im curious how long do the physical withdrawals last for methadone curious if a month will be enough of a rehab stint and finishing the rest at home just to try and get over the psychical part at least

How much are you dropping from? Its usually rough the first week and slowly gets better after. A month should be fine for the physical

How much are you dropping from? Its usually rough the first week and slowly gets better after. A month should be fine for the physical

55 mg i tried tapering down once started at 220 got down to 18 in 2017 was a brutal winter with no heat so i went back up to 70 eventually i dont wana go down slowly i feel that will take to much time and if im feeling bad anyways just looking forward to my next dose i might as well just cut it cold turkey

You are determined, that will work in your favor. 55 is still kinda high and im not gonna lie you will be sick but it will pass. The first week will be the worst. By a month you'll be coming around. Do you have any benzos or clonidine to help a little? Make sure you drink lots of water and force yourself to eat

That is a lot to straight drop from. The first week you probably wont even get much withdrawal because you won't even get hit with the brunt of it till the 4th day or so. If you are going to abruptly stop at 55mg you can probably expect to be starting to wind down the withdrawal by the one month mark but it's debatable as to how to define withdrawal because it becomes a point of semantics. I dropped from 30mgs and my physical symptoms would recede and return in cycles for the next couple of months. You will probably still be suffering fairly severe insomnia, some sneezing fits, digestion problems and depression. Everyone is different. I was on methadone for 10yrs and I was still experiencing symptoms that I would define as withdrawal 3 months out and my PAWS lasted for at least a year. However I was also withdrawing from a 1mg daily benzo habit of 7yrs. It was definitely the hardest thing I have ever done.

the amount, a person drops from good people, is irrelevant due to our bodies half life system. Here is a great explanation of how this works. Not being a dick so give me a pass as i'm in the know here. so here is how half life and substance elimination works... but you have to take into play the weird nature of methadone.

Thanks Herby:D

decent basic half life explanation

Pharmacology: Half-life of Drugs

but methadone has a really subjective half life.. in other words its quite varied with an individuals physiology. A good average is two weeks.. but the longest seen is 120 days.. so thats a half life of 120 days.. x five is the elimination.. thats huge as far as any drug. I think it has to due with a subects specific genetic enzimes.

Last edited:
the amount, a person drops from good people, is irrelevant due to our bodies half life system. Here is a great explanation of how this works. Not being a dick so give me a pass as i'm in the know here. so here is how half life and substance elimination works... but you have to take into play the weird nature of methadone.

but methadone has a really subjective half life.. in other words its quite varied with an individuals physiology. A good average is two weeks.. but the longest seen is 120 days.. so thats a half life of 120 days.. x five is the elimination.. thats huge as far as any drug. I think it has to due with a subects specific genetic enzimes.

That makes sense. I used the Burmese method to quit methadone and months later i will still get hit with stomach problems and cold sweats. I thought it was just a cold that didn't last but it's probably still the methadone and i quit at 30mg

dropping straight off of 55mg sounds shocking to me, i've be on methadone for 15 years now and have been using most of that time too. i really wouldn't know what to suggest as to withdrawal procedure, asking as many people who've done a detox can't hurt, but i agree with the other posts that say everybodies withdrawal will be different. whatever happens, good luck !

well tbh i feel withdrawl after a day of not using i got on in 2015 never did drugs before tbh my mother was on it since iw as a child and i hated drugs till some deeply depressing stuff happened and i used to cope which got me addicted

i was a professional athlete before and now i feel like i have the t levels of a 80 year old man just going into the kitchen right now takes everything in me unless i take an extra 100 mgs to give e the drive energy idk how others can function and work a job while being on this iv basically been a zombie past few years i never tried to come off due to the horror stories you hear about but i know if someone in my family was able to do it twice i can i dont care to use the only thing that scares me is the extreme withdrawal and how long it can take as a family member tried tot ell me it lasted 7 months if it was just a month id be able to handle it but 7.. that would wear me down eventually

I don't exactly get what you're trying to say but if you're implying that dropping from 120mgs is no worse than dropping from 30 than you are just wrong. I can tell you that the time I kicked 120mgs in jail for 3 weeks was exponentially more intense than the 30mg drop. Half life elimination is only a small factor in withdrawal intensity. Going cold turkey from a higher dose is most certainly worse.

They were asking about the time frame thats what i all i was referring to. Methadones a bitch but doable.. Did you get yours from a regulated dose clinic or take home from a pharmacy?

You wrote: "how long do the physical withdrawals last for methadone"

Reading my story might shed some light on methadone withdrawals - just remember that it depends on how long you took it and how fast you cut back.
Here's the link to my BL thread: https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/what-is-a-good-taper-to-get-off-25mg-methadone.843852/

During withdrawals, you may feel like it will never get better (I felt that way). You may wonder if you'll never feel truly normal again, but I'm here to tell you that you will feel normal again without methadone. Your body and brain will return to normal and you'll feel like you never used it.

Regards,
Dale