• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: notsmokeymcpot42088 | RUC4

Harm Reduction How long should I wait to snort drugs after being sick/does being sick make snorting less effective?

awitha_teetha

Bluelighter
Joined
Apr 28, 2026
Messages
51
I'm sick with a terrible cold currently and don't want to blow anything because my head is already foggy and don't want to waste a high when I'm sick yk. Does being sick make the drugs less effective? How long should I wait to snort shit again? Any tips for when I get over this cold and nursing my nose back to health? For reference I mainly snort ket, heroin, & MDMA.
 
It makes the drugs less effective and will also keep you unwell for longer.

Could even make you seriously unwell

Maybe just wait until you're well again to get loaded

edit - also snorting mdma is a waste of time. It hits better oral and is too caustic for the nose. Also dont mix mdma and coke (if you do) as it's a shit mix and a waste of both drugs. Also dangerous and makes comedown miles worse
 
It makes the drugs less effective and will also keep you unwell for longer.

Could even make you seriously unwell

Maybe just wait until you're well again to get loaded

edit - also snorting mdma is a waste of time. It hits better oral and is too caustic for the nose. Also dont mix mdma and coke (if you do) as it's a shit mix and a waste of both drugs. Also dangerous and makes comedown miles worse
I figured, I'll stay away for the time being.

I used to rub MDMA on my gums, it's how my older sister taught me how to do it. I just wasn't getting that wow high everyone was always talking about so I switched to snorting. I was probably just getting some shitty gear. I'll try orally again and see how it goes.
 
Uhm. If you are sick do not take drugs. Chemicals are stressing your body, so taking them while your immune system is fighting the disease could lead to have more symptoms, and prolong the recovery. It is a self destructive idea.

About your sinuses: They are irritated already and in a status of misfunctioning. So they will be even more irritated and misfunctioning after snorting chemicals.

So short: drugs may not work like you expect, the after effects will be harder and the recovering longer. Save your stuff for another day.
 
I feel like your question is two-dimensional. First, I think you're wanting to know if being unwell can make a substance less potent. Of course, the answer is that there are too many different conditions to make an objective statement in that regard. If you are talking about influenzal. common cold, sinus infections etc. the answer is no. These conditions do not directly impact the way drugs are metabolized., as far as I know at least. If anyone knows anything, please chime in.

Now, more on the practical side: insufflation in an imperfect environment

This is pretty easy to understand. When you insufflate/sniff/snort dry, powdered material it is going to come into contact with the nasal mucosa and "stick" to the walls of your sinus. The next step is the powder and mucous forming a solution. Osmosis allows the blood vessels lining the walls of your sinuses to then absorb this solution directly into your blood stream.

So, being sick isn't the issue per se. Issues arise when the sinuses are in a state that interferes with this process. A healthy person with a normal functioning sinus system has the ideal conditions for this process. You only want enough moisture. If you have too much mucous in your sinuses, your drugs are liable to be taken up by the mucous and swallowed.

It's not a nightmare scenario for you to end up swallowing some of your drugs, just a bit disappointing. Likewise., if the environment is too dry, you can end up inhaling the drugs, bypassing the mucosa completely and again, swallowing the drugs.

This situation is pretty easy to remedy though.

If you are too dry/irritated, go to the store and get yourself a little bottle of saline with the tip for nasal use. Take the top off and add just a bit of baby oil. Blow your nose gently then administer your saline/baby oil mixture in each nostril. Orient yourself however you need to so it doesn't all immediately get swallowed.

Give it 10 minutes for the oil sink in a bit. Insufflate your drugs. After 45-60 minutes, go back and flush each sinus again to remove debris and prevent irritation. Can be repeated if necessary, within reason.

If they are too moist, blow your nose, flush with saline, insufflate drugs shortly thereafter. Just be sure your sinuses aren't inundated with mucous and you will be fine. The practice of flushing your sinuses with saline following insufflation is just a good habit for everyone anyway.
 
Top