• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How long till medication is no longer affecting the brain?

ib4three

Greenlighter
I am prescribed an antipsychotic medication for a very mild bipolar disorder. Ive stopped this medication before with no major side effects. The half life of my antipsychotic is 18 hours. My question is how long will it take for this antipsychotic to not only not be active, but no longer working as an antagonist to my 5-HT receptors in my brain? I plan to use a recreational drug that is completely diminished by my antipsychotic and want to know how long it will be approximately until I can use that drug with very little diminishing.

What's the name of the drug? Also, if you want to stop taking it, talk to your doctor that prescribes it to you first before you stop, as some medications it's not wise to just stop taking.

The medication is Latuda. Ive only been on it for one month. The reason for taking this medication for me is so mild that my psychiatrist has told me I can stop if id like to and it shouldn't affect me very much.

pretty sure its realtively similar to a Seroquel/Quetiapine.

what are you using it for? somewhat bipolar I take it, since that is what its ultimately used for? also, what is your dosage? because I take seroquel to sleep, not for bipolar problems.

what makes you say you have a very mild bipolar problem!? hopefully you do not come and yell at me for asking this, lol! I am joking. but for real, what makes you say/Dr. say you have a mild bipolar problem? I cant picture someone only having a MILD problem when it comes to being bipolar. also, if you are bipolar, what makes you want to stop taking the drug?

what recreational drug do you plan to use?

Lurasidone is pretty new stuff, just got through approval in 2013. It has a half-life of 18 hours, i'd say a week for most of it to clear your system, it may be longer before things adjust again.

How long were you on it?

I apologize, i just realized how much information I left out on the original post (I wrote it rather haste-fully). My dosage is the starting 40mg and this is the end of my 4th week on it. The reason I say I have very mild bipolar problems is because there was much debate over my psychological diagnosis between my counselor and my psychiatrist. There are a few other problems with me other than bipolar (such as slight narcolepsy and ADD). They both noticed small signs of bipolar since I was young, but never anything that distinctly points out "Hey! This person is definitely bipolar!" So they just tell me its mild and give me one of the weaker medicines and give me the choice of whether I want to continue it or not.

Edit: And the recreational drug im going for is MDMA, something im very comfortable and familiar with

you've used it before and will be taking MDMA how often from here on!?

since it is such a mild diagnosis I would stop if its something you truly want to do; realize that it is totally up to you here. if you feel there is absolutely no different and you are not getting any help, then go ahead and stop. if you start to feel a bit awkward/weird, then go back on. you can easily stop the dosage but continue to buy the script just in case, or at least for the first few months so you have a back up plan.

out of curiosity, what makes you think MDMA will be best for you!? its a recreational drug which cannot be taken daily, so please keep that in mind. also, it known to to help a bit for someone in your situation but it is not considered the best way to go about it. again, you have a SLIGHT problem and there was no firm diagnosis, so it may just be something that is in your head at this point and you feel you have to do something in order to take care of it.

at times, NO DRUGS is the BEST DRUG.

The Latuda will be out of your system in a week for sure. Used to take it, same dose as you.

But I'll warn you that if you are bipolar, taking MDMA can trigger a manic episode. Be safe OP

Thanks guys :) The advice really helped

And i am a previous MDMA user. I follow the three month rule and do it for fun nights that i like to occasionally treat myself to. I for sure will never take it "often". Dont want to ruin my treat ;)