• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How long one must wait after a slight od to resume any opiods?

RainDogtheCat

Bluelighter
I had a minor overdose last night on 7mg of dilaudid (feeling sick, shakes, rapid heart rate, felt like vomiting) I feel much better today haven't taken anything except 1mg clonazepam. Been doing oc for awhile but never had anything happen like what happened last night. Never taking dilaudid again but was wondering when it would be ok to start taking a light dose of oc again. Thanks!

That doesn't sound like an opiate OD. Sounds like a histamine reaction, an allergic reaction to an ingredient in Dilaudid, or, somehow, a precipitated withdrawal.

You can resume your OC anytime at this point.

Never? Opiates are going to destroy your life IMO. It's great don't take me wrong but you'll live your life to get it anytime sooner than you expect.

Did he ask where his continued opiate use was leading ? No, he didn't.

Nearly everyone who's gotten to the point of using really high doses knows its self destructive behavior and isn't sustainable. Comments like these are counter productive and aren't going to deter a single person who's using.

You should be fine resuming OP.

That doesn't sound like an opiate OD. Sounds like a histamine reaction, an allergic reaction to an ingredient in Dilaudid, or, somehow, a precipitated withdrawal.

Really? I mean that sounds ridiculous but it was in fact the first time I had ever taken dil. Are you sure you think that was an allergic reaction and not an OD? I've also had panic attacks before which i thought this was at first but really doubt it was because ive never felt sick like that before. Had pain in my legs too it was awful. Any1 else have an opinion like this?

Really? I mean that sounds ridiculous but it was in fact the first time I had ever taken dil. Are you sure you think that was an allergic reaction and not an OD? I've also had panic attacks before which i thought this was at first but really doubt it was because ive never felt sick like that before. Had pain in my legs too it was awful. Any1 else have an opinion like this?

I am thinking since you went in with taking hydromorphone for the first time you just had a panic attack . Thats what it sounds like to me . I have taken a ton of opiates that at first where new to me ,and it actually gave me a panic attack with bad anxiety . It takes me some time after taking a new opiate to find some joy in it. This is just my opinion though .

I am thinking since you went in with taking hydromorphone for the first time you just had a panic attack . Thats what it sounds like to me . I have taken a ton of opiates that at first where new to me ,and it actually gave me a panic attack with bad anxiety . It takes me some time after taking a new opiate to find some joy in it. This is just my opinion though .

I dunno man I've had a serious panic attack before where I went to the hospital and this was not the same. I truly believe I got sick. I've done lots of other opiates before and never had anxiety the first time. Also I forgot to mention that when I got sick it had been hours since my last rail of dilaudid. I was railing it in small bits throughout the day and felt fine and about 3 hours after my last line that's when I got sick. Does this mean that I did not "OD" and in fact it was something else?

That sounds like you overdosed, not a lethal OD but you took too much for it to be enjoyable.

The rule fo thumb with drugs is wait about 7 half lives for the drug tor each less than 1% of its original concentration... so around 24 to 48 hours later you should be fine.

Next time you do dilaudid, keep your dosage much lower! You'll find if you do too much you don't have any fun whatsoever.

Your described symptoms could have very well characterize a panic attack. An opiate OD means nodding out and never waking up, unless some helps you wake up. I quote Mr. Google, "Opiate overdose symptoms and signs include: decreased level of consciousness and pinpoint pupils. Heart rate and breathing slow down, sometimes to a stop. Blue lips and nails are caused by insufficient oxygen in the blood..." Your symptoms were opposite of that.

Also, what Sekio says is true, but I wouldn't call that an overdose in a traditional sense, you took too much for it to be enjoyable and freaked out.

Maybe you are allergic to opiates? This does happen to people. Or maybe it was an OD. Stay safe.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like an opiate allergy. An allergic reaction would be quite obvious, and would happen the second time you were exposed to an opioid (the first dose would cause no allergic effects and would serve to sensitize the
immune system).

An opiate OD means nodding out and never waking up, unless some helps you wake up

Not neccesarily. An opiate OD does not automatically mean a lethal opiate OD, it just means someone took more opioids than their body can handle.

This sounds like a classic case of confusing what exactly constitutes an OD. It's entirely possible to feel like crap as the euphoric effects of an opioid wear off - the opioids do get metabolised into second line compounds with their own activities after all. And opioids do effect your blood sugar and cortisol levels among other things.

Last edited:
Does this mean that I did not "OD" and in fact it was something else?

It's a sliding scale.
A-PVP for example can be extremely pleasant and enjoyable at the right dose but exceed that dose by a little bit and it can become downright unpleasant, but unpleasant is a long way from a fatal overdose.
Alcohol can be pretty fun, again too much will put you in a world of hurt but doesn't mean you'll end up in the hospital with alcohol poisoning.
Hell, even my beloved cheese burgers can be bad news if you down four, but the heart attack is a long way away.

Take a bit less next time and I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Everything in moderation brother.

It doesn't sound like an opiate allergy. An allergic reaction would be quite obvious, and would happen the second time you were exposed to an opioid (the first dose would cause no allergic effects and would serve to sensitize the
immune system).

Not neccesarily. An opiate OD does not automatically mean a lethal opiate OD, it just means someone took more opioids than their body can handle.

This sounds like a classic case of confusing what exactly constitutes an OD. It's entirely possible to feel like crap as the euphoric effects of an opioid wear off - the opioids do get metabolised into second line compounds with their own activities after all. And opioids do effect your blood sugar and cortisol levels among other things.

I respect your opinion but I disagree. His experience is comparable to someone having one(just one) drink too many. Which by definition of the word overdose, doesn't happen to be one. It's unpleasant, but not deadly. If he vomited while in a nod, that'd be an overdose . That's my opinion based on the definition of the word overdose.

Have you read the definition?

An overdose is defined as "an excessive and dangerous dose" (wikitonary)
"an amount of a drug or medicine that is too much and usually dangerous" (M-W)

One drink too many would be an overdose, in the strictest sense of the word. It's in excess, that is, you took too much, and you thereby create a hazard. An overdose does not mean a lethal dosage.

Last edited:
Have you read the definition?

An overdose is defined as "an excessive and dangerous dose" (wikitonary)
"an amount of a drug or medicine that is too much and usually dangerous" (M-W)

One drink too many would be an overdose, in the strictest sense of the word. It's in excess, that is, you took too much, and you thereby create a hazard. An overdose does not mean a lethal dosage.
Very true. I have overdosed on alcohol a few times and I got sick, blacked out, and woke up still drunk. I also overdosed on cannabis when I was a teenager since I figured that since I had been smoking it for the past few days that I would have a tolerance and had to eat 3g of it, and I started out eating 0.5g and waited 35 mind nothing much was happening but in retrospect it was probably just the effects of a low dose of cannabis, so I ate the rest and got super stoned. But what I described with alcohol and cannabis and OD'ING on them is very common.

He overdosed by definition. ODing does not mean a person is going to die. It means they over dosed.

I admit to having the wrong understanding to word overdose.

Though, even in my previous understanding of it overdose wasn't synonymous with lethality.